Side by side or over under? - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Side by side or over under?

This is a discussion on Side by side or over under? within the Sporting Clays forums, part of the Shotgun Shooters Forum category; I am curious to know what people prefer. I shoot an over under and was thinking bout getting a side by side Sent from my ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Shooters Forum > Sporting Clays

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2016, 01:54 PM   #1

Member #6202
Side by side or over under?

I am curious to know what people prefer. I shoot an over under and was thinking bout getting a side by side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sumgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-05-2016, 02:30 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Which ones fits better? Different sight planes, usually lighter weight, typically field guns. O/Us can also be found in target versions more readily, depending on what your intended use is.
RKB likes this.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 05:03 PM   #3
RKB

Member #2031
^^^What 1OZ said. I shoot sxs more often than o/u, but I no longer do competitions. If I did, I would elect for the better sighting plane with the o/u.
Weight is a major factor, most sxs guns are lighter than a serious target gun.
Case in point - my Krieghoff with the 20ga tubes installed is a hefty 10+ pounds, but my 20ga Merkel sxs weighs in at six.
For hunting or casual clays, I shoot sxs.
RKB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2016, 05:25 PM   #4

Member #6202
Originally Posted by RKB View Post
^^^What 1OZ said. I shoot sxs more often than o/u, but I no longer do competitions. If I did, I would elect for the better sighting plane with the o/u.

Weight is a major factor, most sxs guns are lighter than a serious target gun.

Case in point - my Krieghoff with the 20ga tubes installed is a hefty 10+ pounds, but my 20ga Merkel sxs weighs in at six.

For hunting or casual clays, I shoot sxs.

That makes since. That's some good info I shoot a lot of clays and I hardly ever see anyone using a sxs. I think I'll try one out

Old 11-05-2016, 06:09 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Don't go cheap on the O/U; if money won't allow at least a Beretta or Browning, then look at a good gas semi from Beretta, Fabarm, even Browning or Remington
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 11-05-2016, 06:12 PM   #6

Member #1732
They are both enjoyable to shoot and beautiful to behold. Get at least one of each and enjoy them.
CSM Certified Instructor
NSCA Certified Level II Instructor since 1998
Deep River Sporting Clays and Shooting School
SnapCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 06:46 PM   #7

Member #6202
I disagree with you on the cheapness. I own a yeldiz o/u 12 spz/me tx edition and I love it. I only paid 700 bucks. It shoots like a dream I'd put it up against one of them expensive o/u's any day of the week

under40yards likes this.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:37 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Not for a long time you won't - my Browning sits right at the 300,000 mark and it would be closer to 400 but I switched to a gas gun a few years ago. One repair at 90,000 for new firing pins and springs. Berettas will do the same. For a few shots at some birds once or twice a year, have at it. For grinding up targets every week, there are much better choices than a Yildiz or Huglu or anything else in that price range.
RedRiverII, jestearns and SanRemo like this.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 11-07-2016, 07:30 PM   #9

Member #4993
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
Not for a long time you won't - my Browning sits right at the 300,000 mark and it would be closer to 400 but I switched to a gas gun a few years ago. One repair at 90,000 for new firing pins and springs. Berettas will do the same. For a few shots at some birds once or twice a year, have at it. For grinding up targets every week, there are much better choices than a Yildiz or Huglu or anything else in that price range.
Well put sir well put.
RedRiverII likes this.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:29 AM   #10

Member #3121
Originally Posted by sumgunner View Post
I am curious to know what people prefer. I shoot an over under and was thinking bout getting a side by side
I shoot o/u's and SA's. Both have very similar sight planes. A SXS not so much. I haven't tried a SXS on SC, but I would think there would be a time in the flight of quartering away targets that the barrels could actually interfere with tracking a bird...mind you this is a guess.