Etiquette - Page 2 - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Etiquette

This is a discussion on Etiquette within the Sporting Clays forums, part of the Shotgun Shooters Forum category; Originally Posted by bobski im trying to compare the issues that come up on a golf course to s.clays. they mimick each other....because they are ...



Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Shooters Forum > Sporting Clays

Like Tree40Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2019, 04:39 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
one eyed shooter's Avatar
 
Member #9178
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 375
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
im trying to compare the issues that come up on a golf course to s.clays. they mimick each other....because they are designed after each other.
so youd think...an issue during a s.clays game should have the same fix as a golf course.
Yep You would think that.. unfortunately the only thing they have in common is practice, practice and more practice. I have had some folks ask me what is so difficult about hitting a ball off a wooden peg until I take them out on the course. By the same token I have had trap shooters and skeet shooters believe their skills at those games will carry over to SC's and became frustrated when they find out the targets don't fly consistent patterns. All that being said.. I really really love all shotgun games.
Jack Ryan likes this.
__________________
"Old age and Treachery will overcome Skill and Youth any day "
one eyed shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-13-2019, 04:59 PM   #12
Super Moderator
 
bobski's Avatar
 
Member #148
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mo., Va., Ct..
Posts: 7,040
i did.
but scaled back to my favorites.

its been a rough road since most skeet/trap shooters live and act like the only life the game has or is...is nssa or ata.

im plowing a rough row, ive decided to promote and keep alive fun shoots. seems to be working in my little corner of the world.
Jack Ryan likes this.
__________________
Retired Military Aviation.
Former Member U.S. Navy Skeet Team
Distinguished Pistol Medalist
NSSA All American
Certified NRA Shotgun Instructor
Skeet & Trap Range Owner

Last edited by bobski; 10-13-2019 at 05:02 PM.
bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:50 PM   #13
Super Moderator
 
oneounceload's Avatar
 
Member #1368
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,811
Originally Posted by one eyed shooter View Post
Part of the issue with what happened with these guys crowding the squad in front of them was that they were not allowed to let them "play though" like you would do in golf. They said it was part of the rules. I am not sure if it was a local thing or if that is a general rule. What do you think Bobski ? can you help me out here ?
Not so. Folks, especially with carts, will jump around if a station is backed up; no rule against it but it can cause other jams elsewhere.
It is bad form to crowd the shooter while he's shooting, especially if he has other squadmates waiting their turn to shoot. Putting the gun in the rack and backing away isn't an issue unless it is full.
Talking loud enough to be a distraction or leaving a gas cart running IS bad form. I am seeing more and more UTVs now with AC and the owner leaves it running so his cab stays cool - THAT is bad form.

Was this at Tampa, Fishhawk, or???
Jack Ryan likes this.
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 10-14-2019, 02:35 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
one eyed shooter's Avatar
 
Member #9178
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 375
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
Not so. Folks, especially with carts, will jump around if a station is backed up; no rule against it but it can cause other jams elsewhere.
It is bad form to crowd the shooter while he's shooting, especially if he has other squadmates waiting their turn to shoot. Putting the gun in the rack and backing away isn't an issue unless it is full.
Talking loud enough to be a distraction or leaving a gas cart running IS bad form. I am seeing more and more UTVs now with AC and the owner leaves it running so his cab stays cool - THAT is bad form.

Was this at Tampa, Fishhawk, or???
Supposedly this happened at the SE Regionals at Backwoods Quail Club in Georgetown SC
__________________
"Old age and Treachery will overcome Skill and Youth any day "
one eyed shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:49 PM   #15
Member
 
Jack Ryan's Avatar
 
Member #16968
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Bedrock Indiana
Posts: 33
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
and people wonder why i shy away from s.clays.
its too much like golf. and so are the people.
good luck.
LOL, I don't shy away from it because of that but you are RIGHT.

It is WAY TOO much like golf and becoming more so, including "the people".

... and that is way too funny!
__________________
Free men own guns.
Jack Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:11 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
one eyed shooter's Avatar
 
Member #9178
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 375
Originally Posted by Jack Ryan View Post
LOL, I don't shy away from it because of that but you are RIGHT.

It is WAY TOO much like golf and becoming more so, including "the people".

... and that is way too funny!
Ha Ha.. I am just glad that I don't have to wear those funny plaid shorts when I shoot SC's.
Actually at the 2 SC/s courses I shoot the people are very polite and common sense is pretty much the rule. I have found that a lot of the good things about golf carry over to SC's but as in any sport there are those few "entitled" persons that ruin it for everyone.
oneounceload likes this.
__________________
"Old age and Treachery will overcome Skill and Youth any day "
one eyed shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:49 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Flash's Avatar
 
Member #5570
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Arizona
Posts: 604
Have only run across one horses patoot on my SC course and after I watched him having the worst shooting day of his life without smiling or saying anything, he decided to become a nice guy and is to this day.

So people can change given the right incentive.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:58 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
one eyed shooter's Avatar
 
Member #9178
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 375
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
Have only run across one horses patoot on my SC course and after I watched him having the worst shooting day of his life without smiling or saying anything, he decided to become a nice guy and is to this day.

So people can change given the right incentive.
There is nothing so humbling as missing an easy shot. Whether it be in Sporting Clays or Golf. I mostly shoot with the same group and, encouragement is the only comment we make. We all laugh at ourselves but never at each other. You never know when YOU are going to be the one having a bad session.
oneounceload likes this.
__________________
"Old age and Treachery will overcome Skill and Youth any day "
one eyed shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 12:29 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
Member #16972
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: West Florida
Posts: 3
I agree with setting your gun in the rack and stepping back. I like getting an extra look at targets any chance I get and donít mind someone doing the same. When I first started shooting I found it intimidating to have a group behind our station but donít feel that way anymore.
oneounceload likes this.
Triggerfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 01:33 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
one eyed shooter's Avatar
 
Member #9178
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 375
Originally Posted by Triggerfinger View Post
I agree with setting your gun in the rack and stepping back. I like getting an extra look at targets any chance I get and donít mind someone doing the same. When I first started shooting I found it intimidating to have a group behind our station but donít feel that way anymore.
I agree. As you become more accustom to shooting with people around you lose that uncomfortable feeling.

Where in West Florida are you ? I am in Palm Harbor
__________________
"Old age and Treachery will overcome Skill and Youth any day "
one eyed shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On