My scores are terrible... - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

My scores are terrible...

This is a discussion on My scores are terrible... within the Sporting Clays forums, part of the Shotgun Shooters Forum category; New shooter here. Really dig the SC but can't hit crap... Yea, I watch the tutorials, practice gun mounts, foot placement, both eyes open, determine ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Shooters Forum > Sporting Clays

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2019, 02:43 PM   #1

Member #15702
My scores are terrible...

New shooter here. Really dig the SC but can't hit crap... Yea, I watch the tutorials, practice gun mounts, foot placement, both eyes open, determine focus, hold, and hit points; but just can't get the lead right. Maybe I need glasses. Is the natural progression to SC start at trap first? I'm not half bad at that...
Tucker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-25-2019, 06:59 PM   #2

Member #4993
Originally Posted by Tucker99 View Post
New shooter here. Really dig the SC but can't hit crap... Yea, I watch the tutorials, practice gun mounts, foot placement, both eyes open, determine focus, hold, and hit points; but just can't get the lead right. Maybe I need glasses. Is the natural progression to SC start at trap first? I'm not half bad at that...
I would say go to your club on slow days, hit the 5-stand and focus on one target from each angle until you nail it consistently, then go to the next one and repeat. Oh and tip your trapper well for letting you go off menu and humoring you. Then go to SC but do all report pairs or even singles.

"the loudest sound in the world is a click when you expect a bang, or a bang when you expect a click"
Old 03-26-2019, 04:50 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Member #1368
First thing I would do is hit the pattern board to see where your gun hits in relation to where you're pointing. It might be a gun fit issue. You mentioned your eyes; depending on your age, that could also be a factor.

Are there any specific target types giving you more trouble than others? For example, I had a hard time, for a long time, with fast outgoing rising teals - the kind that shot up and out like a rocket. Took someone lookingt over my shoulder to see what I was doing wrong
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2019, 06:35 AM   #4

Member #9178
Originally Posted by Tucker99 View Post
I found that Trap is a good place to start... actually the patterning board is where you want to go first, then Trap and then start shooting singles in SC. Some SC ranges have courses of different degrees of difficulty. Start at the easiest course and work your way up. Confidence is also a factor in SC's.You should always believe in yourself.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:30 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Trap is good; however, I think skeet is even better for a few reasons:
The targets NEVER vary, there is no oscillating trap
The distances are close so someone watching you can better determine the causes of your misses
Finally, most sporting courses tend to throw targets more like skeet - quartering away or in, as opposed to straight away rising.

Good luck, get some help/lessons. That will shorten the learning curve.

lastly, if you are used to scoring high 24/25s in trap and aren't close in sporting, that is to be expected. Very few perfect scores in sporting, even by the top "pros".
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:34 AM   #6

Member #15702
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post

lastly, if you are used to scoring high 24/25s in trap and aren't close in sporting, that is to be expected. Very few perfect scores in sporting, even by the top "pros".
Not even close. My trap scores are 18-22. Going to try the pattern board. But, I shoot an 1100, which is suppose to be the F150 of trap guns. I think I'm the problem.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:56 AM   #7

Member #1732
Not everyone can shoot with both eyes open. Get a lesson with an experienced coach.
CSM Certified Instructor
NSCA Certified Level II Instructor since 1998
Deep River Sporting Clays and Shooting School
SnapCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:02 AM   #8

Member #15702
Hmmm, every tutorial I've seen and everything Iv'e read says shoot with both eyes open. Maybe that's my problem...
Old 03-26-2019, 12:17 PM   #9

Member #5570
I normally shoot around 23/24/25 at trap, or rather I did until I started SC.

The first time I shot SC, I got a 50 out of 100. I decided I sucked and was going to go back to trap. Then I talked to some of the guys at my range and they said that 50 on your first time out means I was a natural, so I stayed with it.

It's a lot harder than trap, a lot harder than skeet and it takes time to get good at it. I've been at it around 4 years now, shoot once a week without fail except when on vacation and today I shot a 93, which is about normal for me these days.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:41 PM   #10

Member #15702
How long have you been shooting clays?