New to sporting clays. Choke opinions - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

New to sporting clays. Choke opinions

This is a discussion on New to sporting clays. Choke opinions within the Sporting Clays forums, part of the Shotgun Shooters Forum category; Hello all, after nearly 30 years Iíve decided since I retired to get back into trap shooting. As it turns out a neighbor shoots sporting ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Shooters Forum > Sporting Clays

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2020, 03:19 PM   #1

Member #17942
New to sporting clays. Choke opinions

Hello all, after nearly 30 years Iíve decided since I retired to get back into trap shooting. As it turns out a neighbor shoots sporting clays so I decided to give it a try. Really liked it although I didnít do well at all I knew with practice Iíd be fine. Years ago in trap I consistently broke 85-90 every week. I just bought a browning 725 sporting with a 32 inch barrel. Chokes confuse me a bit, Iíve seen guys say just shoot LM and IC and youíll be fine. Opinions please.
Johnnyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-13-2020, 03:46 PM   #2

Member #9178
Originally Posted by Johnnyblues View Post
Hello all, after nearly 30 years Iíve decided since I retired to get back into trap shooting. As it turns out a neighbor shoots sporting clays so I decided to give it a try. Really liked it although I didnít do well at all I knew with practice Iíd be fine. Years ago in trap I consistently broke 85-90 every week. I just bought a browning 725 sporting with a 32 inch barrel. Chokes confuse me a bit, Iíve seen guys say just shoot LM and IC and youíll be fine. Opinions please.
I shoot 2 different guns when I shoot sporting clays. When I shoot my Beretta A400 I use a Light Modified. I find that it is the best all around choke (for me) when I need to shoot on report or true doubles.
When I shoot my Silver Pigeon O/U I shoot a Modified in the lower barrel and a Full or Improved Modified choke in the upper barrel. I use my barrel selector switch to change which barrel shoots first depending on which target I want to take first.
oneounceload likes this.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:16 PM   #3

Member #5570
It all depends on the distance to the presentations at the individual Sporting Clays field.

Mine has very few presentations inside of 40 yards and quite a few from 60 to 85 yards out so I use a modified/full combo.

Most places seem to have closer presentations though, and in those IC/LM would be great.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2020, 06:49 AM   #4

Member #14966
You could do like all the "Pro's" do and carry every choke ever made since the dawn of time and change out at every station...
The Happy Kaboomer likes this.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:08 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Actually, most pros don't change their chokes at all; they're too busy making their plan of attack for that particular presentation.

Until one gets more confident, a shooter needs one for close, one for most and one for far. When I was shooting my A400, that meant in my case I carried a Skeet and an Improved Modified and the Light Modified in the barrel.

With my O/U, I start with a Light Modified in the bottom, and a Modified in the upper (because I don't have a second LM) I carry a SK and IM in my bag. The skeet is mainly for those 5 yard rabbits and the IM is for those 1-2 stations where the crossers are at 50 yards.

So, what will work for you? As Flash mentioned, it all depends on where you shoot and what types of targets they throw. Are they set for new shooters and charity shoots for grins and giggles or are they set for NSCA tournaments?
Johnnyblues likes this.
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 04:56 PM   #6

Member #9178
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post

So, what will work for you? As Flash mentioned, it all depends on where you shoot and what types of targets they throw. Are they set for new shooters and charity shoots for grins and giggles or are they set for NSCA tournaments?
The courses Mrs. One eye and I shoot weekly consist of 7 stations and we shoot 2 sets at each station both are usually "on report". If we are feeling quite confident in our shooting that day we will shoot "true doubles" on some sets. We never change chokes on the courses . She shoots a Franchi O/U and as mentioned before I shoot either a Beretta SP O/U or an A400. Confidence in your selection goes a long way in determining your success. Once you find out what works best for you on the courses you shoot... stick with them and watch your numbers go up.
Johnnyblues likes this.
Old 08-24-2020, 04:57 PM   #7

Member #6849
It depends on the course, but I've settled into IC/IC. I have also used IC/Lt Mod with success.
Aldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:35 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Member #1368
If I was to go with no changing (or fixed chokes) and I only shot sporting/FITASC, I would have either 2 Light Mods or 2 Mods and call it good. I would carry in my bag a box of spreaders for that 5 yard rabbit, a box of 1-1/8 for that one station with the long crossers and a 1oz load of either 8 or 7.5 for everything else.
Too many folks think changing a choke from IC to LM is going to help - it isn't. Unless you are changing constrictions15 thou or more, run whatcha brung.
RKB and Flash like this.
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:29 PM   #9

Member #454
As stated above it depends on the course. I shoot primarily at 2 courses, and occasionally at a 3rd. One course is in the woods and few birds are more than 30 yards. I use skeet under IC for that one. Another course has most all targets between 25 and 40 yards, and I usually go with IC under LM for that one. The third course has the biggest variety of distances, some really close and some out to 60 yards. For that course I actually carry my chokes and make changes as needed.

I shoot 1 oz. 7.5 loads for 90% of targets, but I also carry a pocket full of 1 1/8 oz shells for those long ones.
oneounceload and Lothianwilly like this.
Ernest T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 06:17 AM   #10

Member #17294
I use lm,lm something less for me to think about.
oneounceload likes this.
Lothianwilly is offline   Reply With Quote