mental game - Page 2 - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

mental game

This is a discussion on mental game within the Skeet Shooting forums, part of the Shotgun Shooters Forum category; Originally Posted by Flash Thinking is the #1 enemy of good scores. It needs to be subconscious. Last Tuesday there was a problem with the ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Shooters Forum > Skeet Shooting

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2020, 01:15 PM   #11

Member #9178
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
Thinking is the #1 enemy of good scores. It needs to be subconscious.

Last Tuesday there was a problem with the low house. I called for a bird and none came out, called again, no bird, so I lowered my gun. A bird came out and surprised me so I shouldered the gun quickly and hit it dead center.

No conscious thought at all.
There is a lot of truth to what you say !
Every once in a while when we are shooting SC's and the card calls for a "Report Pair" I will release the targets as a "Double" and Mrs. One Eye will break them both and then turn to me and say " Why did you do that?" I simply tell her that because her instincts take over and I knew she could break them both.
oneounceload likes this.
Old 06-14-2020, 01:40 PM   #12

Member #9178
Originally Posted by ramblinrebel View Post
Gentlemen Mrs oneeyed must be bad to the bone.
One of Mrs.One Eye's favorite saying is " It ain't bragging if you can do it ." Actually she and I have been married 53 years come next week and she has never been very competitive or athletically inclined. I tried getting her interested in all the sports. Golf, bowling, tennis. card games, etc. Nothing held her interest until we started shooting. She has great hand to eye coordination and really enjoys busting targets. I think she imagines my face on each one of them... Not bad for a great grandma !
oneounceload and ramblinrebel like this.
Old 06-14-2020, 06:09 PM   #13

Member #17442
My problem is I get to over thinking, here lately that's been the deal. Mrs. one eye must be a heck of a shot. It sounds like you have a lot of fun shooting, that's the way it should be! Does she shoot in tournaments with you?
ramblinrebel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2020, 09:56 PM   #14

Member #15516
I don't prefer chatty groups for skeet. That said...most of the guys I shoot with nowadays are a bit chatty. I can tune out a good bit, but not all the time. I feel fortunate to get a 24/25 these days no matter the gauge.

If you are familiar with the guys/gals you are shooting with it is easier to tune them out. Unfamiliar people, sometimes not so much.

I find if I can tune out what is going on around me, I shoot my best. I guess the difference is if I am shooting casually or for real.

I have not shot a registered bird in close to 25 years, so I answered that question.

I once had the pleasure of shooting in a 410 squad with the late Wayne Mayes in San Antonio in around 1984. I was so nervous but managed a very good 97. Wayne spoke to me after our squad was finished, and encouraged me as I was a fairly new National shooter.

Today...I never know how I am going to do.

Get good ear plugs and hope for the best.

All the best and good luck.
ramblinrebel likes this.

Last edited by jwsmith1959; 06-15-2020 at 05:15 AM.
jwsmith1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 07:00 AM   #15
Super Moderator

Member #1368
My problem is I get to over thinking, here lately that's been the deal. Mrs. one eye must be a heck of a shot. It sounds like you have a lot of fun shooting, that's the way it should be! Does she shoot in tournaments with you?

Stop the thinking. Once you view the targets, and make up your mind as to your approach, take a second, clear your head and then call. If you have time do that 4 second breathing exercise: inhale slowly and deeply for 4 seconds, hold it for 4 seconds, exhale slowly for 4 seconds, wait to inhale again for 4 seconds.
Secondly, do not get to thinking either "I can't hit these", or "I got this station run".........In either case you'll miss.

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

― Henry Ford
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:26 AM   #16

Member #17442
Thanks for your responses and good words. I enjoy this board for that very reason everyone wants to help a man out. Some good advise from all of you!
ramblinrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 01:58 PM   #17

Member #460
There are those days. Went to my personal rifle/pistol range one morning last year.........COULDN'T EVEN HIT THE DIRT! Packed up and went home. Next time was much better.
oneounceload likes this.
The Happy Kaboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 03:18 PM   #18
Super Moderator

Member #1368
OK, now THAT'S funny............
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 05:06 PM   #19

Member #9178
Thanks for your responses and good words. I enjoy this board for that very reason everyone wants to help a man out. Some good advise from all of you!
And the humor ain't bad either !