O/U's and chokes - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

O/U's and chokes

This is a discussion on O/U's and chokes within the Sporting Clays forums, part of the Shotgun Shooters Forum category; We were out shooting some Sptg Clays and a group ahead of us was having an open discussion about the chokes they were using in ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Shooters Forum > Sporting Clays

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2020, 12:47 PM   #1

Member #9178
O/U's and chokes

We were out shooting some Sptg Clays and a group ahead of us was having an open discussion about the chokes they were using in their O/U's.... A couple of guys were adamant about using the same choke in each barrel. And a couple of guys felt that they should use different chokes. They asked my opinion and I said that I went with the "different chokes" group. When asked "Why?" I said that you increase your odds. My thinking is that you have a barrel selector and two different chokes you can use them together. Say you have an IC choke in the bottom barrel and a LM choke in the top barrel. If the first target is the further out of the two you would set your selector to fire the top barrel first and then the bottom. If the first target out is the nearer of the two you set the selector to fire the bottom barrel first and the the top barrel. One of the four guys ahead of me could not comprehend my thinking. Thoughts from the group ?
Remove Ads
Old 10-14-2020, 01:17 PM   #2

Member #5570
You do exactly the same thing that I do. The only way I'd use the same chokes in both barrels would be if all the presentations were at approximately the same distance, something which isn't going to happen in Sporting Clays.

It's what I do in skeet, however.
Flash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:36 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Originally Posted by one eyed shooter View Post
We were out shooting some Sptg Clays and a group ahead of us was having an open discussion about the chokes they were using in their O/U's.... A couple of guys were adamant about using the same choke in each barrel. And a couple of guys felt that they should use different chokes. They asked my opinion and I said that I went with the "different chokes" group. When asked "Why?" I said that you increase your odds. My thinking is that you have a barrel selector and two different chokes you can use them together. Say you have an IC choke in the bottom barrel and a LM choke in the top barrel. If the first target is the further out of the two you would set your selector to fire the top barrel first and then the bottom. If the first target out is the nearer of the two you set the selector to fire the bottom barrel first and the the top barrel. One of the four guys ahead of me could not comprehend my thinking. Thoughts from the group ?
Until you get that one station with two really close or two really far (like FITASC can be). Many of the top dogs use 2 Mods; their thinking is to use enough choke for those at distance and to focus small on close targets and simply crush them. Realize, there isn't much difference between a IC and LM as far as patterns go. If it isn't at least .010 difference, you might as well not bother. When I use my gas gun, I carry a SK and IM with the LM in the barrel most of the time. So, a .005, .015, and a .030.
one eyed shooter likes this.
oneounceload is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2020, 07:00 PM   #4

Member #9178
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
Until you get that one station with two really close or two really far (like FITASC can be). Many of the top dogs use 2 Mods; their thinking is to use enough choke for those at distance and to focus small on close targets and simply crush them. Realize, there isn't much difference between a IC and LM as far as patterns go. If it isn't at least .010 difference, you might as well not bother. When I use my gas gun, I carry a SK and IM with the LM in the barrel most of the time. So, a .005, .015, and a .030.
I should have mentioned that I was shooting my A400 with a Kicks #15 choke in it. The #15 is equivalent to a LM. And that I hit 48 0ut of 50 targets.... My best day. Normally I will hit 40 out of 50 and watch Mrs. one eye to shoot better
oneounceload likes this.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:07 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Yep, LM is a great choke for a one barrel gun for MOST presentations.
RUT likes this.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:23 AM   #6

Member #9178
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
Yep, LM is a great choke for a one barrel gun for MOST presentations.
And a bit of LUCK makes for a good day..... BTW TBSC has revamped their Yellow course.. They have built a new lake and put two stations over it with 4 machines at each station... All 8 targets are fast, low and difficult... We love it @!
oneounceload likes this.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:52 PM   #7

Member #17442
Good knowledge shared here.
ramblinrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:29 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Originally Posted by one eyed shooter View Post
And a bit of LUCK makes for a good day..... BTW TBSC has revamped their Yellow course.. They have built a new lake and put two stations over it with 4 machines at each station... All 8 targets are fast, low and difficult... We love it @!

And they're having a shoot this weekend; I just wish my drive hadn't gone from 1 hour to 5 or we'd be shooting together a lot!
Old 10-19-2020, 01:44 PM   #9

Member #17580
In MY SKB or Citori O/U Top barrel full choke bottom IM or M depending on course .
OU12/20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:57 PM   #10

Member #9178
Originally Posted by OU12/20 View Post
In MY SKB or Citori O/U Top barrel full choke bottom IM or M depending on course .
And that gives you 4 options.... Using the same choke in both barrels just doesn't make sense to me, but I learned a long time ago to never disagree with any shooter or fisherman's methods. If it works for him... Then he is happy.
ramblinrebel likes this.