Etiquette - Page 4 - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Etiquette

This is a discussion on Etiquette within the Sporting Clays forums, part of the Shotgun Shooters Forum category; I had two major 'triggers' when I smoked, coffee and beer. I went two years without either one, man was I a grouchy SOB first ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Shooters Forum > Sporting Clays

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2020, 06:18 PM   #31
RKB

Member #2031
I had two major 'triggers' when I smoked, coffee and beer. I went two years without either one, man was I a grouchy SOB first thing in the morning!
A somewhat lesser trigger was driving. Get in, start the car, hit the road, light one up. Part of all of it is muscle memory, even after 24 years, occasionally when I'm tooling down the road with no one else in the car, my subconscious sends my right hand into my t-shirt pocket to grab a smoke that will never be there.
RKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-14-2020, 08:13 PM   #32

Member #9178
Originally Posted by RKB View Post
I had two major 'triggers' when I smoked, coffee and beer. I went two years without either one, man was I a grouchy SOB first thing in the morning!
A somewhat lesser trigger was driving. Get in, start the car, hit the road, light one up. Part of all of it is muscle memory, even after 24 years, occasionally when I'm tooling down the road with no one else in the car, my subconscious sends my right hand into my t-shirt pocket to grab a smoke that will never be there.
I agree with the coffee and beer as my triggers also. Smoking in the car/truck not so much but, I did miss the small triangular vent windows that the older model vehicles had. It allowed you to smoke and vent the excess out the window even in Winter.
One of the most missed times was the glow of after spending time in the arms of a loving woman. Cured that by moving ash trays and cigarettes out of the bedroom
oneounceload and RKB like this.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:54 AM   #33

Member #15516
Etiquette should be observed in all shooting sports.

My first trip back to the skeet field a week or so ago, there were two fellas shooting trap. Both regulars and known to me. I figured I would wait until they were done and see if they wanted to join me for a round or two of skeet. While waiting three other regulars showed up and after the trap shooters finished, they changed their chokes and joined up with the three new shooters and they started a round of skeet. Since they squaded up, I just went back and took a seat near the club house.

One of the workers who was reloading the trap machine, told me to go join them...I commented that they already had a full squad. He said to go ahead and the other shooters said to come on too. I worked at this range as a young man in the late 70's and then (and now) the range rules state maximum squad size is 5...NO exceptions.

I did not enjoy myself as I felt awkward and left after that one round. It should have never happened as the range employee shouldn't have allowed it and the new guys that came should have waited or shot another field.

I am sure they all felt I over-reacted and the fault was mine. I will be going back Thursday of Friday and if asked, I will let anyone know what happened and my feelings on the matter.
richg99 likes this.
jwsmith1959 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2020, 07:56 AM   #34

Member #15516
Etiquette works at the rifle and pistol range too. Shooters should use a brass catcher if they know their semi auto weapons sling brass sideways. Shooters with muzzle brakes should set themselves up as far away from others as possible. To me, most of these things are just common sense, but I have been shooting over 50 years and brought up on the range thinking safety and of others around me.
Jack Ryan likes this.
jwsmith1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:21 AM   #35
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Originally Posted by jwsmith1959 View Post
Etiquette works at the rifle and pistol range too. Shooters should use a brass catcher if they know their semi auto weapons sling brass sideways. Shooters with muzzle brakes should set themselves up as far away from others as possible. To me, most of these things are just common sense, but I have been shooting over 50 years and brought up on the range thinking safety and of others around me.
Reminds me of a time when I lived in Carson City. There is a public shooting park for rifle and pistol and full auto.
I get to the rifle range first thing and I am the only one there. This place had 35-40 ambi shooting benches under cover. Another guy shows up and sets up right next to me and pulls out a .338 with a muzzle break. The concussive effect was so bad, I stopped and waited until he was done. What an ass he was! I guess he wanted to show off his cool new elk rifle
jwsmith1959 and Jack Ryan like this.
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 03:03 PM   #36

Member #16968
Originally Posted by Triggerfinger View Post
I agree with setting your gun in the rack and stepping back. I like getting an extra look at targets any chance I get and donít mind someone doing the same. When I first started shooting I found it intimidating to have a group behind our station but donít feel that way anymore.
If "never knowing where the target is going..." is part of the game, isn't that sort of cheating to "run up behind" another group so you can watch it at every station?
Old 02-04-2020, 05:06 PM   #37
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Originally Posted by Jack Ryan View Post
If "never knowing where the target is going..." is part of the game, isn't that sort of cheating to "run up behind" another group so you can watch it at every station?
For sporting clays? No it isn't cheating to watch the squad in front of you as long as you do not interfere, get in that squad's way, etc.
When a squad was shorthanded, I will offer to pull for them, let's me stand close and I get to see some extra show birds so to speak.
RKB and Jack Ryan like this.
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:17 PM   #38

Member #16968
Sounds like it a lot more like trap than the SC crowd wants to let on as far as the knowing where every shot is going to go.

Even in regular trap you never know what direction it will go in the field, let alone WOBBLE trap.
oneounceload likes this.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:39 AM   #39

Member #5570
When I shoot SC, I do it alone or with Mrs. Flash pulling for me, but I don't compete.

I also don't do show birds, I just look at the diagram they have drawn at each station which is fairly accurate, mount the gun and call pull. It's a lot more like hunting that way.

Also after every shoot there are no diagrams up for a few days so every pull is a surprise to me.
Jack Ryan likes this.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:22 PM   #40

Member #9178
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
For sporting clays? No it isn't cheating to watch the squad in front of you as long as you do not interfere, get in that squad's way, etc.
When a squad was shorthanded, I will offer to pull for them, let's me stand close and I get to see some extra show birds so to speak.
I usually shoot with the same two people and we rotate who leads off at each station. The lead off can choose to shoot the targets one at a time "on call" or shoot them both "on report or doubles" if they so choose. Their second shots are always determined by the posted card. The lead off is scored as such. The following two shooters must shoot per the posted card.. by rotating the lead off everyone gets some easy looks. Our club doesn't offer show pairs so we just play this way.