Shotgun Forums

Shotgun Forums (https://www.shotgunforums.com/forums/)
-   Shotgun Talk (https://www.shotgunforums.com/forums/shotgun-talk/)
-   -   When you first start looking (https://www.shotgunforums.com/forums/shotgun-talk/23626-when-you-first-start-looking.html)

Masterchither 10-01-2019 10:16 PM

When you first start looking

I am a green horn when it comes to shotguns, I have never owned one but I have fired a few here and there. Since I have never owned a shotgun, and I plan to buy one soon. I won't make my first post with what's a better this shotgun vs the other brand/model. I do need to do some homework. However, my question would be what to look for or not look for when selecting one.

I am interest in a pump action, 12 gauge, modified choke I assume, and something that is not going to jam up easy.

If I do an internet search for best pump shot gun, it always comes up with the 870 express or Mossberg 500. OMG how many variations of both of them are there. Beside I am sure there are tons of good manufactures out there, so I canít stay narrow minded.

I donít want a shotgun with known issues, like extractor problems. Comparing to what I understand with pistols, I donítí know if shotguns stovepipe? I keep hearing about issues with the 870's but have no idea what they are.

If anyone has a great link to share, I could do some reading.

Semper Fi

one eyed shooter 10-02-2019 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterchither (Post 142942)
I am a green horn when it comes to shotguns, I have never owned one but I have fired a few here and there. Since I have never owned a shotgun, and I plan to buy one soon. I won't make my first post with what's a better this shotgun vs the other brand/model. I do need to do some homework. However, my question would be what to look for or not look for when selecting one.

I am interest in a pump action, 12 gauge, modified choke I assume, and something that is not going to jam up easy.

If I do an internet search for best pump shot gun, it always comes up with the 870 express or Mossberg 500. OMG how many variations of both of them are there. Beside I am sure there are tons of good manufactures out there, so I canít stay narrow minded.

I donít want a shotgun with known issues, like extractor problems. Comparing to what I understand with pistols, I donítí know if shotguns stovepipe? I keep hearing about issues with the 870's but have no idea what they are.

Semper Fi

Hello and welcome from FL
The first thing that I would ask is what are you planning on using the shot gun for. Home defense ? Skeet? Trap, Sporting Clays? Hunting? Or a combination of some ?
There are several knowledgeable people on this site that can point you in the right direction. There are also some "wanna be's"... give this group some directions towards your use and they will flood your post with advice.
Good luck

Hard H2O 10-02-2019 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one eyed shooter (Post 142946)
The first thing that I would ask is what are you planning on using the shot gun for. Home defense ? Skeet? Trap, Sporting Clays? Hunting? Or a combination of some ?
There are several knowledgeable people on this site that can point you in the right direction. There are also some "wanna be's"... give this group some directions towards your use and they will flood your post with advice.
Good luck

Definitely this. Figure out what you intend to do with the shotgun first. Then look at a few that will fill that need. If you can shoot a few then that is best case. Nice in the pistol world that there are ranges that you can rent pistols at prior to making a purchase. Harder to do with shotguns.

There are a lot more pump shotguns out there than the Remington and Mossberg offerings.

I have always been a bang for the buck kind of guy. My Mossbergs have served me very well.

If my budget allowed I would be purchasing something a little nicer.

bobski 10-02-2019 12:32 PM

whats your target?
whats you ammo?
whats your budget?
whats your health?
where will it be shot?

KISS theory will get you in the right direction.

oneounceload 10-02-2019 12:41 PM

Why a pump?
As mentioned, what's the usage?

Masterchither 10-02-2019 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one eyed shooter (Post 142946)
The first thing that I would ask is what are you planning on using the shot gun for. Home defense ? Skeet? Trap, Sporting Clays? Hunting? Or a combination of some ? Good luck

I think for home defense, it would be a good backup for me. Skeet is something I am interested in, and by the way, I am lousy at it.

Not for hunting though.

Thank you!

Masterchither 10-02-2019 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hard H2O (Post 142948)
I have always been a bang for the buck kind of guy. My Mossbergs have served me very well.

If my budget allowed I would be purchasing something a little nicer.

Thank you! I am going to go to Sportsman's Warehouse this weekend and maybe Fleet Farm and put a few in my hands.

RKB 10-02-2019 07:38 PM

A pump is just fine for casual skeet, I use several of them quite often.
As for choke, most shotguns available today come with screw-in chokes. Typically they come with three, Improved cylinder, modified, and full. IC is fine for skeet - as well as HD. Try to stay away from anything labeled "tactical" until you are more experienced with shotguns, and please don't fall for a pistol-grip-only shotguns. They look 'cool' but require some skills to use effectively. Also, some gun clubs will not let you shoot one on their fields.
The best thing to do would be to find a local trap or skeet club and visit it, talk to the shooters there.
What part of the country are you residing in?
"Skeet is something I am interested in, and by the way, I am lousy at it."
Don't worry about it. None of us started at the top of the game! :D

Masterchither 10-02-2019 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobski (Post 142950)
whats your target?
whats you ammo?
whats your budget?
whats your health?
where will it be shot?

KISS theory will get you in the right direction.

Thank you, ammo I have no idea, I have never purchase shotgun ammo. However, it will be 12 Gauge. In my pistols, I run Federal so I am sure they have some good ammo

My health? Excellent, 280 lb, in shape and can handle any kickback.

It will be used skeet shooting, and home defense.

I will keep it simple!

Masterchither 10-02-2019 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneounceload (Post 142954)
Why a pump?
As mentioned, what's the usage?

Thank you, I have no idea why a pump, I thought that was the way to go. Skeet, and home defense.

Masterchither 10-02-2019 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKB (Post 142986)
A pump is just fine for casual skeet, I use several of them quite often.
As for choke, most shotguns available today come with screw-in chokes. Typically they come with three, Improved cylinder, modified, and full. IC is fine for skeet - as well as HD. Try to stay away from anything labeled "tactical" until you are more experienced with shotguns, and please don't fall for a pistol-grip-only shotguns. They look 'cool' but require some skills to use effectively. Also, some gun clubs will not let you shoot one on their fields.
The best thing to do would be to find a local trap or skeet club and visit it, talk to the shooters there.
What part of the country are you residing in?

Thank you, I live in the Twin Cities of Minnesota, there is a gun club not too far away that. I will stay away from the tactical or anything with just the pistol grip.

octanejunkie 10-03-2019 01:44 PM

OU for skeet, semi for sporting clays, pump for home defense. Most importantly, make sure the gun fits you.

Just like everything else, practice practice practice

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

oneounceload 10-03-2019 10:00 PM

Skeet and HD are two WAY different uses, BUT...................a pump can work for both IF you're not going to be doing serious competition, etc. 870 WINGMASTER NOT the cheap Express would be a great choice as would the Browning BPS - both are MUCH better than the cheaper guns from Remington (Express) and Mossberg (500 and Maverick)

Masterchither 10-04-2019 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by octanejunkie (Post 143014)
OU for skeet, semi for sporting clays, pump for home defense. Most importantly, make sure the gun fits you.

Just like everything else, practice practice practice

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thank you OJ!

Masterchither 10-04-2019 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneounceload (Post 143046)
Skeet and HD are two WAY different uses, BUT...................a pump can work for both IF you're not going to be doing serious competition, etc. 870 WINGMASTER NOT the cheap Express would be a great choice as would the Browning BPS - both are MUCH better than the cheaper guns from Remington (Express) and Mossberg (500 and Maverick)

Wow, that Browning BPS Hunter Pump Action Shotgun dose look good. I will read up on it this weekend. Not a bad price, just under $600.00

Thank you!

bobski 10-04-2019 04:56 PM

bps is unique with a downward eject.

Masterchither 10-04-2019 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobski (Post 143098)

I like the thought of the downward eject port, makes sense and easy to collect your shells. One thing as I was searching the BPS Hunter is discontinued, but still available. I question myself looking at the new 2020 model BPS Field, I guess just updated for 2020. It looks nice, maybe a Christmas present for me.

RKB 10-04-2019 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobski (Post 143098)

Not quite unique, the Ithaca Model 37 is still made and IMHO, it is a better gun.

bobski 10-05-2019 09:45 AM

both are in the unique catagory.

packrat 10-05-2019 10:07 AM

Fall is good time to be looking for a shotgun, lots of sales out there and on line..Just got a flyer from Cabelas/Bass pro shops they have a big sale right now.

Masterchither 10-05-2019 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packrat (Post 143114)
Fall is good time to be looking for a shotgun, lots of sales out there and on line..Just got a flyer from Cabelas/Bass pro shops they have a big sale right now.

I just checked out their site, they do have the BPS field for $529.00. It's only states 4 for capacity I assume 4 +1. Is that enough rounds to have for a shot gun?

oneounceload 10-06-2019 08:48 AM

For what use? In many hunting scenarios, you can't have more than 3 total in the gun. Most scenarios typically only need 2 in the gun (unless you're in Argentina shooting dove!)

Masterchither 10-06-2019 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneounceload (Post 143130)
For what use? In many hunting scenarios, you can't have more than 3 total in the gun. Most scenarios typically only need 2 in the gun (unless you're in Argentina shooting dove!)

The only thoughts that run in my mind are for Home Defense. But for skeet I am sure that would be fine.

Thank you for the question

RKB 10-06-2019 05:50 PM

For HD, it is highly unlikely that you would need (or have time to use) more than five shots with a shotgun.

Masterchither 10-06-2019 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKB (Post 143142)
For HD, it is highly unlikely that you would need (or have time to use) more than five shots with a shotgun.

True, thinking how or why anyone would be still advancing towards someone after that first blast of a 12 gauge after the first shot, wouldn't make too much sense.

