how many still shoot 26" bbls or less? - Page 4 - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

how many still shoot 26" bbls or less?

This is a discussion on how many still shoot 26" bbls or less? within the Skeet Shooting forums, part of the Shotgun Shooters Forum category; Originally Posted by LoFlyer Bob, this is an interesting subject for myself. Weighing only 125 pounds, it takes more muscle to swing around those long, ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Shooters Forum > Skeet Shooting

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Today, 08:49 AM   #31

Member #5570
Originally Posted by LoFlyer View Post
Bob, this is an interesting subject for myself.
Weighing only 125 pounds, it takes more muscle to swing around those long, heavy O/U barrels satisfactorily. I can do it, but am left wondering if these long barrels are necessary to achieve the accuracy required at the ranges encountered with sport clays, skeet/trap.
This is not a surgical instrument with precise targeting.
I discussed the issue with several knowledgeable shooters and friends on the range today.
The unanimous consensus of four good shooters was that a 26 inch barrel will do the job as satisfactory as the longer barrels at the distances we are shooting with skeet/trap/sporting clays.
For myself, less weight in the barrels provides better balance, easier maneuverability and more fracken' hits.
Something to think about for light-weight shooters.
KenC
The accuracy of a shotgun has nothing to do with the length of the barrels, but balance is a factor, as is smooth swinging.

The guys I shoot with mostly shoot longer barrels because they're smoother, rather than whippier than the 26" barrels.

OTOH, when I shot skeet many years ago, I used 26" because at the short ranges where taking longer for a swing is unacceptable.

I shot Sporting Clays with a 26" barrel for around 3 years, then went to a 32" simply because I got a good deal on the 32" gun. It improved my scores slightly and even then only on the long crossers and nothing else and that's to be expected with the longer barrels and their smoother swing.
Flash is online now   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads