First time shooting sporting clays - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

First time shooting sporting clays

This is a discussion on First time shooting sporting clays within the Sporting Clays forums, part of the Shotgun Shooters Forum category; Today was the first time I had ever tried sporting clays. I was at the Ben Avery Shooting Facility in northern Phoenix AZ. Was a ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Shooters Forum > Sporting Clays

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2016, 12:44 AM   #1

Member #62
First time shooting sporting clays

Today was the first time I had ever tried sporting clays. I was at the Ben Avery Shooting Facility in northern Phoenix AZ. Was a very nice facility. I tried I think 6 of the 10 or so stations they had. They even had one that simulated a rabbit running across the ground. It was pretty fun. Here is a short slow motion video of me hitting a double pull. Also a video of the rabbit clay. it comes in quick from the left of the screen

Last edited by BedroomHowitzer; 03-22-2016 at 01:01 AM.
BedroomHowitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-22-2016, 05:21 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #1368
You've done gone and had your first taste of the crack cocaine of shotgun sports..........soon you'll start shooting those charity/fundraisers and then the allure of competition creeps in. From there it's another new gun mania and planning vacations around the country based on the big blast events held in various places!
That's when you know you've been sucked into the abyss of the dark side and have become a "Clayaholic"................... Hang on tight, the ride can get bumpy at times!
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:12 AM   #3

Member #1248
Howitzer, your video's are locked down as private. I would enjoy seeing them.
I started out on the five-stand and last year shifted over to sporting clays, best move I ever made in regards to clay sports.(except acquiring a Benelli)
I joined the NSCA(National Sporting Clays Association) and fell into the GA sporting clays circuit which offers a wide variety of venues and locations within a comfortable driving distance at a reasonable cost. This works well for me, I enjoy shooting at different courses, get to meet lots of friendly shooters and enjoy the facilities ranging from tiny cabins to huge exclusive resorts. Next Saturday I shoot at the "Big Red Oak Plantation" near Gay, GA. I have never shot there before and that adds to the fun, a new unknown place to shoot.

mydogmax likes this.
LoFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2016, 11:19 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Member #1368
You will like BRO, Lo! I reffed the GA State (and National FITASC Gran Prix there last year. Nice folks, real pretty grounds.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:13 PM   #5

Member #62
Originally Posted by LoFlyer View Post
Howitzer, your video's are locked down as private. I would enjoy seeing them.

Fixed...I think so anyways.

I was by myself out there yesterday. Im sure the delay beeps gave that away. I plan on going back, but it was $10 bucks a round. Seemed a little steep. Or if that's the going price, it might be a privilege rather than a regular occurrence. And yes I know shooting isn't a cheap hobby.

Last edited by BedroomHowitzer; 03-22-2016 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:32 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Please define "round". In sporting clays that is typically 100 targets, which around here run $40-$50/100.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:57 PM   #7

Member #62
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
Please define "round". In sporting clays that is typically 100 targets, which around here run $40-$50/100.
At this range I paid for two rounds, of 25 clays each
That adds up to $40 for 100 clays. So if your paying. 40-50/100 I guess that's about the going rate. It just seems a little steep. I don't know. I guess I figured that it would be more close to price of skeet/trap which at this range was 6$ a round I think.

Last edited by BedroomHowitzer; 03-22-2016 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:04 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Originally Posted by BedroomHowitzer View Post
At this range I paid for two rounds, of 25 clays each
That adds up to $40 for 100 clays. So if your paying. 40-50/100 I guess that's about the going rate. It just seems a little steep. I don't know. I guess I figured that it would be more close to price of skeet/trap which at this range was 6$ a round I think.
Trap requires 1 machine; skeet requires 2; both only require one type of target; a 14 station sporting clays course needs 28 machines that have to be amortized. They also use standard targets, midis, minis, rabbits, and battues. and require a LOT more land, so costs are a LOT more.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:31 PM   #9

Member #62
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
Trap requires 1 machine; skeet requires 2; both only require one type of target; a 14 station sporting clays course needs 28 machines that have to be amortized. They also use standard targets, midis, minis, rabbits, and battues. and require a LOT more land, so costs are a LOT more.

I guess that makes...when you break it down like that.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:12 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Member #148
skeet and trap is the poor mans clay game.
lucky for me, I prefer it!
Skeet & Trap Range Owner
bobski is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

shotgun forums

shotgun world forums sporting clays

sporting clay shooting forums

sporting clays forum

Click on a term to search for related topics.