New guy with a dominate eye question - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

New guy with a dominate eye question

This is a discussion on New guy with a dominate eye question within the Sporting Clays forums, part of the Shotgun Shooters Forum category; I am left handed but my dominate eye is right which is a huge issue if some do not know!I t I have a stoager ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Shooters Forum > Sporting Clays

Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By Reijger
  • 1 Post By Mad Murdock
  • 2 Post By Hquiles
  • 1 Post By SteveY
  • 2 Post By oneounceload
  • 1 Post By Flash
  • 1 Post By Hinckle21901
  • 1 Post By unclefish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2019, 08:51 PM   #1

Member #15848
New guy with a dominate eye question

I am left handed but my dominate eye is right which is a huge issue if some do not know!I t I have a stoager over under and can't hit the broad side of a barn. I have tried closing dominate eye, but does not improve, Is there any tricks to training my eyes. This is not new to me. I trained myself too be a excellent pool player back in the day. I have been out too shoot several times and just can't seem too find the adjustment for hand eye..

Hell, maybe I just totally suck, but I don't think so!

Does anyone else experience this?

Last edited by Hinckle21901; 02-12-2019 at 08:54 PM.
Hinckle21901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-12-2019, 11:35 PM   #2

Member #6002
I'm right handed and have a dominant left eye. I close the dominant eye just before I pull the trigger and have had good success even had 3 straights last year with 2 different guns. I believe gun fitment might be the biggest problem to be honest. Have heard if you wear an eye patch for a week or so you might change dominance. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Reijger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:54 AM   #3

Member #4993
Train to shoot right handed. It's not that hard and will quit feeling awkward after a few rounds.

"the loudest sound in the world is a click when you expect a bang, or a bang when you expect a click"
Hinckle21901 likes this.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:06 AM   #4

Member #11481
My kid is a leftie, but has right eye dominance. I trained him to shoot right handed with an air rifle, and later with a shotgun. Never had a problem.
Mad Murdock and Hinckle21901 like this.
Hquiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:59 AM   #5

Member #12378
You posted this in a sporting clays forum so I will assume those are the targets you can't hit.
I would go to a skeet field and use low 7 to figure out what you are doing.
You can close 1 eye or use a "dot" to block the vision. Once you can hit low 7 back up to low 6 were you will need a small lead and work on that. I know it sounds boring but you have to learn the basics before you jump into the complex targets you can get at sporties.

Steve
Hinckle21901 likes this.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:26 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Member #1368
First, welcome from Florida!
Secondly. shoot from your dominate side. It will be a struggle at first, but in the long run, it will be your best option.
Mad Murdock and Hinckle21901 like this.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:15 AM   #7

Member #5570
My dominant eye changes from time to time, and my Ophthalmologist has mentioned it to me during eye exams.

What used to be annoying was when it changed while I was shooting Trap or SC.

I got around the problem by going to Monovision in my glasses and that worked very well.
Hinckle21901 likes this.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:07 PM   #8

Member #15848
Thanks for your input guys. I have only been out to shoot about 5 times so I am new to the sport, and probably just need tons of practice learning what's best for me. I just know why I can't hit anything. It happens so fast, but sometimes both eyes will work together and I will hit them perfectly. The next 20 pulls I don't see correctly and get frustrated! It's a eye training thing suppose. I'm weird. I bat right, and golf right. Throw left, play pool left. My body does everything against my dominate eye.

I will try right handed for a few times out, and see how that goes. I will also try the close up training that was suggested. Everyone's help is much appreciated!
Mad Murdock likes this.
Hinckle21901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 01:04 PM   #9

Member #7361
One of the top shooters in our club is RH handed left eye dominate. He has a 1/2 round opac sticker on his shooting glasses. It looks like its on his upper almost deadcenter LH lens. I also am going through some eye difficulties I am fortunate that I am RH handed RH eye dominate but I can see out of my LHeye much better. Rh eye has been blurry for a good year now finally made an appointment for Thursday this week. 3 weeks ago I started shooting low gun and it has been much better. Now that I have relocated my hold points and my eye holds I shot 75 straight today in skeet. I think I freak people out shooting low gun but it works for me right now. Also I did black out my sights today because I cought myself measuring targets yesterday. You need to try 1 thing at at time for a couple rounds till you figure it out? I see so many shooters just sit there at that station and keep missing doing the same thing.
martin_holland likes this.
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote