Prescription shooting glasses - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Prescription shooting glasses

This is a discussion on Prescription shooting glasses within the Sporting Clays forums, part of the Shotgun Shooters Forum category; I've been shooting for about 6 months. I'm retired and really enjoying the shooting. I have used my prescription glasses and find it to be ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Shooters Forum > Sporting Clays

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2018, 11:23 AM   #1

Member #14610
Prescription shooting glasses

I've been shooting for about 6 months. I'm retired and really enjoying the shooting.

I have used my prescription glasses and find it to be useful in seeing targets. The problem is they aren't shooting glasses, and they get in the way based on the way the frame is made.

My plan is to get some prescription shooting glasses.

Pilla are outstanding glasses, but I can get a pair of Randolph for $500-$600 cheaper.

If I buy the Randolph, and I don't like them, I would probably just get use to them. If I buy the Pilla, and $1300, I'm pretty sure I won't have a problem with them.

I've been debating this online looking at glasses for awhile, and I'm ready to purchase, I'm looking now for input to help my decisions?

Any opinions that will help me make my decisions?
needClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-05-2018, 12:50 PM   #2

Member #8874
I have prescriptions Decot on non prescription Randolphs.

Decot did a very good job on my Rx lenses. I have the Decot Hy wyde and the Randolph classic frames. Both are very good.

My prescription is -6 and very thick. I have had trouble with the Decot frames breaking and lenses popping out. They fixed them twice for free.

Jeff
BadaBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:54 PM   #3

Member #9178
Originally Posted by needClay View Post
I've been shooting for about 6 months. I'm retired and really enjoying the shooting.

I have used my prescription glasses and find it to be useful in seeing targets. The problem is they aren't shooting glasses, and they get in the way based on the way the frame is made.

My plan is to get some prescription shooting glasses.

Pilla are outstanding glasses, but I can get a pair of Randolph for $500-$600 cheaper.

If I buy the Randolph, and I don't like them, I would probably just get use to them. If I buy the Pilla, and $1300, I'm pretty sure I won't have a problem with them.

I've been debating this online looking at glasses for awhile, and I'm ready to purchase, I'm looking now for input to help my decisions?

Any opinions that will help me make my decisions?
I have seen this question posted here before and the recommended person to contact is Tom at Texas Optical here is Their contact info and his email address
You may be able to get those Pilla Glasses at a better price.
Good Luck

PROTECTIVE SHOOTING LENSES
Fitting appointments can be made at:
Briley MGF
1230 Lumpkin
Houston, Texas 77043
Mailing Address ONLY!!!:
TEXAS SHOOTERS OPTICAL
15203 RINGFIELD DRIVE
HOUSTON, TX 77084

713-927-4790
fax 281-855-4438

[email protected]

Old 07-05-2018, 12:58 PM   #4

Member #14610
Originally Posted by one eyed shooter View Post
I have seen this question posted here before and the recommended person to contact is Tom at Texas Optical here is Their contact info and his email address
You may be able to get those Pilla Glasses at a better price.
Good Luck

PROTECTIVE SHOOTING LENSES
Fitting appointments can be made at:
Briley MGF
1230 Lumpkin
Houston, Texas 77043
Mailing Address ONLY!!!:
TEXAS SHOOTERS OPTICAL
15203 RINGFIELD DRIVE
HOUSTON, TX 77084

713-927-4790
fax 281-855-4438

[email protected]
I will make my purchase with Tom. I talked to him today. I'm looking for suggestions from people with experience wearing and shooting with these glasses. Tom is a great guy, and will get my business.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:33 PM   #5

Member #9178
I will make my purchase with Tom. I talked to him today. I'm looking for suggestions from people with experience wearing and shooting with these glasses. Tom is a great guy, and will get my business.
I am not able to help you there. I had cataracts removed about a year ago and then laser surgery. My right eye (dominate) has a distance lens implant so I can use a plain colored lens of my choice. Good luck with your plan.
BTW now that you have been shooting for 6 months how are your scores coming along ?
Old 07-05-2018, 02:18 PM   #6

Member #14610
I am not able to help you there. I had cataracts removed about a year ago and then laser surgery. My right eye (dominate) has a distance lens implant so I can use a plain colored lens of my choice. Good luck with your plan.
BTW now that you have been shooting for 6 months how are your scores coming along ?
I'm happy with my scores. I'm disappointed with some of the events that don't have enough people in them for me to get a punch. No big deal. I'll be shooting a long time, I'll never be the best and I'll never be the worst. I've been taking lessons and reading everything I can get my hands on. There is a lot of bad reading out there. I've been shooting all my life and have many of the NRA instructor certifications, which means nothing to most shooters.

The best reading so far is by Lanny Bassham and his Son. Great stuff. I'm also taking lessons from a couple instructors. The instructor I'm working with now is really a good instructor. He know's exactly what I need to be working on.
RKB likes this.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:43 PM   #7

Member #9178
I'm happy with my scores. I'm disappointed with some of the events that don't have enough people in them for me to get a punch. No big deal. I'll be shooting a long time, I'll never be the best and I'll never be the worst. I've been taking lessons and reading everything I can get my hands on. There is a lot of bad reading out there. I've been shooting all my life and have many of the NRA instructor certifications, which means nothing to most shooters.

The best reading so far is by Lanny Bassham and his Son. Great stuff. I'm also taking lessons from a couple instructors. The instructor I'm working with now is really a good instructor. He know's exactly what I need to be working on.
My wife and I waited until we retired to take up shooting and now it has become a weekly occurrence. It seems like you take something good from everything you read, every instructor and most everyone you shoot with. We shoot Sporting Clay's and Trap. We have found that the Sporting Clay's have improved our Trap shooting. Having our guns professionally fitted had a profound effect on our shooting. It is quite an addictive sport, isn't it ?
RKB likes this.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:17 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Member #1368
I have Randolph Rangers and had them before my eyes went worse. When I stopped wearing contacts, I got a scrip lens made in purple for everything. Tom at Texas Shooter's Optical is a great guy to deal with.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:49 PM   #9
RKB

Member #2031
My wife and I waited until we retired to take up shooting and now it has become a weekly occurrence. It seems like you take something good from everything you read, every instructor and most everyone you shoot with. We shoot Sporting Clay's and Trap. We have found that the Sporting Clay's have improved our Trap shooting. Having our guns professionally fitted had a profound effect on our shooting. It is quite an addictive sport, isn't it ?
I've been doing this stuff for close to forty years now and have loved every minute. I'm shooting Sporting tomorrow, skeet on Sunday, then Sporting again Monday, trap on Tuesday, etc etc etc. I'm not serious about any of it. I shot NSSA skeet competition for almost 20 years, got pretty good (AAA) and loved it while active, but no interest in competing again. Never shot competitive trap or sporting and never will, but I still go play. Sporting is my current favorite, IMHO it teaches you to READ a target and learn how to break it at the most opportune point. Other than that, I just love the smell of burnt powder.
Guess I'm just addicted to reloading....

Last edited by RKB; 07-06-2018 at 06:52 PM.
RKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:43 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Now I just need to get RKB to try Helice.................
RKB likes this.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote