Two basic choke questions. - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Two basic choke questions.

This is a discussion on Two basic choke questions. within the Shotgun Talk forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; 1. If an O/U shotgun is being used, is it necessary that extended chokes be used in both barrels, when shooting doubles ? In other ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Talk

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2020, 08:59 AM   #1

Member #15098
Two basic choke questions.

1. If an O/U shotgun is being used, is it necessary that extended chokes be used in both barrels, when shooting doubles ?
In other words, can you use an extended choke in one barrel and a flush choke in the other, and shoot doubles ?
2. I read that one of the advantages of an extended choke over a flush choke is the ease of changing chokes. Does that mean extended chokes are installed " hand tight", rather than being tightened with the corresponding tool ?
Thanks,
Hanagan
PS: I moved question 1 from another thread, where I believe it was lost.
hanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-05-2020, 02:14 PM   #2

Member #9178
Originally Posted by hanagan View Post
1. If an O/U shotgun is being used, is it necessary that extended chokes be used in both barrels, when shooting doubles ?
In other words, can you use an extended choke in one barrel and a flush choke in the other, and shoot doubles ?
2. I read that one of the advantages of an extended choke over a flush choke is the ease of changing chokes. Does that mean extended chokes are installed " hand tight", rather than being tightened with the corresponding tool ?
Thanks,
Hanagan
PS: I moved question 1 from another thread, where I believe it was lost.
The answer to whether or not you can use an extended choke in one barrel and a flush in the other is "yes". I asked this same question about a year ago and the group pretty much agreed that it was OK to do this.
Answer to #2 is the extended choke is hand tightened but should be checked
occasionally to be sure it does not become loose. (it will loosen during extended use). It also IS easier to identify which choke is installed. And a third advantage is that it protects the end of your barrel. An inadvertent drop or bump might damage the choke (cost abt $50,00) rather than the barrel ($400,00)
Old 02-05-2020, 04:33 PM   #3

Member #15098
one eyed shooter,

I just knew you would be out there willing to help me. The information you supplied was exactly what I needed.
All the best.
Hanagan
one eyed shooter likes this.

Old 02-05-2020, 05:44 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Member #1368
You can use an extended with a flush mount - whether or not there is an advantage, only you can determine. Personally, I prefer my chokes to be the same - whether flush or extended - just easier that way. An extended choke still needs tightening, but after being hand snugged, it usually doesn't require as much compared to flush mounted.

I prefer extended, because as One-Eyed mentioned, replacing a choke tube for $40-$100 is cheaper than replacing a set of barrels that might cost form $1500-$8000
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:13 PM   #5

Member #15098
oneounceload,

Thanks for your input.
Hanagan
Old 02-07-2020, 12:22 PM   #6

Member #6025
Only down side I'm aware of is the barrel with the extended choke will sustain black powder stains. Required a brass brush and Hoppes to remove the stain in my case. Didn't hurt anything, just looked like I don't look after my equipment. Bummer for me. Maybe not for others.
Old 02-07-2020, 01:52 PM   #7

Member #9178
Originally Posted by buck45 View Post
Only down side I'm aware of is the barrel with the extended choke will sustain black powder stains. Required a brass brush and Hoppes to remove the stain in my case. Didn't hurt anything, just looked like I don't look after my equipment. Bummer for me. Maybe not for others.
Buck 45 makes a good point. It also reminds me that you never want to shoot without a choke in both barrels. Doing so will leave black powder dust in the threads of the barrel with out a choke.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:08 PM   #8

Member #15098
After reviewing all of the input and advice I received here, I ordered two new Browning extended chokes. One is "full" and the other "modified".
I already have two Browning extended "skeet" chokes. They will be in my O/U when I shoot skeet, and when I shoot trap, I'll have the "full" in the top barrel and the "modified" below. ( and use the bottom barrel when I shoot singles and both barrels when shooting doubles.)
Thanks to all for your help.
Hanagan
PS: I love this hobby. There is an unlimited way to spend money.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:57 PM   #9

Member #5570
A bit late, but I always tighten my extended chokes with my fingers, then a final snugging with a choke tool.

By doing it this way I've never had one come loose, nor have I ever had one stick.
Triggerfinger likes this.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 05:20 PM   #10

Member #15098
Flash,
Thanks for the advice. I can always count on the members here for the help I need.
Hanagan