When you first start looking - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

When you first start looking

This is a discussion on When you first start looking within the Shotgun Talk forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; I am a green horn when it comes to shotguns, I have never owned one but I have fired a few here and there. Since ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Talk

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2019, 10:16 PM   #1

Member #16580
When you first start looking

I am a green horn when it comes to shotguns, I have never owned one but I have fired a few here and there. Since I have never owned a shotgun, and I plan to buy one soon. I won't make my first post with what's a better this shotgun vs the other brand/model. I do need to do some homework. However, my question would be what to look for or not look for when selecting one.

I am interest in a pump action, 12 gauge, modified choke I assume, and something that is not going to jam up easy.

If I do an internet search for best pump shot gun, it always comes up with the 870 express or Mossberg 500. OMG how many variations of both of them are there. Beside I am sure there are tons of good manufactures out there, so I canít stay narrow minded.

I donít want a shotgun with known issues, like extractor problems. Comparing to what I understand with pistols, I donítí know if shotguns stovepipe? I keep hearing about issues with the 870's but have no idea what they are.

If anyone has a great link to share, I could do some reading.

Semper Fi

XD Mod 2 9mm 4" service model

Alien Gear ShapeShift 4.0 IWB Holster
Masterchither is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-02-2019, 09:54 AM   #2

Member #9178
Originally Posted by Masterchither View Post
I am a green horn when it comes to shotguns, I have never owned one but I have fired a few here and there. Since I have never owned a shotgun, and I plan to buy one soon. I won't make my first post with what's a better this shotgun vs the other brand/model. I do need to do some homework. However, my question would be what to look for or not look for when selecting one.

I am interest in a pump action, 12 gauge, modified choke I assume, and something that is not going to jam up easy.

If I do an internet search for best pump shot gun, it always comes up with the 870 express or Mossberg 500. OMG how many variations of both of them are there. Beside I am sure there are tons of good manufactures out there, so I canít stay narrow minded.

I donít want a shotgun with known issues, like extractor problems. Comparing to what I understand with pistols, I donítí know if shotguns stovepipe? I keep hearing about issues with the 870's but have no idea what they are.

If anyone has a great link to share, I could do some reading.

Semper Fi
Hello and welcome from FL
The first thing that I would ask is what are you planning on using the shot gun for. Home defense ? Skeet? Trap, Sporting Clays? Hunting? Or a combination of some ?
There are several knowledgeable people on this site that can point you in the right direction. There are also some "wanna be's"... give this group some directions towards your use and they will flood your post with advice.
Good luck
oneounceload likes this.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:02 PM   #3

Member #9953
Originally Posted by one eyed shooter View Post
The first thing that I would ask is what are you planning on using the shot gun for. Home defense ? Skeet? Trap, Sporting Clays? Hunting? Or a combination of some ?
There are several knowledgeable people on this site that can point you in the right direction. There are also some "wanna be's"... give this group some directions towards your use and they will flood your post with advice.
Good luck
Definitely this. Figure out what you intend to do with the shotgun first. Then look at a few that will fill that need. If you can shoot a few then that is best case. Nice in the pistol world that there are ranges that you can rent pistols at prior to making a purchase. Harder to do with shotguns.

There are a lot more pump shotguns out there than the Remington and Mossberg offerings.

I have always been a bang for the buck kind of guy. My Mossbergs have served me very well.

If my budget allowed I would be purchasing something a little nicer.
Hard H2O is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2019, 12:32 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Member #148
whats your target?
whats you ammo?
whats your budget?
whats your health?
where will it be shot?

KISS theory will get you in the right direction.
Certified NRA Shotgun Instructor
Skeet & Trap Range Owner
bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:41 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Why a pump?
As mentioned, what's the usage?
ďLife should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!Ē
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:25 PM   #6

Member #16580
Originally Posted by one eyed shooter View Post
The first thing that I would ask is what are you planning on using the shot gun for. Home defense ? Skeet? Trap, Sporting Clays? Hunting? Or a combination of some ? Good luck
I think for home defense, it would be a good backup for me. Skeet is something I am interested in, and by the way, I am lousy at it.

Not for hunting though.

Thank you!

Old 10-02-2019, 07:29 PM   #7

Member #16580
Originally Posted by Hard H2O View Post
I have always been a bang for the buck kind of guy. My Mossbergs have served me very well.

If my budget allowed I would be purchasing something a little nicer.
Thank you! I am going to go to Sportsman's Warehouse this weekend and maybe Fleet Farm and put a few in my hands.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:38 PM   #8
RKB

Member #2031
A pump is just fine for casual skeet, I use several of them quite often.
As for choke, most shotguns available today come with screw-in chokes. Typically they come with three, Improved cylinder, modified, and full. IC is fine for skeet - as well as HD. Try to stay away from anything labeled "tactical" until you are more experienced with shotguns, and please don't fall for a pistol-grip-only shotguns. They look 'cool' but require some skills to use effectively. Also, some gun clubs will not let you shoot one on their fields.
The best thing to do would be to find a local trap or skeet club and visit it, talk to the shooters there.
What part of the country are you residing in?
"Skeet is something I am interested in, and by the way, I am lousy at it."
Don't worry about it. None of us started at the top of the game!

Last edited by RKB; 10-02-2019 at 07:54 PM.
RKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:38 PM   #9

Member #16580
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
whats your target?
whats you ammo?
whats your budget?
whats your health?
where will it be shot?

KISS theory will get you in the right direction.
Thank you, ammo I have no idea, I have never purchase shotgun ammo. However, it will be 12 Gauge. In my pistols, I run Federal so I am sure they have some good ammo

My health? Excellent, 280 lb, in shape and can handle any kickback.

It will be used skeet shooting, and home defense.

I will keep it simple!

Old 10-02-2019, 07:40 PM   #10

Member #16580
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
Why a pump?
As mentioned, what's the usage?
Thank you, I have no idea why a pump, I thought that was the way to go. Skeet, and home defense.