Side by side or over under? - Page 9 - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Side by side or over under?

This is a discussion on Side by side or over under? within the Sporting Clays forums, part of the Shotgun Shooters Forum category; Originally Posted by SanRemo I would think that a SxS would be harder to get your money back on down the road. Depends on the ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Shooters Forum > Sporting Clays

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2019, 05:43 AM   #81
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Originally Posted by SanRemo View Post
I would think that a SxS would be harder to get your money back on down the road.

Depends on the SxS; some you could get more. Cheap Stevens/Savage? Money loss. High-grade Ithaca, Parker, H&H? Money maker
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-18-2019, 08:49 AM   #82

Member #15702
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
What gun are you using? Big difference in swing dynamics between a 32" 9# target O/U and a 26" 6.5# field gun......
Rem 1100 28" barrel. Only 1-sight. Been trying for form, mount, both eyes open, etc. hope broken birds will follow.
Tucker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:55 AM   #83
Super Moderator

Member #1368
You do not need sights; your eyes are the sights. What it sounds like, however, is that the stock does not fit you quite right.
The 1100 is a great gun, but like any other, FIT is key.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2019, 05:47 PM   #84

Member #16034
I wish I could find my earlier post about SxS's, but here goes my current thoughts. The first shotgun I purchased was a used 16ga Stevens SxS in the late '60's. I have no idea what I did with it, but I sure wish I had it today. Since then I have bought, sold, and traded numerous shotguns (and other firearms) over the years, having regretted getting rid of only a few. About 1 1/2 years ago, I caught the SxS bug 'real bad'. I am in the process of selling off the majority of my firearm collection, replacing it with quality Side-by-Side shotguns. So far, the finest is an Italian made, 16 gauge, Side-by-Side F.A.I.R., with double triggers, and it is a beauty. I'm presently waiting delivery of a .410 AyA SxS . I'm 74 years, in poor health, and don't get to hunt birds or shoot clay targets as much as I would like. My son is not interested in shotgun sports or hunting; my two brothers would love to have some of my shotguns, but they both have the money to buy their own; and I've already told my only grandson that I'm reducing my collection so he will only inherit the select few that I have decided to keep. There is nothing that can compare to the feel and balance of a beautiful, well-made, SxS shotgun. Select one that fits you correctly and you will be ready for the perfect day in the field or at the range.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:28 PM   #85

Member #6849
I see far more O/U's on the range than SXS, but if a gun fits well, shoot it! It's been a while since there have been a lot of SXS on the market. Over the course of my lifetime, there have been a few quality guns brought out, but they don't seem to sell well enough to keep regenerating.
Aldo is offline   Reply With Quote