Vintage shotshell boxes - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Vintage shotshell boxes

This is a discussion on Vintage shotshell boxes within the Shotgun Talk forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; I decided to put together a display including an old 10 gauge. Thought I'd include a vintage 10ga shot shell box, but my search turned ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Talk

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RSD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2020, 07:47 PM   #1

Member #18018
Vintage shotshell boxes

I decided to put together a display including an old 10 gauge. Thought I'd include a vintage 10ga shot shell box, but my search turned up very few, and those that I found were very expensive. Got to thinking about 10 gauge and thought perhaps they weren't very popular because 12 gauge proved more efficient for most purposes. Were they mostly used by market gunners and that practice was discontinued? My old 10 gauge weighs a ton: can't imagine anyone carrying it through the woods! Maybe the old timers were alot tougher than we are now!
danth is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-13-2020, 07:21 AM   #2
RSD

Member #18070
I'm not a goose hunter, but the few people I know who like the 10 gauge, say it is great for that game. There are just not a lot of options compared to 12gauge.
oneounceload likes this.
RSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:07 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Member #1368
^^^ Exactly right. before the demise of lead and the onset of the 3.5" 12, anyone who hunted geese regularly had a 10 gauge
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2020, 10:42 AM   #4

Member #18018
Was goose hunting in the past as popular as today? I've heard a lot about duck and carrier pigeon market hunters in the past but haven't heard much about market hunting for geese, but they must have. That being the case, you'd think I'd come across more vintage 10 gauge boxes
danth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:45 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Member #1368
A lot of those boxes, being paper/card board most likely didn't survive too long near the water. I would bet Ebay might have something
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:12 AM   #6

Member #7073
I collect vintage shot shell boxes and 10 Ga. ones are not easy to find, in fact most of my vintage collection of full unmolested boxes are 12 Ga. with a few 16 Ga. and 20 Ga. and very few .410 bore, I do have a few 10 Ga. older paper shells but no full box as of yet....
packrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:14 PM   #7

Member #17864
10g. I actually still shoot and make my own ammo for my 100y/o Spanish SxS shotgun. It’s absolutely wonderful to shoot once you learn how to treat it and hold it. Less than perfect form and shooting and she will let you know it. It weights 13lbs so not light but I’ve taken on many duck, and pheasant hunts and even dove with my own special loads. Getting doubles at 30-40y is almost normal and 75-80y are actually reachable because of the high pellet count. Velocity is same as 12g I’m just sending twice the pellets.

I have a second 10g Browning BPS that is super easy to shoot although lighter it does have a snappy recoil.

10g is the king of the field I assure you. If you don’t own one they are a great addition to your collection. Besides you get extra man points just for owning it.
Ranch565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:03 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Member #148
10ga was the gauge of the time. when 12ga came out...it was considered a womans load.
NSSA All American
Certified NRA Shotgun Instructor
Skeet & Trap Range Owner
bobski is online now   Reply With Quote