choke question - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

choke question

This is a discussion on choke question within the Shotgun Talk forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; the used Citori I just bought came with flush full, improved cylinder, & modified chokes. also included were 2 Nuline extended .725 skeet chokes. since ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2019, 11:11 AM   #1

Member #16326
choke question

the used Citori I just bought came with flush full, improved cylinder, & modified chokes. also included were 2 Nuline extended .725 skeet chokes. since i'll primarily be using this gun for S.C. & trap i'm thinking this has me pretty well covered choke wise eh? would an improved modified be worth considering? Midwest gun works has browning std. invector chokes for 21.29 so it's not a lot of money.
rober is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-12-2019, 07:54 PM   #2
RKB

Member #2031
I don't shoot registered/tournament Sporting, but most all courses that I have shot were well-covered by IC/MOD. However, for that price, you can cover all bases without going broke.
RKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:16 AM   #3

Member #6849
IC and LT Mod will give you good service on most courses. Extended chokes are easier to change.
Aldo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2019, 08:39 AM   #4

Member #16326
after all the reading I've done on these forums ( & it's been a lot ) I plan to get an E.F. & an I.M.. I just picked a new Briley flush C. on ebay for 13.95. I'm going to try an I.M. & F. for S.C. & trap ( after hitting the pattern range ) & see how that goes & make adjustments from there. I checked the browning site they do not offer E.F., LT.M., or I.M.. Briley does & their flush tubes are 24.95. this isn't urgent so i'll watch ebay for awhile.

Last edited by rober; 08-13-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:05 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Just make sure your Browning uses the right choke system. There is Invector and Invector Plus and the two are not interchangeable. My Brownings from 1994 use the Invector Plus
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:15 PM   #6

Member #16326
thanks one ounce. I am aware of the differences & have double checked with any sellers before I bought. I ran into the same thing in Sparta at the trap shoot with Remington. another shooter pointed out differences in Remington chokes or i'd have gone home with the wrong chokes. the chokes i'm looking at on the Briley site are browning standard invector chokes. I think they might interchange with some Winchester models as well.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:34 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Member #1368
There ya go. Now, remember, just because a choke is labeled as one thing does not necessarily mean it will pattern like that. A lot will depend on the ammo used and your gun. While not as persnickity as metallic, certain guns do tend to show a fondness for one brand or load over another so buy a box of several types and try them out. And remember, YOUR gun ,might just love some chgap stuff over the high priced stuff while someone else's gun of the same maker might not so go with what WORKS in your gun. Our advice can give you a good starting point but until you try them all on your gun, you won't know what's the best
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:17 PM   #8

Member #16326
I do have a variety of shells & will probably be at the pattern range for at least a couple of hours. over time I'll try more shells & go back to the range. thankfully my club is only 11 miles away. the Nu line ext. chokes seem to be a good fit. other than those i'll be sticking browning or Briley flush chokes. I've read where some off brand & even some Carlson chokes are too small for the barrel & the loose fit can destroy a barrel.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:09 AM   #9

Member #14924
I have some extended and some flush chokes I find the flush chokes stay tight and the extended chokes seem to loosen more often. Checking choke tightness is more important than most new shooters neglect. Just watch all the extended choke shooters always checking that they are not loose. Just my thoughts but my extended do get loose and flush very rarely
Dead Last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:22 AM   #10

Member #16326
I've only shot a round of 5 stand with this gun & I used the extended chokes & they did need tightening during the match. the club has a trap shoot this weekend so i'll be shooting full & mod.
what about Carlson chokes? are those of you who use them happy with them? I found a Carlson extra full choke for 19.00.