My scores are terrible... - Page 2 - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

My scores are terrible...

This is a discussion on My scores are terrible... within the Sporting Clays forums, part of the Shotgun Shooters Forum category; FLASH is that local club set up for everyone, or was that a NSCA registered tournament? Targets tend to get a lot harder for serious ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Shooters Forum > Sporting Clays

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2019, 01:38 PM   #11
Super Moderator

Member #1368
FLASH is that local club set up for everyone, or was that a NSCA registered tournament? Targets tend to get a lot harder for serious competitions versus folks out to have some social fun.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-26-2019, 03:22 PM   #12

Member #5570
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
FLASH is that local club set up for everyone, or was that a NSCA registered tournament? Targets tend to get a lot harder for serious competitions versus folks out to have some social fun.
All stations have 4 traps on them, 2 set up for easier targets, 2 set up for NSCA registered tournaments. You can tell which is which because the transmitter has 4 buttons for the traps, A, B, C and D. A & B are for social, C & D are what is thrown at the Registered shoots. This is pointed out on the instruction sheet for use of the transmitters and confirmed by the Range Officers and the guy in charge of the SC field. I shoot C & D usually, but occasionally A and/or B when I feel they're actually harder than C&D which happens from time to time.

Originally Posted by Tucker99 View Post
How long have you been shooting clays?
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've been shooting SC every week for around 4 years.
one eyed shooter likes this.
Flash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:48 AM   #13

Member #7361
Are you right handed right eye dominate...
Next go stand about 20 yards from a sign cover each eye with your hand and make sure you can see clearly out of each eye. If you can't go get that fixed.
Another thing that helped me in sporting is shooting low gun . Also not mounting till I acquire and getting ready to pull trigger. I personally can't drag birds out.
BadaBoom likes this.
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2019, 04:57 PM   #14

Member #16500
Mine too. In fact, you’re probably better than me. I think I shot 22 first out. All said, I can’t shoot often enough. Just wait till next time(Shakes fist)!
BadaBoom likes this.
Dave7761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:20 AM   #15

Member #8874
I started with trap shooting. Sporting clays is a lot harder in my opinion, but also a lot more fun. It's too easy for me to start counting birds on the trap field. In sporting, I rarely shoot the whole course. I've only shot it maybe 10 times. I like it more than any other shooting clay game.

I too have found that starting low gun helps me. I like to acquire the bird first visually then move the gun. My scores are not very good either. So I don't keep score. Keeping score is just a good way for me to focus on something else, instead of learning.

Jeff
BadaBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:54 PM   #16

Member #5570
When I started out, I started keeping score. I did it an odd way, though, as I counted misses. I figured that was easier when I was hitting more than 50%. It also gave me an incentive to get better as I'm a pretty competitive person.

Anyway, it was fun going from 45 or so misses to 35, then 25, then 15 and so on.

Counting gets easier as you get better done this way. These days I don't count at all as it's pretty easy to remember the misses, where they were and which trap.
RKB and one eyed shooter like this.
Flash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:09 AM   #17

Member #9178
Originally Posted by BadaBoom View Post
I started with trap shooting. Sporting clays is a lot harder in my opinion, but also a lot more fun. It's too easy for me to start counting birds on the trap field. In sporting, I rarely shoot the whole course. I've only shot it maybe 10 times. I like it more than any other shooting clay game.

I too have found that starting low gun helps me. I like to acquire the bird first visually then move the gun. My scores are not very good either. So I don't keep score. Keeping score is just a good way for me to focus on something else, instead of learning.
This is exactly how my wife and I started our shotgunning… Trap then sporting clays. The low gun approach makes the game that much more fun. I also like the idea of scoring the misses rather than the hits. It is a lot like golf... the lower the number the better the score !
oneounceload likes this.