RKB 10-07-2019 09:47 PM

Likely they would be DRT (dead right there) after the first shot. Survivors will be beating feet in the opposite direction in most cases. Do NOT shoot one of them in the back, that turns you into the aggressor, and criminally liable for damages.

PumpTimes7 10-10-2019 08:02 AM

Masterchither, When I got my first s/g I was also a very green, green-horn. At that time, I had only shot my SIL's Benelli semi-auto 12-ga. Based on his suggestion for HD usage, I got a Benelli Nova Tactical 12-ga Pump.
https://www.benelliusa.com/nova-tactical-shotgun

There are two models listed at this link. One has ghost ring sights (which I had), and the other has open rifle sights. Both have 18.5" barrels, a capacity of 4+1, and fixed cylinder choke.

I'd like to highlight why I'm suggesting this s/g to you. For me and my SIL also, this is a very dependable, problem-free, easy-to-operate firearm. :) I had zero chambering, ejection, shooting problems with it. I wish I had never let mine leave the gun cabinet. If I were to get another s/g, I'd get the same model 20051.

Just a 2-cent suggestion.

Best as you "hunt" for your first shotgun.
PumpTimes7

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterchither (Post 142942)

Semper Fi

Jamese 10-10-2019 06:21 PM

Welcome to clay target sports, Masterchither.
Don't know your budget but based on what you said, you may consider a Benelli Montefeltro or Super 90, or Beretta. Benelli is an inertial action and shoots cleaner than gas guns, so easier to clean. I have had mine for years so I don't know the costs.
Any promo 12ga. ammo will work to start. Winchester, Remington, Federal, Estate, etc.
Whatever loads skeet shooters use.
Have at it. :) :)

P.S. You can buy an extra 18" bbl for HD that takes about 30 sec. to change.

\\

RKB 10-10-2019 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PumpTimes7 (Post 143196)
Masterchither, When I got my first s/g I was also a very green, green-horn. At that time, I had only shot my SIL's Benelli semi-auto 12-ga. Based on his suggestion for HD usage, I got a Benelli Nova Tactical 12-ga Pump.
https://www.benelliusa.com/nova-tactical-shotgun

There are two models listed at this link. One has ghost ring sights (which I had), and the other has open rifle sights. Both have 18.5" barrels, a capacity of 4+1, and fixed cylinder choke.

I'd like to highlight why I'm suggesting this s/g to you. For me and my SIL also, this is a very dependable, problem-free, easy-to-operate firearm. :) I had zero chambering, ejection, shooting problems with it. I wish I had never let mine leave the gun cabinet. If I were to get another s/g, I'd get the same model 20051.

Just a 2-cent suggestion.

PumpTimes7

PumpTimes7 - Glad to see you here again, friend! Stick around and have some fun!

Masterchither 10-11-2019 08:24 PM

Quote:

Based on his suggestion for HD usage, I got a Benelli Nova Tactical 12-ga Pump.

There are two models listed at this link. One has ghost ring sights (which I had), and the other has open rifle sights. Both have 18.5" barrels, a capacity of 4+1, and fixed cylinder choke.PumpTimes7

Quote:

If I were to get another s/g, I'd get the same model 20051.

PumpTimes7

Thank you! And sounds like the forum has missed you! I checked out the link, OMG it looks solid. Question for you, the ghost sights. That's makes it easier to target?

And welcome back!

Masterchither 10-11-2019 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamese (Post 143206)
Welcome to clay target sports,

Thank you for the Welcome!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamese (Post 143206)
Don't know your budget but based on what you said, you may consider a Benelli Montefeltro or Super 90, or Beretta. Benelli is an inertial action and shoots cleaner than gas guns, so easier to clean. P.S. You can buy an extra 18" bbl for HD that takes about 30 sec. to change.\\

I am putting my budget under $1,000.00. I want something solid, reliable, and won't foul up when I need it. I took a quick look at the Nova, it looks sweet. And I have been watching the BPS Field, if I had not been moving soon I'd already have it. It's a GOOD thing I have a little time. I will take a look at those Benelli's.

Thank you!

PumpTimes7 10-13-2019 08:52 PM

Masterchither,

Thanks for your comment.

Sights and eyes are pretty much unique to every person. The ghost sights configuration on my Benelli Pump were the best sights I had on any long gun. For me, they made it very easy to get on target. With great regret, this is the shotgun I let get away from my gun cabinet.

Rather than sharing details about me using these sights, it is simpler to send you back to 2014 when I posted some great shooting fun I had over two summers. It's all in this one Range Report thread, and I hope you find it interesting: https://www.shotgunforums.com/forums...led-slugs.html

If you have any further questions about this model Benelli Pump, I'll be glad to chat. Using long gun sights has always been a particular challenge I have faced. This 12-gauge minimized those challenges to a good extent. BTW, I gave it the name "Boom.":)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterchither (Post 143278)
Thank you! And sounds like the forum has missed you! I checked out the link, OMG it looks solid. Question for you, the ghost sights. That's makes it easier to target?

And welcome back!