My return to clays shooting. - Page 3 - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

My return to clays shooting.

This is a discussion on My return to clays shooting. within the Sporting Clays forums, part of the Shotgun Shooters Forum category; If you are seeing rib, you will be shooting high; that can be easily corrected....

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Shooters Forum > Sporting Clays

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2018, 10:36 AM   #21
Super Moderator

Member #1368
If you are seeing rib, you will be shooting high; that can be easily corrected.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-03-2018, 06:30 PM   #22

Member #10066
Talking

The Model 37 doesn't have a rib.

Al
trail twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 01:49 PM   #23

Member #5570
Okay, if you are seeing the barrel you're shooting high.
oneounceload likes this.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2018, 02:19 PM   #24
RKB

Member #2031
Originally Posted by trail twister View Post
Post is nearly a year old you know!!!!!

Like watching millionaires play base ball, foot ball and basket ball, standing around watching people who to me are rich shoot sporting clays isn't my cup of tea.

Game was invented to be closer to hunting game than skeet and trap. Those guys with shot guns worth thousands, standing in the box with their guns shouldered when they call for the target just don't work for me.

Al
Yup. Just like anything else, as soon as more than one guy is playing, the 'let's see who is better' starts. Then comes rules, regimentation, registration, competitions, and then, the death blow - money gets involved, and with it, cheating, sandbagging, whining about how hard it is, so let's make it easier. Look at ATA Trap - softer targets, no more hard angles. Skeet - slower targets, no more low-gun rule, instant pulls.
So far, Sporting has seemed to dodge some of that. The good shooters seem to like more difficult presentations to challenge themselves. I'm in no way a Master-class Sporting shooter, but I'd still rather not shoot 'soft' targets. I don't shoot competition, either. Just a bunch of us folks that can still go out and have a great time shooting and socializing.
As for the mounted gun, not all of us do that.
RKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 05:12 PM   #25
Super Moderator

Member #1368
The Model 37 doesn't have a rib.

Al
Mine did when I had it back in the 80s.......
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 05-06-2018, 01:32 PM   #26

Member #5570
Post is nearly a year old you know!!!!!

Like watching millionaires play base ball, foot ball and basket ball, standing around watching people who to me are rich shoot sporting clays isn't my cup of tea.

Game was invented to be closer to hunting game than skeet and trap. Those guys with shot guns worth thousands, standing in the box with their guns shouldered when they call for the target just don't work for me.

Al
Ah, but there's no rule that says you have to be standing there with your gun shouldered. You can shoot it any way you like.
oneounceload and RKB like this.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:07 PM   #27
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Those guys with shot guns worth thousands, standing in the box with their guns shouldered when they call for the target just don't work for me.
What about the guys who are using their $200 12 gauge? Do they work for you? I shoot my O/U or semi low gun, and practice that way, because I shoot FITASC. I DO chuckle when I see some ex military who holds it muzzle pointing down with the buttstock above their shoulder blade and then try to move the gun all over the place while trying to catch the bird.
RKB and Flash like this.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 05-07-2018, 04:23 AM   #28

Member #10066
Talking

There are lots of guys who chuckle when they see me with the Model 37 and Chuck with his 870. All that matters to us is we have a good time and can figure out how we missed that so called easy one.

Went Saturday to shoot a quick round and couldn't due to a copitention shoot going on.

Drove to another place we used to go often. It has fell on hard times since all the law suits from the HOA's near by. If you want to shoot clays you have to be there well before 2:00 PM on a Saturday, wasn't told about Sunday shoots.

Place used to be a hopping place for shot gunners with skeet(3 fields) trap (1field), 5 stand (2 fields) and sporting clays. rifle and pistol range and archery 3D.

Sad to only see 2 other cars in the parking lot on a Saturday afternoon at 2:45 PM.

Al
trail twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:03 AM   #29

Member #5570
If you think they chuckle when they see a couple of pumps, you should see what they do when they see a .410
oneounceload likes this.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:12 AM   #30
Super Moderator

Member #1368
And especially when that person with the 410 shoots respectable scores....

Went Saturday to shoot a quick round and couldn't due to a copitention shoot going on.
Why didn't you shoot the competition?
-Hunter S. Thompson