over & under choices - Page 2 - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

over & under choices

This is a discussion on over & under choices within the Sporting Clays forums, part of the Shotgun Shooters Forum category; I found a club that has a selection of used club members guns. i'm hoping to find something there. I went to cabelas because they ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Shooters Forum > Sporting Clays

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2019, 05:47 PM   #11

Member #16326
I found a club that has a selection of used club members guns. i'm hoping to find something there. I went to cabelas because they had most all the guns i'm considering in in stock so I could get touchy feely with them. I wish I could afford them all!! the top contenders are the berretta 686, franchi instinct L, CZ redhead, & Winchester 101, in that order. as I said there's no need to get in a hurry. this is something I want not something I need. I have noticed though that used O/U guns seem to be few & far between around here.
rober is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-18-2019, 08:08 PM   #12
RKB

Member #2031
Originally Posted by ChanceMcCall View Post
I have a Winchester 101 I've been shooting trap with since 1966. I'm not interested in changing guns. The new ones have changeable chokes and have been back bored.

Contrary to what many say, the recoil is milder than the Browning, but greater than the semi autos you have been shooting.
Older 101's had a bad rep for excessive kick primarily because of a slimmer profile comb which bit into shooter's cheeks, and a lighter overall weight. They tended to kick into the shooter's cheek and shoulder simultaneously, resulting in a bit of pain. Since yours did not do that, as mine still does not, it fits you (and I) better than most did.
The new ones are of a different manufacturer and totally different. I have no experience with them and will offer no comments on them.
ChanceMcCall likes this.

Last edited by RKB; 07-18-2019 at 08:13 PM.
RKB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:15 AM   #13

Member #2515
Originally Posted by rober View Post
I've been shooting a Remington 11-87 or 1100 for shooting sporting clays but have been considering an over & under. the last shoot I attended my 11-87 failed & I finished the shoot sharing my partners Winchester o & u & loved it. i'm leaning towards a CZ premier or berretta 686. I also found a used 686 gold e but it does not have the original case, only has the 2 chokes that are in the gun, has some wear on the finish, several dings on both stocks, & is 2799.00.

bass pro has a 686 pigeon ( normally 2149.00 ) on sale for 1775.00. academy sports has the CZ premier readhead target for 1199.00 ( average retail is 1499.00 ). the regular CZ premier is in the 950.00 range.

any cons on the CZ? Is there a reason the forum has no CZ section?
Forget the CZ the triggers are to hard. Go with a Beretta or a Browning.
The Beretta would be my choice. There a lot of Beretta new and used.
You will need to spend $2500 to $3500 + on a good O/U.
If thats to much for you. Go back to a auto and get a Beretta A400.
Kraiza is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2019, 05:46 AM   #14

Member #16326
i'm going to check the used guns at that club. if I do not find a gun there i'll probably buy the 686 that's on sale at bass pro/cabelas for 1775.00 or 1849.00 less 4%.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/shoo...2.uts?slotId=1
rober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 01:17 PM   #15

Member #441
i've got two I really like and they are a Browning Superposed Lightning model. The other is a pair of Charles Daly guns made in Miroku. The 500 SXS model with a 26" barrel. An O/U with a 30" barrel.
Attached Thumbnails
over & under choices-browning-superposed-trap-30.jpg   over & under choices-charles-daly-ou-30-inch-12-ga.jpg   over & under choices-charles-daly-sxs-12-ga-26-inches-size-change.jpg  
drjjpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:37 PM   #16
RKB

Member #2031
Miroku-made Daly's are a bargain! However, every Daly-branded gun since then is suspect, at best.
Miroku is the world's best-selling o/u manufacturer by a long margin. Every Browning Citori - approaching 3 million made - is a Miroku. They designed the gun.
Modern Turkish-made Daly's...well, you could not give me one, unless I was needing a tomato stake.
RKB is online now   Reply With Quote