The Newest Addiction At My SC Range - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

The Newest Addiction At My SC Range

This is a discussion on The Newest Addiction At My SC Range within the Sporting Clays forums, part of the Shotgun Shooters Forum category; There's a new thing everybody's trying to do at my SC Range. One of the stations has two birds that go up kind of like ...



Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Shooters Forum > Sporting Clays

Like Tree12Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2019, 12:39 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Flash's Avatar
 
Member #5570
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Arizona
Posts: 514
The Newest Addiction At My SC Range

There's a new thing everybody's trying to do at my SC Range. One of the stations has two birds that go up kind of like a battue, with one curving to the right and one to the left.

At one point they cross paths and that's where the attraction is, to get both with one shot.

I started it by doing it 5 times in a row in front of one of the Range Officers, who immediately told everyone else about it and now they're all trying.

The R.O. told me a couple of days ago that he watched a guy run through several boxes of shells trying but never made it. I told him I'd personally give up after 3 misses, but that's just me.

I'm now up to 8 times out of 9 making it and it is a kick in the fanny. This is the main reason I like SC, it's always new and different and you can do all these challenging things and then they change the range and you're off looking for another challenge.
oneounceload, RKB and skeltor like this.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-01-2019, 04:56 PM   #2
RKB
Senior Member
 
RKB's Avatar
 
Member #2031
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Near Knoxville TN
Posts: 2,327
Most folks trying to get a 'two-for-one' make the mistake of shooting at them when they cross. By the time the shot gets there, they are too far apart, in general. You most generally have to shoot just before they cross. We have a station like that at our local range.
And yes, it is a hoot!
one eyed shooter likes this.
RKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:09 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Mad Murdock's Avatar
 
Member #4993
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,251
We had one station that had an almost straight up, but slightly left and then a right left crosser. I watched the guys in front of me. I called the first bird, shot off at nothing, the second bird flew, I got them both as they crossed. I was able to pull it 3 of 5 and it was a hoot!

"the loudest sound in the world is a click when you expect a bang, or a bang when you expect a click"
__________________
The loudest sound in the world is a "click" when you expect a "bang" or a "bang" when you expect a "click".
Mad Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 02-02-2019, 08:14 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
one eyed shooter's Avatar
 
Member #9178
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 287
Originally Posted by RKB View Post
Most folks trying to get a 'two-for-one' make the mistake of shooting at them when they cross. By the time the shot gets there, they are too far apart, in general. You most generally have to shoot just before they cross. We have a station like that at our local range.
And yes, it is a hoot!
We also have a station like this at our range and it is a lot of fun trying to break them both with one shot. When we go shooting there is usually me, my wife and, the neighbor that got us interested in shooting. The first time we encountered this station it took my neighbor and I about 6 shots to finally accomplish breaking both targets. We were feeling very proud of ourselves until my wife did it on her first shot and then said "We are done here let's go to the next station. They have a restroom there and I need to use it"
The Happy Kaboomer and RKB like this.
__________________
"Old age and Treachery will overcome Skill and Youth any day "
one eyed shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:05 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Mad Murdock's Avatar
 
Member #4993
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,251
Originally Posted by one eyed shooter View Post
We also have a station like this at our range and it is a lot of fun trying to break them both with one shot. When we go shooting there is usually me, my wife and, the neighbor that got us interested in shooting. The first time we encountered this station it took my neighbor and I about 6 shots to finally accomplish breaking both targets. We were feeling very proud of ourselves until my wife did it on her first shot and then said "We are done here let's go to the next station. They have a restroom there and I need to use it"
That's awesome!! I think I like your wife!!

"the loudest sound in the world is a click when you expect a bang, or a bang when you expect a click"
__________________
The loudest sound in the world is a "click" when you expect a "bang" or a "bang" when you expect a "click".
Mad Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:34 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
one eyed shooter's Avatar
 
Member #9178
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 287
Originally Posted by Mad Murdock View Post
That's awesome!! I think I like your wife!!

"the loudest sound in the world is a click when you expect a bang, or a bang when you expect a click"
You need to understand this woman... We tried bowling, she hated it, we tried tennis, she hated it, we tried golf, she hated it, we tried bocce ball, she hated it, we tried shuffleboard, she hated it.... we tried sporting clay's and now she thinks and shoots like Annie Oakley !!
I asked her what she wanted for St. Valentines Day and she said Caesar Guerini I thought she met some Italian chef and wanted a special dinner... Then I realized that I might have to sell my golf cart...
The Happy Kaboomer likes this.
__________________
"Old age and Treachery will overcome Skill and Youth any day "
one eyed shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:39 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Mad Murdock's Avatar
 
Member #4993
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,251
Originally Posted by one eyed shooter View Post
You need to understand this woman... We tried bowling, she hated it, we tried tennis, she hated it, we tried golf, she hated it, we tried bocce ball, she hated it, we tried shuffleboard, she hated it.... we tried sporting clay's and now she thinks and shoots like Annie Oakley !!

I asked her what she wanted for St. Valentines Day and she said Caesar Guerini I thought she met some Italian chef and wanted a special dinner... Then I realized that I might have to sell my golf cart...
If you croke............I'll take her............wait, my wife might not like that...........hum.....lol. be happy its guns and not purses, shoes, diamonds, and coats!

"the loudest sound in the world is a click when you expect a bang, or a bang when you expect a click"
__________________
The loudest sound in the world is a "click" when you expect a "bang" or a "bang" when you expect a "click".
Mad Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:35 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
one eyed shooter's Avatar
 
Member #9178
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 287
Originally Posted by Mad Murdock View Post
If you croke............I'll take her............wait, my wife might not like that...........hum.....lol. be happy its guns and not purses, shoes, diamonds, and coats!

"the loudest sound in the world is a click when you expect a bang, or a bang when you expect a click"
If I croak and you get your wife's permission you better start thinking about Krieghoffs or Perazzi's
Of course I am teasing but in 50+ years of marriage I have never seen her take to a hobby like she took to shooting !
__________________
"Old age and Treachery will overcome Skill and Youth any day "
one eyed shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:41 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Mad Murdock's Avatar
 
Member #4993
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,251
Originally Posted by one eyed shooter View Post
If I croak and you get your wife's permission you better start thinking about Krieghoffs or Perazzi's

Of course I am teasing but in 50+ years of marriage I have never seen her take to a hobby like she took to shooting !
It's the surprises in the least likely things at the least likely times that keep the relationship fun! I'm only 34 but I've figured that much out. We've found out my wife likes driving tractors in the last year so she has a Massey hydrostatic.

Fyi, I shoot Krieghoff myself for clays and Westley Richards or Merkel for hunting, so I got it covered

"the loudest sound in the world is a click when you expect a bang, or a bang when you expect a click"
__________________
The loudest sound in the world is a "click" when you expect a "bang" or a "bang" when you expect a "click".

Last edited by Mad Murdock; 02-02-2019 at 08:02 PM.
Mad Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:55 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
one eyed shooter's Avatar
 
Member #9178
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 287
Originally Posted by Mad Murdock View Post
It's the surprises in the least likely things at the least likely times that keep the relationship fun! I'm only 34 but I've figured that much out.

Fyi, I shoot Krieghoff myself for clays and Westley Richards or Merkel for hunting, so I got it covered

"the loudest sound in the world is a click when you expect a bang, or a bang when you expect a click"
Yeah but are you willing to give up that Kriegoff ?
You are absolutely correct it the surprises from the least likely places/things that most amaze you !
__________________
"Old age and Treachery will overcome Skill and Youth any day "
one eyed shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On