Chokes..Chokes..Chokes ! - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Chokes..Chokes..Chokes !

This is a discussion on Chokes..Chokes..Chokes ! within the Sporting Clays forums, part of the Shotgun Shooters Forum category; An interesting thing happened yesterday when we were shooting some SC's. One of the instructors at the range was giving lessens to some ladies who ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Shooters Forum > Sporting Clays

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2020, 04:00 PM   #1

Member #9178
Chokes..Chokes..Chokes !

An interesting thing happened yesterday when we were shooting some SC's.
One of the instructors at the range was giving lessens to some ladies who were using A300 rental guns and while we were all waiting our turn to shoot the ladies asked the instructor about our guns. We were both shooting Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting with extended chokes. As he was explaining the difference between a Semi and Over/under he asked what chokes we were using. We told him we had a Lite Modified in the bottom barrel and a Full in the top. He remarked that we were too over choked for the course. That we should be using an Improved Cylinder in the bottom and the Lite Mod in the top. This got me to thinking that maybe he had a point. Our course does have some long fliers but I can usually take them with my A400 and a LM choke. Interested in any comments and/or suggestions. For those of you in Florida we are shooting at Tampa Bay Sporting Clays.
Remove Ads
Old 12-13-2020, 06:48 PM   #2

Member #460
Shoot what you are comfortable with. For 150 years everything that was shot with shotguns had fixed chokes......Nobody complained........Some people change chokes at every station. All looking for an edge........In TRUTH. It's the Indian. Not the arrow that counts.
The Happy Kaboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 07:08 PM   #3

Member #9178
!

Originally Posted by The Happy Kaboomer View Post
Shoot what you are comfortable with. For 150 years everything that was shot with shotguns had fixed chokes......Nobody complained........Some people change chokes at every station. All looking for an edge........In TRUTH. It's the Indian. Not the arrow that counts.
I agree but every once in a while some one tells you something that may help... I will try the instructors suggestion and post my results... Good , bad , or indifferent
DaveSy and ramblinrebel like this.

Old 12-14-2020, 08:27 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Member #1368
No need for a full at Tampa unless you are shooting the bunker - and then only for your second shot. I don't believe Gary or Jake set a target greater than 40 yards. LM/M if that makes you comfortable; or start with IC/LM. Personally, I like LM/M in my Beretta unless there is one of those really stupid 5 yard rabbits...........

All that said, if they still have their pattern steel, see what your actual pattern is with all of your chokes. Just because they are marked a certain constriction does not mean they perform as such.
Who was the instructor?
DaveSy likes this.
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:33 AM   #5

Member #5570
I don't shoot there but I do shoot at a place that regularly sets a few birds at 80+ yards. I've verified that with a Bushnell yardage pro 1000 rangefinder.

I use a modified or I/C in the bottom barrel and full in the top for that reason.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:45 AM   #6

Member #460
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
I don't shoot there but I do shoot at a place that regularly sets a few birds at 80+ yards. I've verified that with a Bushnell yardage pro 1000 rangefinder.

I use a modified or I/C in the bottom barrel and full in the top for that reason.
80 yards? What the point in shooting at it at that distance. You probably wouldn't shoot at or kill a live bird at 80 yards(w/any choke). So why shoot at a a fake one at that distance?
The Happy Kaboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:30 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Because the setter made it for a challenge. Sporting stopped being about hunting replication decades ago.
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 01:45 PM   #8

Member #5570
I spent most of my life hunting and no, I won't take a shot at a bird over around 50 yards away.

As oneounceload said, it's a challenge. They like to do 80+ yard crossers where I shoot and it makes for one hekkuva long lead.
oneounceload likes this.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 03:37 PM   #9

Member #9178
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
No need for a full at Tampa unless you are shooting the bunker - and then only for your second shot. I don't believe Gary or Jake set a target greater than 40 yards. LM/M if that makes you comfortable; or start with IC/LM. Personally, I like LM/M in my Beretta unless there is one of those really stupid 5 yard rabbits...........

All that said, if they still have their pattern steel, see what your actual pattern is with all of your chokes. Just because they are marked a certain constriction does not mean they perform as such.
Who was the instructor?
I do not know what the instructor s name is but he has been around for awhile. Nice guy always very pleasant and has helped some anyone who asked. His demeanor was the reason I took his advice to heart and want to try his system They do have a "rabbit" on the Red Course that skips across water. Left to right. It is really heart breaking when you miss and as the shot hits the water you get a good picture of how far off you are LOL
oneounceload likes this.
Old 12-14-2020, 03:39 PM   #10

Member #9178
Originally Posted by Flash View Post

I remember you telling us about these long targets in another post... Thankfully I have not come up against anything that severe
Flash likes this.