mental game - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

mental game

This is a discussion on mental game within the Skeet Shooting forums, part of the Shotgun Shooters Forum category; I shot 4 rounds of skeet today and I was all over the place. My mental game wasn't to sharpe. To be consistant you have ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Shooters Forum > Skeet Shooting

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2020, 07:54 PM   #1

Member #17442
mental game

I shot 4 rounds of skeet today and I was all over the place. My mental game wasn't to sharpe. To be consistant you have to keep your head in the game. Have any of you ever had days like that?
ramblinrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-13-2020, 04:11 AM   #2

Member #9178
Originally Posted by ramblinrebel View Post
I shot 4 rounds of skeet today and I was all over the place. My mental game wasn't to sharpe. To be consistant you have to keep your head in the game. Have any of you ever had days like that?
I do not shoot skeet that often but I do shoot a lot of Sporting Clays and yes, There are days when I lose my concentration and would be better off throwing the shells at the targets than running them thru the barrel.
Best thing I can do on days like that is just admit I am having a bad day and just relax and enjoy the hits I get. Tomorrow is another day.
By the same token have you ever had those days when the targets all look like watermelons and you can't miss ?
oneounceload and ramblinrebel like this.
Old 06-13-2020, 07:07 AM   #3

Member #5570
Sometimes I have a day like that. When I do, Mrs. Flash looks at me and said "concentrate" and I do and things get better.

Interestingly enough, when I miss targets at skeet it's almost always stations 3, 4 or 5 or a combination of those, so I concentrate for a while on Stations 1 and 2, then lose concentration, they realize I have lost it and buckle down on station 5 or 6 and finish the round.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2020, 10:56 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Every now and again I walk into a sporting station after watching my group crush them all and I get maybe 1 or 2, or even a skunk' The lead and line looks right but I'm doing something wrong and don't get it figured out; IT happens...............
I have seen some "coaches" tell a student in that scenario to "just focus harder", without any explanation of what they are doing wrong........
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 12:56 PM   #5

Member #5570
I've never had a coach or an Instructor for shooting so I've always had to figure it out for myself (almost always, 1 exception I can think of right now).

What I found works well for me is doing laps in my pool. After I miss 1 or more presentations, I go home, clean guns and reload, then later do laps in the pool for 3/8 mile. While I'm doing laps I figure out what I was doing wrong and how I'm going to correct it.

The next time I go and shoot those presentations, I've got it figured out and I hit 'em.
Old 06-13-2020, 03:16 PM   #6

Member #9178
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
Sometimes I have a day like that. When I do, Mrs. Flash looks at me and said "concentrate" and I do and things get better.

Interestingly enough, when I miss targets at skeet it's almost always stations 3, 4 or 5 or a combination of those, so I concentrate for a while on Stations 1 and 2, then lose concentration, they realize I have lost it and buckle down on station 5 or 6 and finish the round.
When I have days like that Mrs. One eye just says "Here, watch me and I'll show you how to hit that target !"..... And then she does ! Nothing like kicking a guy when he is down .
Old 06-13-2020, 03:24 PM   #7

Member #9178
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
Every now and again I walk into a sporting station after watching my group crush them all and I get maybe 1 or 2, or even a skunk' The lead and line looks right but I'm doing something wrong and don't get it figured out; IT happens...............
I have seen some "coaches" tell a student in that scenario to "just focus harder", without any explanation of what they are doing wrong........
Telling a student to "just focus harder" sounds like a cop-out. Sort of like telling a baseball player to "hit the ball harder".
oneounceload and ramblinrebel like this.
Old 06-13-2020, 04:05 PM   #8

Member #17442
Shot again today and picked it up some.I shot 4 rounds with my regular group then shot with another squad. This bunch is very chatty and cuts up. The best round I shot all day 23/25.The only thing I can think of was I wasn't thinking to much and was relaxed. What do you all think?
oneounceload likes this.
Old 06-13-2020, 04:07 PM   #9

Member #17442
Gentlemen Mrs oneeyed must be bad to the bone.
oneounceload likes this.
Old 06-14-2020, 07:00 AM   #10

Member #5570
Originally Posted by ramblinrebel View Post
Shot again today and picked it up some.I shot 4 rounds with my regular group then shot with another squad. This bunch is very chatty and cuts up. The best round I shot all day 23/25.The only thing I can think of was I wasn't thinking to much and was relaxed. What do you all think?
Thinking is the #1 enemy of good scores. It needs to be subconscious.

Last Tuesday there was a problem with the low house. I called for a bird and none came out, called again, no bird, so I lowered my gun. A bird came out and surprised me so I shouldered the gun quickly and hit it dead center.

No conscious thought at all.
oneounceload and RKB like this.