Ammo availability problems - Page 3 - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Ammo availability problems

This is a discussion on Ammo availability problems within the Shotgun Talk forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; I never thought I would see this in my lifetime but I think the Liberal Left has finally gone too far. People seem to be ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Talk

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2021, 09:52 PM   #21

Member #16956
I never thought I would see this in my lifetime but I think the Liberal Left has finally gone too far. People seem to be stocking up on all kinds of ammunition. Perhaps it is time to examine historically how Americans react to constant bullying?
4575wcf is online now   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-03-2021, 08:06 AM   #22

Member #5570
Look no farther than 1775 at Concord Bridge.
oneounceload likes this.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:59 AM   #23

Member #15516
I had a little disposable funds last year prior to the pandemic and stored up on quite a bit of stuff that I thought I was a little light on. Got plenty of powder, shot, wads, primers and stocked up on a lot of bullets I had been wanting to try out. I am short on Rimfire as it is one of the things I can shoot on my place here. A buddy picked up a couple of thousand 22 LR locally, but I don't know what he paid for it. I would like to have a better stock of 17 HMR, 22 LR and 22 Mag. as well as some more small rifle primers. In my boredom of not getting to the range, I am now pretty much out of any loadable rifle brass. I still have a few thousand shotgun hulls, but don't have a lot of extra storage for loaded ammo...lol. If I start shooting regular again, I could shoot nothing but 20 gauge and probably not run out for 5-10 years.

I do think it's going to get worse before it gets better with the supply being bought up as soon as it hits the shelves.

Good luck and all the best.

Edited: I know I mentioned my Brother-in-Law helping himself to a bunch of my loaded buckshot awhile back. Well...missing about 4 boxes of .410 that I am sure he grabbed for his Judge. A mix of 2 1/2 inch 8 and 8 1/2. Couple hundred rounds of additional 12 gauge. Some 3/4 ounce reclaimed shot reloads along with some dove loads. I know his thought process is that I'll never miss such a "small amount", but Damn...lol

Last edited by jwsmith1959; 01-03-2021 at 10:50 AM.
jwsmith1959 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2021, 03:24 PM   #24

Member #16956
I am still stinging from the Clinton/Obama years. The last straw was when I was supposed to sign a statement to the effect that I was not involved with any organization determined to overthrow the United States government, in order to shoot my WWII Garand rifle in a nostalgia match, or to shoot in a high power leg match to become distinguished. I didn't sign and I didn't shoot. Criminy, I am constitutionally REQUIRED to act out against a tyrannical government should it come to that. Can these folks not read?
oneounceload and ramblinrebel like this.
4575wcf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:11 PM   #25

Member #17580
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
As I said, there's plenty of ammo in the local gun stores around here, not all of them, but a lot. The ranges all have it for sale in all the popular calibers. Price? Kinda high, but people are paying it. Typically I'm seeing around 80/round for .223/5.56, 50/round for 9MM and a little more for .45 ACP. At the last gun show a couple of weeks ago, there must have been at least 100K rounds of each of the popular calibers for sale, sitting there on pallets.

According to the employees at the LGS/range I shoot at every week, all the new buyers insisted on being able to buy a couple of boxes of shells or more for their new gun purchases or they wouldn't buy the guns and the store accommodated them.

Shotgun range ammo for the clay sports is readily available and seems to run around $8.00/box for the common gauges and .410 bore is around $10.00/box. Clay target shooters are out on the range every week and none of them seem to be making an effort to cut down the amount they're shooting.

In short, it's there if you're willing to look for it and pay for it, otherwise you do without.

Now first off I'm NOT picking on you or disagreeing with your assessment of things locally .

I'm saying Nation wide including Free States NV ID WY MT OK TX LA TN FL NC KY GA MI NM MN as well as MANY others .

ALL and I do mean ALL Internet retail and wholesale outlets are TAPPED OUT !. I'm speaking of National chain suppliers , NONE of them have any ammo .
Just try and order any of it !. NO stock Out of Stock No back orders is more of the normal response than finding anything .

I generally go directly to the manufacturer for pallet purchases ( I've been doing that for better than 30 years , so I'm NOT hoarding just wisely investing ). This is the very 1 St. time #3 not one or two but THREE manufacturers have NOT been able to fulfill a standing order . Demand shortage was the reason given and NO surplus or extra allotments were mentioned or expressed .
As a matter of fact MY favorite manufacturer stated , IF any case lots were to become available it would be sometime possibly in 2023 and as for pallet orders we regret no possible time frame can be given .

As I know someone who purchases for one of the Biggest ammunition distributors in the USA , standing orders for $ millions per year . She has also told Me exactly the same thing . Their orders are filled in part directly from the manufactures but NO components PERIOD . Has Never happened before to her knowledge and she's been with the company #17 years !.

FYI : In case some Don't know this ; Vista Outdoor has a standing $ 1Billion ammo order and their NOT getting it either ,a trickle here there yes but not enough to warrant the investment capital and it's possible that may just go away !???.
OU12/20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:03 PM   #26

Member #15702
Nothing is tapped out there OU. I just ordered a box on Gun Broker for $89. Like a lot of guys say. It's out there but it's expensive. The days of $.22/shell are gone..

Last edited by Tucker99; 01-03-2021 at 08:51 PM.
Tucker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:37 AM   #27

Member #5570
Originally Posted by OU12/20 View Post
Now first off I'm NOT picking on you or disagreeing with your assessment of things locally .

I'm saying Nation wide including Free States NV ID WY MT OK TX LA TN FL NC KY GA MI NM MN as well as MANY others .

ALL and I do mean ALL Internet retail and wholesale outlets are TAPPED OUT !. I'm speaking of National chain suppliers , NONE of them have any ammo .
Just try and order any of it !. NO stock Out of Stock No back orders is more of the normal response than finding anything .
I'm not picking on you either, just stating facts. I don't want the board members to think there is no ammo out there when in fact there is.

I've got 5 flats of 20 gauge and 20 boxes of .22 WMR arriving tomorrow that were ordered off the net about 10 days ago or so. I could've ordered more, but I just order enough to replace what Mrs. Flash and I shoot every week.

It's out there, you just have to look around.
Old 01-04-2021, 06:19 PM   #28

Member #125
Shotgun ammo is easy to find here at a reasonable price.

Most rifle and handgun ammo is more difficult to find but then at a higher price then last year.
Old 01-04-2021, 07:47 PM   #29
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Here in N. FL/S. GA, ammo is scarce at the big dogs like BASS, Academy, Walmart, etc. Some of the smaller places do have some ammo, and it is reasonably priced but supply is limited and sporadic.
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:06 PM   #30

Member #5570
Well, I think the UPS guy hates me. He's probably got a hernia now.

It's almost like Christmas.