Side by side or over under? - Page 2 - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Side by side or over under?

This is a discussion on Side by side or over under? within the Sporting Clays forums, part of the Shotgun Shooters Forum category; There ARE SxS specific events at the bigger SC events. There is also The Vintagers where folks shoot their really OLD SxS at sporting. Personally, ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Shooters Forum > Sporting Clays

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2016, 12:11 PM   #11
Super Moderator

Member #1368
There ARE SxS specific events at the bigger SC events. There is also The Vintagers where folks shoot their really OLD SxS at sporting. Personally, I would think that if the gun fits, then using a SxS shouldn't present any more or less disadvantage on quartering targets. Since SC, like trap and skeet before it, started as a hunting practice game for the offseason, both skeet and SC have a lot of quartering targets. More likely (and this is JMO), most folks do not spend the time or money to get the stock fitted and might see a little too much rib.
I love the lines of my SxS, but I DO have to be mindful to keep my head a little lower on the comb else I shoot over.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-10-2016, 01:29 PM   #12

Member #3745
I didn't know they had Vintage Old SxS events . That would be interesting . Not many companies make SxS now days , do they ?
ronlhodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:54 PM   #13

Member #3121
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
... Personally, I would think that if the gun fits, then using a SxS shouldn't present any more or less disadvantage on quartering targets...
You could be right, but Mike Yardley seems to be in my corner on this theory.

From an article he wrote on O/U vs SXS:
"As far as practical shotgun marksmanship is concerned, the over and under makes things just a little easier on paper and often in practice too, especially at long quartering and going-away targets."

There's got to be something or you would see more of them on the SC course. To me they are totally uncomfortable (awkward) but really cool looking...on a wall over the fire place sharing the room with an Irish Setter.

Old 11-10-2016, 05:49 PM   #14
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Originally Posted by ronlhodges View Post
I didn't know they had Vintage Old SxS events . That would be interesting . Not many companies make SxS now days , do they ?
Sure they do - at a wide variety or price points from the Turkish guns from Huglu/CZ and Akus to the mid-range Spanish guns ($3-$9K) to the higher end guns from H&H, Purdey, DMB, Beretta, etc.

You can spend as little as $1000 to well over $100K for new guns. Older used US-made guns from LC Smith, etc. can be had for somewhere around the new CZ gun price points.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 11-10-2016, 08:34 PM   #15

Member #4993
Look into the southern sxs in NC. You will find all the big names with booths set up and lots of knowledgeable sxs shooters there.
RedRiverII likes this.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:25 AM   #16
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Check out their site:

The Vintage Gunners - Vintage Gunners
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 11-11-2016, 05:25 AM   #17

Member #6249
As an enthusiast, and a voracious reader, I'm starting to see some interest in sxs. As this sport becomes more and more popular we're going to see some souped up sxs in the game. I'm not certain about score improvement but the 'cool' factor will come in to play. Look what 'cool' has done for the M16, gigantic after market industries and renewed interest. Then again I could be wrong.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:27 AM   #18
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Originally Posted by Mad Murdock View Post
Look into the southern sxs in NC. You will find all the big names with booths set up and lots of knowledgeable sxs shooters there.
THAT one is one of the biggest and best - and don't forget to wear your appropriate attire - no sneakers, jeans, T shirt and ball cap there....
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 11-11-2016, 05:31 AM   #19
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Originally Posted by RedRiverII View Post
As an enthusiast, and a voracious reader, I'm starting to see some interest in sxs. As this sport becomes more and more popular we're going to see some souped up sxs in the game. I'm not certain about score improvement but the 'cool' factor will come in to play. Look what 'cool' has done for the M16, gigantic after market industries and renewed interest. Then again I could be wrong.
Like this one?:
RBL 12- Sporting Clays Model, 12ga

RedRiverII likes this.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by oneounceload; 11-11-2016 at 05:33 AM.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:11 AM   #20

Member #6249
9lbs, not too shabby.