Near miss? - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Near miss?

This is a discussion on Near miss? within the Sporting Clays forums, part of the Shotgun Shooters Forum category; I'm fairly new to sporting clays, 3 years, and am messing around with shot sizes and velocities. I usually shoot #8 at 1200 fps and ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Shooters Forum > Sporting Clays

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Flash

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2019, 09:50 AM   #1

Member #6025
Near miss?

I'm fairly new to sporting clays, 3 years, and am messing around with shot sizes and velocities. I usually shoot #8 at 1200 fps and sometimes #9 if the birds are close. I've noticed several occasions, really not all that often, where the bird seemed to "dodge" the shot via sharp movements off trajectory and it wasn't broken that my squad members could see. Is it just a near miss or is it light hits from small / too few pellets making contact? If that's the case, would 7 1/2's be a better choice? I understand a more centered shot pattern would help but I'm not quite that good of a shot yet.
Remove Ads
Old 07-24-2019, 12:10 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #1368
A lot will depend on what type of target and what distance.

BIO targets are physically harder than pitch targets and you get a lot of "dust" and no breakage. Rabbit targets are thicker to withstand bouncing on the ground. Both of those are better handled with 7-1/2s. If you are just "pushing" the target a little, you probably hit it with the barest fringe of your pattern and thus did not break it.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:28 AM   #3

Member #5570
And occasionally you'll find one that's hard as a rock (literally).

A few times over the years I've shot clays that stopped and dropped like a rock and it takes a lot to stop something going that fast in midair, but it didn't break and didn't break when they hit the ground either. I could be wrong but I'd swear that it happens more after a downpour here.
RKB likes this.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote