over & under choices - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

over & under choices

This is a discussion on over & under choices within the Sporting Clays forums, part of the Shotgun Shooters Forum category; I've been shooting a Remington 11-87 or 1100 for shooting sporting clays but have been considering an over & under. the last shoot I attended ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Shooters Forum > Sporting Clays

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2019, 09:38 AM   #1

Member #16326
over & under choices

I've been shooting a Remington 11-87 or 1100 for shooting sporting clays but have been considering an over & under. the last shoot I attended my 11-87 failed & I finished the shoot sharing my partners Winchester o & u & loved it. i'm leaning towards a CZ premier or berretta 686. I also found a used 686 gold e but it does not have the original case, only has the 2 chokes that are in the gun, has some wear on the finish, several dings on both stocks, & is 2799.00.

bass pro has a 686 pigeon ( normally 2149.00 ) on sale for 1775.00. academy sports has the CZ premier readhead target for 1199.00 ( average retail is 1499.00 ). the regular CZ premier is in the 950.00 range.

any cons on the CZ? Is there a reason the forum has no CZ section?
rober is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-12-2019, 10:05 AM   #2

Member #14089
I don't know much about your listed choices, but if it was me I'd opt for the new O/U's for less money. I do wonder though, since you live in the same town as Browning repair in Arnold, MO, why would you not consider a Browning?
Old 07-12-2019, 10:59 AM   #3

Member #16326
I've not ruled out browning. they are located less than 2 miles from my house. I recently inherited a mid 50's A5 12 gauge. I wanted it looked over & when I called browning I was told that they do not service that gun!!
of all the guns I've looked at so far the mid grade CZ is the best physical fit when brought to the shoulder. it just like an extension of my body. & the wood & metal finish looked as good as a browning or berretta.
besides the new guns I mentioned i'm primarily looking for a used gun. a guy in my carpenters local has a used citori. I've shot the gun & having vented barrels it's WAY TOO LOUD. I found a used CZ that looks like it was left in the bed of a truck for awhile. even though I've got the bug i'm in no hurry. when I find the right gun i'll know it when I see & hold it.
737Pete likes this.

Old 07-12-2019, 02:40 PM   #4

Member #12041
Its all about the fit in your hands & shoulder. There were some I liked that were beautiful but didn't fit right. I ended up with a Berretta Silver Pigeon but the lust for others continues. Having a pro help you is a plus. Enjoy the ride.
737Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 04:45 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Member #1368
IF the Beretta FITS, at that price, get it.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 05:29 PM   #6

Member #16326
i'm going to bass pro this coming week to handle one of the berrettas. berretta sure has a wide range of guns & prices in the silver pigeon line.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:34 PM   #7

Member #6849
Hands Down Beretta

Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
IF the Beretta FITS, at that price, get it.
I don't think that you can compare the Beretta to the CZ in terms of quality and reliability, it's Beretta, hands down.
oneounceload and RKB like this.
Aldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:15 PM   #8

Member #16326
i'm in total agreement with that. unfortunately sometimes it comes down to the money. if I buy the berretta i'll need to sell something else, possibly a gun & I HATE selling guns.
RKB likes this.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:34 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Buy once, cry once.
RKB likes this.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:24 PM   #10

Member #15748
I have a Winchester 101 I've been shooting trap with since 1966. I'm not interested in changing guns. The new ones have changeable chokes and have been back bored.

Contrary to what many say, the recoil is milder than the Browning, but greater than the semi autos you have been shooting.

National Rifle Association
2nd Amendment Foundation
Illinois State Rifle Association
Guns Save Lives
SASS
Cowboy Mounted Shooting Association
retired LEOSA firearms instructor
ChanceMcCall is offline   Reply With Quote