Targets showing "Edge" only - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Targets showing "Edge" only

This is a discussion on Targets showing "Edge" only within the Sporting Clays forums, part of the Shotgun Shooters Forum category; Last Tuesday we were shooting SC on a newly laid out course and we encountered crossing and incoming targets where only the edges were exposed. ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Shooters Forum > Sporting Clays

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2018, 01:05 PM   #1

Member #9178
Unhappy Targets showing "Edge" only

Last Tuesday we were shooting SC on a newly laid out course and we encountered crossing and incoming targets where only the edges were exposed. Sort of like a very "flat" target. The first time I shot I was 99% sure I hit the target but instead of breaking it the target just spun. It was a right to left crossing target. My partner did the same thing and also felt he had hit the target. The next time we encountered a "flat" target was on an incoming shot about 8' off the ground and the same thing happened. I was sure I hit it but it just went into a spinning motion, We asked the guy that was loading targets and he said that sometimes if you only hit the edge of the target it will not break but will go into a flat spin. Is that possible ??
Old 10-25-2018, 02:09 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #1368
What distance and what ammo were you using?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:55 PM   #3

Member #9178
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
What distance and what ammo were you using?
Rio 1oz of 71/2 shot. Lower barrel had a modified choke upper barrel had a full choke.... distance for crossing targets were 25-35 yards. Incoming targets were about 15-20 yards. Targets were shot at with both barrels and spinning occurred with both barrels. I was shooting a Beretta SP and my partner was using a Browning Citori.

Old 10-26-2018, 10:19 AM   #4

Member #5570
Since the target is already probably spinning when it comes off the trap, how could you tell that hitting it made it spin?

I shoot SC every week, have seen a ton of presentations like this but never saw one spin more. OTOH, I have seen ones that were edge on, mostly long crossers, that would stop in midair and fall to the ground when hit and never break, not even when they hit the ground.

I accused the SC manager of using aluminum birds.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 11:24 AM   #5

Member #9178
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
Since the target is already probably spinning when it comes off the trap, how could you tell that hitting it made it spin?

I shoot SC every week, have seen a ton of presentations like this but never saw one spin more. OTOH, I have seen ones that were edge on, mostly long crossers, that would stop in midair and fall to the ground when hit and never break, not even when they hit the ground.

I accused the SC manager of using aluminum birds.
Or maybe those concrete birds !
It is hard to explain how we picked up what appeared to be a change in the spin of a bird in flight. The target seemed to wobble and then settle into a different type spin than its original flight. I know it sounds strange and it may be that we did miss all those targets but I just never saw a target act like that, And then there was the "loader" who said he has seem it many times an it was not that unusual. I do not think these targets stopped in mid air and then fell to ground. They just seemed to increase in spin and fell. Another thought came to mind... My wife was shooting the same targets and when she missed the targets maintained their normal spin wjen she hit them they broke.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:48 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Member #1368
In your face shots are better attempted by us regular guys with more open chokes and lots of pellets. Were these BIO targets by chance? They have a tendency to not break even when hit; you get what folks call "dust" from the orange paint but no chips. 7.5s for edge targets are good to break through the thicker part of the rim. I have "moved" targets without breaking them, always frustrating.
Remember with an incomer that is also dropping to bow to the target, otherwise, you'll be shooting most of your pattern over and the few pellets in the lower pattern may have too many holes for a bird to get through.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by oneounceload; 11-02-2018 at 05:50 AM.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:02 PM   #7

Member #9178
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
In your face chokes are better attempted by us regular guys with more open chokes and lots of pellets. Were these BIO targets by chance? They have a tendency to not break even when hit; you get what folks call "dust" from the orange paint but no chips. 7.5s for edge targets are good to break through the thicker part of the rim. I have "moved" targets without breaking them, always frustrating.
Remember with an incomer that is also dropping to bow to the target, otherwise, you'll be shooting most of your pattern over and the few pellets in the lower pattern may have too many holes for a bird to get through.
I am not sure if these were BIO targets. I will ask next time I go to this club.
I do believe they were White Flyers and I now know that they are a big manufacturer of BIO targets so maybe that is my answer.
I am not sure what your comment about the chokes meant. Were you suggesting I go with a more open set ?
I do agree that maybe we were shooting over the target and only the less portion of pellets hit the clay. It was really weird to see those targets shimmy then spin.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:22 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Member #1368
IF the targets are in your face close, using M/F - unless you are really proficient, means being a tad overchoked for the presentation......if something is incoming and close, I want a SK or IC at the tightest.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 11-01-2018, 06:29 PM   #9

Member #1440
I agree with 1oz above. At that short range, unless you hit the target with the center of the pattern, shooting a Mod or full choke you would be hitting with the fringe. One should use skeet, or IC at the most, at that range, because the pattern spread is more effective. You may wish to pattern your gun using the ammo you normally shoot. It is possible that the bulk of the shot is not in the center of your pattern. I find in my patterning of ammo, the center of the shot string varies quite drastically as I change a particular ammo manufacturer, pellet size, pellet weight, and pellet velocity. My current 12 gauge tournament gun, Beretta DT 11, will not center pattern Win AA, 1 oz, 7 1/2 well; however, Rem SKS, same size & weight centers almost perfectly.
JimH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:03 AM   #10

Member #14924
Birds on edge offer so little surface to see and hit they are very difficult targets. I always look at them to see if there is a place where the face shows as a break point. If not then I look for a good break point and focus on gun insertion and gun speed. I also reload so I control my choice of load and speed depending on how far the edge target is away will determine which shell I would use. If close I would use 8.5 shot if far away 7.5
Dead Last is offline   Reply With Quote