Highly surprized. - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Highly surprized.

This is a discussion on Highly surprized. within the Sporting Clays forums, part of the Shotgun Shooters Forum category; Last Sunday went and shot a round of clays. I decided to take my newest aqustion a Breatta Silver Snipe 12ga. I bought a few ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Shooters Forum > Sporting Clays

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2018, 07:01 AM   #1

Member #10066
Highly surprized.

Last Sunday went and shot a round of clays. I decided to take my newest aqustion a Breatta Silver Snipe 12ga. I bought a few years back to go with my 20ga. model.
It is choked full and mod. and I have only shot it a couple of times to pattern it at different yardages and to see what I could reload to open the pattern up a bit.

So at station one a very difficult station for me where I consider it a good start if I break one bird, with my normal 20ga Mod choke. I got 3 of the 4 birds, Ok I admit the course had been changed for the sponcered shoot the week before.

The changes were all weird, all that well for my partner and he never did see the 1st bird except the smoke from my first hit.

Station 2 like all the others was changed, 1st. a really high flyer about 30 yards out going right to left was smoke also, 2nd. from left to right a mini about 25 yards out got knocked silly.

The rest of the course went pretty much the same. In the end we guessed I killed 85% of the birds many smoked into dust. Like I tell the girl at the desk, a score card is some thing we would need if we were cheaters.

Now what could it be that caused me to have such a good day? just a really good day? The tight chokes of the shot gun? The shot gun fit me so well,much better than any others?

Don't really know but plan on taking that shot gun again when I go.

Al

Last edited by trail twister; 05-17-2018 at 07:05 AM.
trail twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-17-2018, 09:58 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #1368
A good day; you mentioned the course was set soft from a previous shoot; maybe this gun just fots you a little better. I shoot registered sporting clays and I average in the mid 70s - low 80s on a good day.

Last weekend was a FFA fundraiser shoot where I shot everything with a SK/IC combo, broke 97 and was pissed at the 3 easy ones I missed. Some days are just like that.
RKB likes this.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:41 PM   #3
RKB

Member #2031
We have a club near us - Chilhowee Sportsman - that has charity/fundraisers a couple times a month. We tend to avoid them for a few days afterwards to give them time to re-set the course.
RKB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2018, 02:51 PM   #4

Member #9178
Then there is that old saying:

One day you are sipping champagne; the next day you are stompin' the grapes !
Old 05-17-2018, 04:34 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Or
"From the Penthouse to the outhouse"

I shoot a lot at Tampa Bay and they have 4, 8 station courses varying in level of difficulty from beginners to registered shooters tough.

Most charity shoots occupy their two easier courses while their registered shoots occupy the two harder ones. (One time they were throwing a 60 yard rabbit and you were shooting from an elevated position, followed by an outgoer from where the rabbit ended - OUCH!) This place has had days with 2-3 charity-type shoots on the same day! That's when we go someplace else.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by oneounceload; 05-17-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:43 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Member #148
sometimes it clicks sometimes it doesn't.
if it was easy, they wouldn't call it a sport.
Skeet & Trap Range Owner

Last edited by bobski; 05-17-2018 at 04:46 PM.
bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:52 AM   #7

Member #5570
A good friend and shooting instructor once told me that no matter how badly you shoot today, there will be a day when you shoot worse.

But back on topic. I shoot Sporting Clays every week and there are days now and then when I seemingly can't miss. There are also days when I could throw my hat to the ground and miss.

Fortunately most days are somewhere in between.
oneounceload likes this.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:13 AM   #8

Member #9178
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
A good friend and shooting instructor once told me that no matter how badly you shoot today, there will be a day when you shoot worse.

But back on topic. I shoot Sporting Clays every week and there are days now and then when I seemingly can't miss. There are also days when I could throw my hat to the ground and miss.

Fortunately most days are somewhere in between.
I have had days where the targets look as big as basketballs and days when they look as small as golf balls.
I have always wondered what causes those differences? Is it something I ate? something I drank? the phase of the moon ? or just plain old superstition !
Old 05-18-2018, 10:27 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Member #1368
It CAN be something you drank or ate; especially if alcohol was involved as it dehydrates your body, especially your eyes. Even if sober as a judge, on a hot day if you do not keep yourself hydrated, by then end, your eyes will start giving you trouble.......
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 05-18-2018, 10:55 AM   #10

Member #9178
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
It CAN be something you drank or ate; especially if alcohol was involved as it dehydrates your body, especially your eyes. Even if sober as a judge, on a hot day if you do not keep yourself hydrated, by then end, your eyes will start giving you trouble.......
A good test for proper hydration is to pinch the skin on the back of your hand and pull on it. Then let it go and see how fast it returns its normal position. If it returns to its normal position quickly your hydration is good. If it returns slowly you need to hydrate.
If I know that I am shooting the next day I lay off alcohol and caffeine. Usually just drink water or herbal tea.