When you first start looking - Page 3 - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

When you first start looking

This is a discussion on When you first start looking within the Shotgun Talk forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; Originally Posted by packrat Fall is good time to be looking for a shotgun, lots of sales out there and on line..Just got a flyer ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Talk

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2019, 08:33 PM   #21

Member #16580
Originally Posted by packrat View Post
Fall is good time to be looking for a shotgun, lots of sales out there and on line..Just got a flyer from Cabelas/Bass pro shops they have a big sale right now.
I just checked out their site, they do have the BPS field for $529.00. It's only states 4 for capacity I assume 4 +1. Is that enough rounds to have for a shot gun?

XD Mod 2 9mm 4" service model

Alien Gear ShapeShift 4.0 IWB Holster
Masterchither is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-06-2019, 07:48 AM   #22
Super Moderator

Member #1368
For what use? In many hunting scenarios, you can't have more than 3 total in the gun. Most scenarios typically only need 2 in the gun (unless you're in Argentina shooting dove!)
ďLife should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!Ē
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:19 AM   #23

Member #16580
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
For what use? In many hunting scenarios, you can't have more than 3 total in the gun. Most scenarios typically only need 2 in the gun (unless you're in Argentina shooting dove!)
The only thoughts that run in my mind are for Home Defense. But for skeet I am sure that would be fine.

Thank you for the question

Old 10-06-2019, 04:50 PM   #24
RKB

Member #2031
For HD, it is highly unlikely that you would need (or have time to use) more than five shots with a shotgun.
RKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:37 PM   #25

Member #16580
Originally Posted by RKB View Post
For HD, it is highly unlikely that you would need (or have time to use) more than five shots with a shotgun.
True, thinking how or why anyone would be still advancing towards someone after that first blast of a 12 gauge after the first shot, wouldn't make too much sense.
RKB likes this.

Old 10-07-2019, 08:47 PM   #26
RKB

Member #2031
Likely they would be DRT (dead right there) after the first shot. Survivors will be beating feet in the opposite direction in most cases. Do NOT shoot one of them in the back, that turns you into the aggressor, and criminally liable for damages.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:02 AM   #27

Member #2836
Masterchither, When I got my first s/g I was also a very green, green-horn. At that time, I had only shot my SIL's Benelli semi-auto 12-ga. Based on his suggestion for HD usage, I got a Benelli Nova Tactical 12-ga Pump.
https://www.benelliusa.com/nova-tactical-shotgun

There are two models listed at this link. One has ghost ring sights (which I had), and the other has open rifle sights. Both have 18.5" barrels, a capacity of 4+1, and fixed cylinder choke.

I'd like to highlight why I'm suggesting this s/g to you. For me and my SIL also, this is a very dependable, problem-free, easy-to-operate firearm. I had zero chambering, ejection, shooting problems with it. I wish I had never let mine leave the gun cabinet. If I were to get another s/g, I'd get the same model 20051.

Just a 2-cent suggestion.

Best as you "hunt" for your first shotgun.
PumpTimes7

Originally Posted by Masterchither View Post
I am a green horn when it comes to shotguns, I have never owned one but I have fired a few here and there. Since I have never owned a shotgun, and I plan to buy one soon. I won't make my first post with what's a better this shotgun vs the other brand/model. I do need to do some homework. However, my question would be what to look for or not look for when selecting one.

I am interest in a pump action, 12 gauge, modified choke I assume, and something that is not going to jam up easy.

If I do an internet search for best pump shot gun, it always comes up with the 870 express or Mossberg 500. OMG how many variations of both of them are there. Beside I am sure there are tons of good manufactures out there, so I canít stay narrow minded.

I donít want a shotgun with known issues, like extractor problems. Comparing to what I understand with pistols, I donítí know if shotguns stovepipe? I keep hearing about issues with the 870's but have no idea what they are.

If anyone has a great link to share, I could do some reading.

Semper Fi
Masterchither likes this.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:21 PM   #28

Member #15194
Welcome to clay target sports, Masterchither.
Don't know your budget but based on what you said, you may consider a Benelli Montefeltro or Super 90, or Beretta. Benelli is an inertial action and shoots cleaner than gas guns, so easier to clean. I have had mine for years so I don't know the costs.
Any promo 12ga. ammo will work to start. Winchester, Remington, Federal, Estate, etc.
Whatever loads skeet shooters use.
Have at it.

P.S. You can buy an extra 18" bbl for HD that takes about 30 sec. to change.

\\

Last edited by Jamese; 10-10-2019 at 05:41 PM. Reason: grammer due to new laptop
Jamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:26 PM   #29
RKB

Member #2031
Originally Posted by PumpTimes7 View Post
Masterchither, When I got my first s/g I was also a very green, green-horn. At that time, I had only shot my SIL's Benelli semi-auto 12-ga. Based on his suggestion for HD usage, I got a Benelli Nova Tactical 12-ga Pump.
https://www.benelliusa.com/nova-tactical-shotgun

There are two models listed at this link. One has ghost ring sights (which I had), and the other has open rifle sights. Both have 18.5" barrels, a capacity of 4+1, and fixed cylinder choke.

I'd like to highlight why I'm suggesting this s/g to you. For me and my SIL also, this is a very dependable, problem-free, easy-to-operate firearm. I had zero chambering, ejection, shooting problems with it. I wish I had never let mine leave the gun cabinet. If I were to get another s/g, I'd get the same model 20051.

Just a 2-cent suggestion.

PumpTimes7
PumpTimes7 - Glad to see you here again, friend! Stick around and have some fun!
PumpTimes7 likes this.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:24 PM   #30

Member #16580
Based on his suggestion for HD usage, I got a Benelli Nova Tactical 12-ga Pump.

There are two models listed at this link. One has ghost ring sights (which I had), and the other has open rifle sights. Both have 18.5" barrels, a capacity of 4+1, and fixed cylinder choke.PumpTimes7
If I were to get another s/g, I'd get the same model 20051.

PumpTimes7
Thank you! And sounds like the forum has missed you! I checked out the link, OMG it looks solid. Question for you, the ghost sights. That's makes it easier to target?

And welcome back!