Etiquette - Page 3 - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Etiquette

This is a discussion on Etiquette within the Sporting Clays forums, part of the Shotgun Shooters Forum category; Iím down in Sarasota....

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Shooters Forum > Sporting Clays

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2020, 02:05 PM   #21

Member #16972
Iím down in Sarasota.
Triggerfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-12-2020, 02:22 PM   #22

Member #9178
Originally Posted by Triggerfinger View Post
Iím down in Sarasota.
We get down your way every so often to shoot at Nokomis. I really like that place.
If you ever get up around Tampa try Tampa Bay Sporting Clays.
Triggerfinger likes this.
Old 01-12-2020, 04:44 PM   #23
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Originally Posted by one eyed shooter View Post
There is nothing so humbling as missing an easy shot. Whether it be in Sporting Clays or Golf. I mostly shoot with the same group and, encouragement is the only comment we make. We all laugh at ourselves but never at each other. You never know when YOU are going to be the one having a bad session.

And the best target setters will set them to make you walk into the stand, look at the targets and say to yourself, "I got this station run" and then you walk missing half of them....................

One-eyed, you and yours need to go shoot Bradford; his new North course was something this past Saturday. Lots of low quartering targets......man they were tough while looking easy
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2020, 04:48 PM   #24
Super Moderator

Member #1368
One reason I wear electronic hearing - if the background crap gets too loud, I simply turn them off.

Now those damn cigar smokers are something different.................
Although to be fair I made a great new friend form one of them.
I am an ex-smoker, which makes me worse than a non-smoker when it comes to that and cigars are the worst. This guy was smoking his, I politely turned around and said that I had quit smoking and now it aggravates my breathing. He apologized, and walked back to the path at Tampa and always made sure he was way downwind. Every shoot after he and I would run into each other and we became friends, so yes folks can change their behavior that they may not know is causing issues for someone else.
RKB and richg99 like this.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:28 PM   #25

Member #9178
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
And the best target setters will set them to make you walk into the stand, look at the targets and say to yourself, "I got this station run" and then you walk missing half of them....................

One-eyed, you and yours need to go shoot Bradford; his new North course was something this past Saturday. Lots of low quartering targets......man they were tough while looking easy
Bradford is a bit North East of Gainesville ,right ?
Old 01-13-2020, 07:57 AM   #26

Member #5570
One reason I wear electronic hearing - if the background crap gets too loud, I simply turn them off.

Now those damn cigar smokers are something different.................
Although to be fair I made a great new friend form one of them.
I am an ex-smoker, which makes me worse than a non-smoker when it comes to that and cigars are the worst. This guy was smoking his, I politely turned around and said that I had quit smoking and now it aggravates my breathing. He apologized, and walked back to the path at Tampa and always made sure he was way downwind. Every shoot after he and I would run into each other and we became friends, so yes folks can change their behavior that they may not know is causing issues for someone else.
Interesting you mention that about being an ex-smoker. Mrs. Flash and I are also, quit almost 11 years ago. Oh, and our course doesn't allow people to smoke on the course itself. Not the SC, not 5 stand, not trap or wobble trap or even the practice stations. Anyway, I digress...

I'd read all the stuff about how we needed to remove all ashtrays from the house, remove all cigarettes, quit doing things that trigger the urge like coffee and booze.

None of that has been true for either of us. We still have ashtrays in every room of the house, have 2 or 3 cartons of cigarettes in the freezer and smoke from smokers doesn't bother us in the least. We don't find it a good smell or a bad smell, just a smell. Still drink coffee and booze and never get the urge to smoke again.

Everyone's obviously different though.
RKB likes this.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 02:44 PM   #27
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Originally Posted by one eyed shooter View Post
Bradford is a bit North East of Gainesville ,right ?
Yep, in the small community of Graham, great folks, great targets
Old 01-13-2020, 02:47 PM   #28
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
Interesting you mention that about being an ex-smoker. Mrs. Flash and I are also, quit almost 11 years ago. Oh, and our course doesn't allow people to smoke on the course itself. Not the SC, not 5 stand, not trap or wobble trap or even the practice stations. Anyway, I digress...

I'd read all the stuff about how we needed to remove all ashtrays from the house, remove all cigarettes, quit doing things that trigger the urge like coffee and booze.

None of that has been true for either of us. We still have ashtrays in every room of the house, have 2 or 3 cartons of cigarettes in the freezer and smoke from smokers doesn't bother us in the least. We don't find it a good smell or a bad smell, just a smell. Still drink coffee and booze and never get the urge to smoke again.

Everyone's obviously different though.
I need to quit my wine for a while so I can lose a ton of weight. That is harder than quitting smoking. At first I thought my diet Pepsi or after a meal would trigger a want for a smoke, but once I said this is it, I stuck to it. Had quit a few times in the past for long periods, but now zero desire....Both my boys still smoke and when they come in from going out to have one, that stench follows them in the house.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:19 PM   #29

Member #9178
I need to quit my wine for a while so I can lose a ton of weight. That is harder than quitting smoking. At first I thought my diet Pepsi or after a meal would trigger a want for a smoke, but once I said this is it, I stuck to it. Had quit a few times in the past for long periods, but now zero desire....Both my boys still smoke and when they come in from going out to have one, that stench follows them in the house.
Quitting smoking was one of the hardest things I ever did. I quit 1/1/1978. There are certain situations that always bring back the craving. I have daughter who has quit many times but like you said "the stench" always gives them away !.. As for the wine all I can say is "ME TOO" !
Old 01-14-2020, 05:37 AM   #30

Member #5570
I got hooked on morphine in a hospital when I was 15 and that's something that's hard to quit. Got withdrawal pains 3 years after I quit.

When people ask how hard it was for me to quit smoking, I tell them it was 1-Ĺ on a scale of 10. Quitting morphine was a 10

And unfortunately, beer is my problem. Puts weight on like you wouldn't believe. It's okay in the summer when I do laps in my pool every day but in the winter like now it's not so good.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote