The Newest Addiction At My SC Range - Page 2 - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

The Newest Addiction At My SC Range

This is a discussion on The Newest Addiction At My SC Range within the Sporting Clays forums, part of the Shotgun Shooters Forum category; we have a station like that where I shoot once a year. the station overlooks a bluff & the clays fly straight away from you. ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Shooters Forum > Sporting Clays

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2019, 06:02 AM   #11

Member #16326
we have a station like that where I shoot once a year. the station overlooks a bluff & the clays fly straight away from you. I've hit the doubles 3 of 6 so far. my wife is a new York city girl & had never seen a gun in person before she met me. I bought her a browning buckmark so now she does 2 things she thought she'd never do. come with me to my apiaries & help me work hives & make regular visits to a shooting range. she tried a visit to the 5 stand range but did not care for the recoil ( 20 gauge ). i'll stick with the pistol range with her. she might like shooting a .410 or .28 gauge but i'd hate to buy the ammo.
rober is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-19-2019, 09:50 AM   #12

Member #5570
Reload .410 or .28 Gauge. I'm reloading .410 bore for $2.57/box of 25
RKB likes this.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:27 PM   #13
RKB

Member #2031
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
Reload .410 or .28 Gauge. I'm reloading .410 bore for $2.57/box of 25
Yup. 410 reloads are cheap and as effective as factory stuff. 800 rounds per bag of shot. Stick with #9 shot for skeet, larger shot will 'bridge' in the drop tube and cause issues.

Last edited by RKB; 07-19-2019 at 08:44 PM.
RKB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2019, 07:22 AM   #14

Member #5570
Originally Posted by RKB View Post
Yup. 410 reloads are cheap and as effective as factory stuff. 800 rounds per bag of shot. Stick with #9 shot for skeet, larger shot will 'bridge' in the drop tube and cause issues.
I usually load 7-1/2 shot in .410 for SC, but occasionally use 8s. I found that they won't bridge in a Single stage MEC if I push the bar from left to right S L O W L Y. It then just flows into the wad.
RKB likes this.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:37 AM   #15
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Split the difference and go with 8.5s. I load 3/4 for sporting fun and they do a great job
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:01 AM   #16

Member #5570
Been meaning to mention that they changed the presentation and, due to popular request, changed it in a way where it's still possible to get both birds with one shot.

Now there's a crosser, right to left and an incomer, not quite straight in, but a little right to left.

Took me a while but I finally got em with one shot.

Sometimes this presentation has the birds passing within a couple of feet of each other and sometimes they're 5 or 6 feet apart. Obviously the traps aren't precision at all, nor are they designed to be.
RKB likes this.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:52 AM   #17
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Don't forget even the slightest of breezes can make that difference happen
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 07-22-2019, 09:47 AM   #18

Member #5570
Yeah, and we do get breezes there every morning. Desert starts to heat up, heat rises and the course is uphill the whole way from Station 1 to Station 12. By the time I get to 12, there's a pretty good breeze at my back most days.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:50 AM   #19
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Is the ZZ field still as busy as before?
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 07-22-2019, 01:47 PM   #20

Member #5570
Yes, it's doing a pretty good business, but it's mostly the extremely good shooters who are also fairly wealthy and like to gamble. They've turned it into a money shoot.

Just got back from the range and checked the prices while I was there. $40.00 to shoot ZZ and a mandatory $20.00 put into the pot for the money shoot.

20 birds for $60.00. Cash payout for 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th place.

Last edited by Flash; 07-23-2019 at 12:23 PM.