Pre shoot routine - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Pre shoot routine

This is a discussion on Pre shoot routine within the Sporting Clays forums, part of the Shotgun Shooters Forum category; Hi guys, greetings from South Africa. I’m a keen sporting Clay shooter but struggle to get my head in the zone from clay 1 on ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Shooters Forum > Sporting Clays

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hawk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2018, 08:32 PM   #1

Member #15186
Pre shoot routine

Hi guys, greetings from South Africa.
I’m a keen sporting Clay shooter but struggle to get my head in the zone from clay 1 on 1st stand.
It takes me in Compak 2 stands and Fitasc Sporting 5 Clays just to get the consecration going.
85% of my lost birds is lost in the 1st 12 clays of my 25.

Maybe someone has a easy pre shoot routine to share with me that i can go practice.
Thanx
RiaanKafKotze is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-15-2018, 05:42 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Everyone is different so their routines will be. That said, you need to clear your head - no thinking about what they'll be serving for lunch later - set up your game plan - look point, hold point, insertion point, break point. Read the target line, see where you see it clearly. Notice any landmarks like a certain tree or similar.
Determine what method you'll use for each target - maintained, swing through, pull away, collapsing lead, etc.

Wendell Cherry is one of the top dogs in American sporting. When I ref him, I can see him move his eyes three times over the flight path of the target before calling pull.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:58 AM   #3

Member #15184
Try picking your break point, visualize it, then your hold point. Set your feet for the break point. Visualize the target breaking at the break point you chose, take a deep breath and call pull.

I will normally shoot a warm-up before the event as well to get into the gun and wake up a bit.
RKB likes this.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2018, 10:21 AM   #4

Member #5570
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
Try picking your break point, visualize it, then your hold point. Set your feet for the break point. Visualize the target breaking at the break point you chose, take a deep breath and call pull.

I will normally shoot a warm-up before the event as well to get into the gun and wake up a bit.
That's pretty much what I do.

The president of our State Sporting Clays association actually uses his right index finger to do a tracking of show birds and then mounts the gun and shoots.

As other said, try various things to see what works for you.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:26 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Member #1368
If he LH like me? I use my right hand/finger, but most RH folks I know like to use their left hand as that is the guiding hand on the forearm.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:18 AM   #6

Member #15184
I use my left hand as well. Helps create muscle memory.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:02 PM   #7

Member #15186
Thank you guys. I haven’t done much footwork exept for standing comfortable but I am practicing for 1 month to stand and face the target line.
But thank you
RiaanKafKotze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:55 AM   #8

Member #5570
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
If he LH like me? I use my right hand/finger, but most RH folks I know like to use their left hand as that is the guiding hand on the forearm.
No, he's RH
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:11 PM   #9

Member #15184
Originally Posted by RiaanKafKotze View Post
Thank you guys. I haven’t done much footwork exept for standing comfortable but I am practicing for 1 month to stand and face the target line.
But thank you
I tend to put my lead foot toward my breakpoint and allow that leg to maintain about 60% of my weight and balance. Again, it's about muscle memory, promoting triggering the shot at the same spot as it all lines up.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:05 PM   #10

Member #9178

I will normally shoot a warm-up before the event as well to get into the gun and wake up a bit.[/QUOTE]

To me shooting is like baseball or golf you need to "warm up". The sound, the smell. the feel of the gun, etc.
It gets you in right frame of mind.. Good Luck and everyone on this site will give you great advice. Use what you feel works best for you.