Shotgun Forums

Shotgun Forums (https://www.shotgunforums.com/forums/)
-   Sporting Clays (https://www.shotgunforums.com/forums/sporting-clays/)
-   -   My return to clays shooting. (https://www.shotgunforums.com/forums/sporting-clays/11762-my-return-clays-shooting.html)

trail twister 06-17-2017 05:36 AM

My return to clays shooting.

When I returned home from whistle pig hunting Saturday May 12th evening I had a call message on the machine.
Got an invite to go shoot some sporting clays Sunday May 13th. Used to do it regular every Sunday morning back in the 1990's. I stopped shortly after I retired (2001) as shot got expensive, plus the cost of a round and a tip for the trapper. Also it was getting so that there were a lot of completive shooters on Sunday who wanted to slow things down for practice.

Decided I am going to take my Ithaca feather light model 37 20ga. that had been my dads and I have never shot. Dad could do real well when we were pat hunting and even rabbit hunting with the dog he had.

Stopped at my Brother in laws about 10 minutes to 9. Drove to his sportsman club, boy the place has changed from what it was last I shot there in the 1990's. Five skeet fields now compared to the two back then, Four 5 stand stations, new pistol range too. No trapper required for sporting clays, all the throwers are electric now. Sort of a shame in a way as it was young high school kids used to do it for the tips.

We and one other guy were the only people there that early other than the office girl that took our money, $22.00 for non members and $9.00 for members and their guest. Another fellow was waiting for his skeet shooting partner and asked if he could go out on the sporting clays course with us.

I was first up at station one and I was really thinking hard about the shot gun as it had been a very long time since I had shot a pump shot gun. Killed the first bird then kept pulling the trigger BIL yelling pump it, I did and killed the second bird some how. Got the next two birds from the same station. Took me till about station 10 to remember to pump that darn shot gun even with BIL and Gerry yelling pump it.

I still had a good time but only killed 23 birds out of 50. Brother in Laws second cousin and wife were in the club house getting ready to go shoot skeet and asked us to join them. I declined but told my brother in law to go ahead if he wanted too. I wanted to visit with some other people I knew there for a bit.

:D Al

trail twister 06-17-2017 05:41 AM

Brother in law called last Saturday evening ( week ago) and asked about going shooting clays again. We went to a place called Bald Mountain in Oakland county the richest county in Michigan I believe. It is a state game area now converted to a lot of things, rifle, pistol range. Skeet and trap fields and 5 stand along with sporting clays. Other area have horse back riding trails and mountain biking also.

Place was packed with shooters waiting for 10:00 AM opening of the courses.
We choose the 50 round course as I figure it has been 25 years since I had last shot there. I again used the pump gun and remembered to pump it and did fairly well but will admit I don't think I scored half of the 50. I felt distracted with waiting for our turn on stations and those watching who were waiting behind us. I didn't even feel right gathering my hulls. I was able to replace the ones by picking up at empty stations on our return to the club house.

Told my brother in law if we shoot there again we should make it a week day. Only 37 miles about from Detroit.

oneounceload 06-17-2017 07:02 AM

You are talking about Pat Lieske's place and next week they are having a pretty big registered sporting clays and FITASC shoot. Most, if not all, of the major top shooters in the country will be there. Might want to go check it out

2017 U.S. FITASC Grand Prix - Home

Starts Monday with events running all week

Even if you don't want to compete, there's no charge for going and walking around watching

trail twister 06-17-2017 07:31 PM

Pat also runs the place in Brighton.

Nope don't care to go watch how the money guys shoot.

oneounceload 06-17-2017 07:47 PM

Might want to go and learn HOW those guys shoot, as well as see what vendors are there.

A great way to see how some games are played if you've never done them before

trail twister 06-20-2017 06:35 AM

Those money guys are part of the reason I stopped shooting a good while back. Our club didn't have electric throwers back then, so the club would make a group of 6 (unless your group was bigger) assign a trapper to manual cock and load the throwers. I was working Sundays so wanted to get in a round before I had to go to work. Seemed like I was getting assigned to a group with one or 3 of those money shooters. If they missed a bird they wanted it thrown over and over till they hit it. Several times I didn't finish a round because I would have been late for work because of them.

Finally at a member ship meeting I addressed that and I was shot down you shoot with the group assigned by sign up period. I soon stopped being a member and shooting clays there and shortly after at other clubs open to the public.

Let the money guys have there fun and I will do like wise my way.

bobski 06-20-2017 07:53 AM

I have electric machines!
come join us for a 3 day weekend vacation shoot in mo in oct. be glad to have ya. meet us and shoot. youre 11 hours from me.

oneounceload 06-20-2017 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trail twister (Post 98841)
Those money guys are part of the reason I stopped shooting a good while back. Our club didn't have electric throwers back then, so the club would make a group of 6 (unless your group was bigger) assign a trapper to manual cock and load the throwers. I was working Sundays so wanted to get in a round before I had to go to work. Seemed like I was getting assigned to a group with one or 3 of those money shooters. If they missed a bird they wanted it thrown over and over till they hit it. Several times I didn't finish a round because I would have been late for work because of them.

Finally at a member ship meeting I addressed that and I was shot down you shoot with the group assigned by sign up period. I soon stopped being a member and shooting clays there and shortly after at other clubs open to the public.

That's not how any of this works in sporting clays. The "money" guys you can count on ten fingers; the other 400+ are there for fun and competition and to see if they beat their last score, figure out what the target setter tried to accomplish - a chess match with loud bangs (and sometimes some choice words! :D)

Mad Murdock 06-20-2017 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trail twister (Post 98841)

Where I shoot, if someone wants another crack at a target, they ask if anyone minds. If someone speaks up, and sometimes they do, we finish the rotation and on to the next station. That person can then go back and shoot that station until their hearts content. I am one of the few members that still work for a living and the youngest member by far and large. As for the guys like you described, I would see them as "money wanna bes" or nouveau riche, as most of the real money guys I know have more consideration than that and really couldn't care less about a missed clay while closing deals and talking investments, real estate, driven shoots, safaris, newest cars, planes, etc. Those guys have nothing to prove so it matters not, somewhat how I imagine shooting with Bobski, laid back with nothing to prove.

To know the future is to be trapped by it

Saul 06-20-2017 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Murdock (Post 99009)
Where I shoot, if someone wants another crack at a target, they ask if anyone minds. If someone speaks up, and sometimes they do, we finish the rotation and on to the next station. That person can then go back and shoot that station until their hearts content. I am one of the few members that still work for a living and the youngest member by far and large. As for the guys like you described, I would see them as "money wanna bes" or nouveau riche, as most of the real money guys I know have more consideration than that and really couldn't care less about a missed clay while closing deals and talking investments, real estate, driven shoots, safaris, newest cars, planes, etc. Those guys have nothing to prove so it matters not, somewhat how I imagine shooting with Bobski, laid back with nothing to prove.

To know the future is to be trapped by it

You are exactly right. I shoot at a private club that, much like yours, is almost entirely old, retired hunters (I may be getting old but I am certainly not retired). There is quite a lot of money at the club but you would never guess it if you do not walk through the parking lot first. It is only when I go to places with the nouveau riche crowd (check for oversized Mercedes SUVs) that you see people get flustered by missing a clay or bird.