My return to clays shooting. - Page 4 - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

My return to clays shooting.

This is a discussion on My return to clays shooting. within the Sporting Clays forums, part of the Shotgun Shooters Forum category; Originally Posted by Flash Ah, but there's no rule that says you have to be standing there with your gun shouldered. You can shoot it ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Shooters Forum > Sporting Clays

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2018, 04:20 PM   #31

Member #9178
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
Ah, but there's no rule that says you have to be standing there with your gun shouldered. You can shoot it any way you like.
When we shoot SC we set our own rule of "the gun can not be mounted".
The barrel can be rested on the stand front cross bar. We miss a few more targets that way but I never saw any one hunting a field with their gun mounted.
We only shoot for fun so we can set our own silly rules.
one eyed shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-07-2018, 04:38 PM   #32
Super Moderator

Member #1368
One eyed - try the basic FITASC mount - it is closer to hunting anyway
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:26 AM   #33

Member #10066
Talking

I didn't shoot the competition because I don't do that crap and we didn't have a 4 man/woman team.

Knew a guy once a Michigan Mulatia Man who shot a 410 pump a lot on a clays course and skeet field.
Made many feel foolish with their high dollar 12ga's.

Al
trail twister is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2018, 07:47 AM   #34

Member #5570
Originally Posted by one eyed shooter View Post
When we shoot SC we set our own rule of "the gun can not be mounted".
The barrel can be rested on the stand front cross bar. We miss a few more targets that way but I never saw any one hunting a field with their gun mounted.
We only shoot for fun so we can set our own silly rules.
I do similar things. I never do show birds and the paper showing the presentations frequently doesn't reflect where they truly are. Today, for instance, there will be no paper showing where the presentations are because there was a registered shoot Saturday and they wont put things back the way they were until around the end of this week, so it'll be exciting.

Also, the course goes up the hill from Station 1 to Station 12 and it's around 250 feet of elevation. I shoot a 20 gauge going up and a .410 going down.

However, I only shoot birds that are within 45~50 yards with the .410 as much beyond that gets into the realm of luck.

Another thing about Sporting Clays is the distance. I wasn't in on the beginnings but I heard they were trying to emulate real live bird hunting.

The problem is that we generally have around 8~10 presentations that are 65 yards to 85 yards out. Nobody I know shot at birds at those distances.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:15 AM   #35

Member #10066
Talking

Here in Michigan only time you could even shoot a bird 45 yards out was during the hey days of phesant hunting. Sadly I live in what was considered the capital phesant hunting county of Michigan and rarly see a bird hen or rooster.

Early partridge hunting the leaves are still on the trees we mostly hunt with out dogs and the birds flush in your face and once you recover from that flush they are in the leaves at 20 to 25 yards.

Al

Last edited by trail twister; 05-09-2018 at 05:12 AM.
trail twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:31 AM   #36

Member #9178
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
One eyed - try the basic FITASC mount - it is closer to hunting anyway
The more I read about FITSAC shooting the more I want to try it.
Most articles on line say you should go out with an experienced FITSAC shooter to properly learn the rules and etiquette.
Thanx for the tip
Old 05-08-2018, 10:28 AM   #37
Super Moderator

Member #1368
I can give you the basics

A parcour consists of 25 targets, typically shot from three positions called "pegs". There are not stands, usually more like a hula hoop or PVC pipe 1 meter in diameter. There will be a menu at each peg. Most parcours only use 5 machines, labeled A, B, C, D, E in clockwise orientation. A regular squad consists of 6 shooters. Everyone shooter will have a chance to lead off, as everyone shoots the singles first and then rotate shooters for the pairs. The first shooter up gets to see the single targets on the menu, report pairs are NOT shown, but true pairs are. Typically, you will see 4 singles and 2 pairs at peg 1&3 and 5 singles and 2 pairs at the second peg. (That is up to the setter, however.) With every single, you are allowed "full use of gun", meaning two shots, so you could go through 36 shells if you need that second shot for every single. Max allowable load in 12 gauge is 1oz. Low gun means the top of the gun must be 25cm below the center of the top of your shoulder - which for most of us is somewhere around your nipple. You cannot move until you actually see the target; even if you her it launch from behind something. Targets are SUPPOSED to be set between 35 and 55 yards. The reasoning is that, like hunting, too close and the bird would be destroyed; too far and you run the risk of only wounding it. That said, it doesn't mean that your second shot might not be out there.

So, shooter one leads off peg 1, shooter two leads off the pairs on peg 1; shooter three leads off the singles on peg 2, shooter four leads off the doubles on peg 2; shooter 5 leads off the singles on peg 3 and shooter 6 leads off the doubles on peg three
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 05-08-2018, 10:32 AM   #38
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Now, SuperSporting is designed as a hybrid between regular sporting ans Fitasc. Typically, there are 3-4 machines per sporting station with singles and then pairs. One difference in S.S. is that you only get to see the singles; even true pairs are not shown. Most clubs tend to throw this as a 50 bird side event, so typically about 8 stations are used. The other difference from FITASC is that you can free mount anyway you'd like.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 05-08-2018, 04:27 PM   #39

Member #9178
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
Now, SuperSporting is designed as a hybrid between regular sporting ans Fitasc. Typically, there are 3-4 machines per sporting station with singles and then pairs. One difference in S.S. is that you only get to see the singles; even true pairs are not shown. Most clubs tend to throw this as a 50 bird side event, so typically about 8 stations are used. The other difference from FITASC is that you can free mount anyway you'd like.
Thank you for your explanations.
At TBSC each course has 7 stations and 2 machines at each station. You can release the targets one at a time, a pair on report, or a true pair.
The highlight of my trip there last Thursday was hitting a true pair with my first shot. I treated myself to a bowl of ice cream.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:23 PM   #40
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Their Red course has 4 machines per station so you can try more challenging targets; typically, their C and D targets......I will be moving soon up north of Tallahassee. I will miss Mike, Gary, Dakota and Jenna. I also have a target key with a little over 1000 targets that I paid close to $400 for including tax. If you're interested in buying it, I can let it go for $350.
-Hunter S. Thompson