In the market for a newer O/U - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

In the market for a newer O/U

This is a discussion on In the market for a newer O/U within the Shotgun Talk forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; I have been looking for a new or lightly used O/U for target shooting. Mostly clays from a thrower for fun and occasional sporting clays ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Talk

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2020, 06:47 PM   #1

Member #17028
In the market for a newer O/U

I have been looking for a new or lightly used O/U for target shooting. Mostly clays from a thrower for fun and occasional sporting clays and skeet. I have been using my 1993 Ruger Red Label 12/26 or Benelli Montefeltro that I also hunt with. Have some fears of putting that many rounds through my RRL for the limited parts in the event of a failure, which so far I have had none. Probably have to sell a few things to fund a quality O/U so I may sell the RRL. Have been eyeballing the Citori CX and the Beretta 690 Sporting Black. I am currently interested in these models because I am not real sure of the durability of a silver nitride finish on a receiver. Any good advice or opinions/ experience on these models?
Shootmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-25-2020, 07:14 PM   #2

Member #15516
Gunbroker has a couple of Nikko in 12 gauge for a good price. Starting bid on a Golden Eagle is $800 which is a steal. Collectors Firearms in Houston also has some. I really like the fit and feel of the Nikko. Most of the ones I have seen lately were made at the Olin-Kodensha plant in Japan and are of high quality. Good luck.
jwsmith1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:43 PM   #3

Member #17028
I’ll have to look into those. Thanks for the info. Never made a used firearm purchase online where I can’t check them out in person. Been wanting shoulder a couple models at the Cabela’s here in KC or at my favorite LGS.

Old 01-26-2020, 12:05 AM   #4

Member #15516
Originally Posted by Shootmore View Post
Iíll have to look into those. Thanks for the info. Never made a used firearm purchase online where I canít check them out in person. Been wanting shoulder a couple models at the Cabelaís here in KC or at my favorite LGS.
Yes....with shotguns it is a bit of a leap of faith. I just know the Nikko fits from past experience.

I also really like the Citori Feather Superlight. I love the English style stock and it fits me really well also. A bit pricey nowadays though.

Joel
Old 01-26-2020, 09:22 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Either gun will be fine; the key is to shoot them to see which one fits you better. Maybe go to your local trap/skeet range, make a few new friends and see if anyone has the guns you're interested in and see if they'll let you borrow them. Bring some nice ammo like Remington STS or Winchester AA
dawgs2 likes this.
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:02 PM   #6

Member #17028
Not a bad idea. Who couldn’t use more friends at the range? I’ll have to plan another day when the weather gets warmer here in KC. Maybe then there will be more friends to be made. I have heard that the Browning and Beretta fit differently and would like to feel that for myself.

I looked into the Nikko O/U’s a little. Not sure that’s the direction I want to go. No reason to think there is anything wrong with them. Just that my part of reason for looking is to find a current production model that will have parts and service readily available for years to come.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:31 PM   #7

Member #15516
I have a Winchester 96 XPert made at the Olin/Kodensha plant in 1975 or so. It has over 140K rounds through it and very little work done over the years.
Old 01-27-2020, 04:33 PM   #8

Member #16752
I had a similar situation. Had a few older guns and was afraid of parts issues. I was able to get a decent trade-in value and went for a new SP1.

If the SP1 fits you I think it's a great choice due its proven reliability and quality. The best part is that Beretta O/U's tend to hold their value better than most if you decide to trade down the line.
joelmar19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:45 PM   #9

Member #17028
I’ve yet to get my hands on anything to check fit. I have sold a couple handguns I could do without. Not sure I can let the RRL go. A friend is interested in it so I guess I might at least still get to shoot it, but that might be like see a buddy with my old girlfriend. My gut says I’ll be kicking myself down the road. I saw a very nice condition SKB 585 Target on a local website. 12 gauge with 30” barrels and they are asking $1200. That’s well within my reach. No experience with SKB. Are they good quality and serviceable?
Old 01-28-2020, 05:55 AM   #10

Member #15516
I had an SKB semi auto back in the early 80's. It always functioned flawlessly for me and was a little lighter than my other SA's.

Looking at some of the OU's on the SKB website, many have adjustable combs and heels. A big plus if you are unsure of the fit.

The reviews I have seen at the Trapshooters Forum are excellent. I would not hesitate getting an SKB.