choke question - Page 2 - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

choke question

This is a discussion on choke question within the Shotgun Talk forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; Use grease or never seize and they should stay snug. On an 1100 in 28 gauge, the threads were very wide and shallow; every 5 ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Talk

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2019, 11:36 AM   #11
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Use grease or never seize and they should stay snug. On an 1100 in 28 gauge, the threads were very wide and shallow; every 5 shots, the tube was coming out. Only thing that worked was white teflon plumber's tape.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-16-2019, 02:49 PM   #12

Member #16326
i just changed chokes for tomorrow & used some moly paste until I can pick up some proper grease. both types of anti seize compounds I have on hand are really messy.
rober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:54 PM   #13

Member #6849
Carlson makes a good choke. I would have no reservations about a Carlson purchase.
RKB likes this.
Aldo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2019, 07:10 PM   #14
RKB

Member #2031
Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
Carlson makes a good choke. I would have no reservations about a Carlson purchase.
+1. I have Carlson's and like them. The high-dollar chokes IMO are nothing but marketing hype, designed to separate you from your hard-earned dollars. I can afford them but the question is why I would spend extra for them. Chokes do not break targets. Trigger actuators do.
RKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 09:05 PM   #15

Member #16080
Choke Selection for SCs & Trap

I've never had the MONEY or time to shoot as much SCs or Trap as I've wished. Regardless where I shoot, whether the Dallas-Ft Worth area or San Antonio, TX, my pickup truck will be the oldest in the parking lot; my shotgun the oldest; and my clothing - definitely not the latest style or fashion. Once upon a time, I had an O/U shotgun with chokes tubes, but found it to be a big pain you know where trying to remember which choke to use where. Keeping a 'loose' record of my Upland Bird hunts, trips to the pattern board, scores at SCs and Trap, which shells and loads were used, I have finally decided that my favorite all-around, all-time chokes are the Modified [1ST SHOT] and Improved Cylinder [2ND SHOT]. At SCs, I no longer waste time changing out the choke tubes; but watch the flight pattern of the clays. [Or looking for re-loadable hulls.] I honestly do not think I shoot any better or worse than when I was swapping out tubes. Give it a try. What do you have to lose except for a few birds ?
whome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 03:49 AM   #16

Member #16326
I'm not in the habit of changing chokes at a match. what i'm doing is trying different chokes & loads to find what works for this gun & for me.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:25 AM   #17

Member #5570
Originally Posted by whome View Post
Keeping a 'loose' record of my Upland Bird hunts, trips to the pattern board, scores at SCs and Trap, which shells and loads were used, I have finally decided that my favorite all-around, all-time chokes are the Modified [1ST SHOT] and Improved Cylinder [2ND SHOT]. you have to lose
So you're saying you shoot the longer range choke first, then the shorter range choke?

Are your targets all incomers?
octanejunkie likes this.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:01 AM   #18

Member #16326
shooting an O/U is all new to me. i'm trying things shooters on this forum wrote about & shooters at my club advised. I shot 5 stand with the 2 extended skeet chokes that were in the gun when I bought it. I was hitting fair to middlin'. the next outing was a trap shoot & I tried a full & mod combo shooting the full 2nd. It wasn't pretty but i'm sure it was me & had nothing to do with the gun or the chokes. I have a mild case of Tourette syndrome. thankfully I do not walk around screaming profanities but I do have a lot of tics. they vary as to how they manifest & get worse if i'm stressed. on a bad day I can literally wear a hole in a sock in a day from wiggling a toe. so- I sometimes have to time pulling the trigger in between tics.
when I was shooting my 20 gauge S.A. I was averaging 65 in S.C.. this was shooting twice a year cold with no practice in between.
i'm probably overthinking this & should just relax & shoot.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:39 AM   #19
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Went to a registered tournament yesterday. Started out with LM/M but went to IC/LM for most of the station except for 2 where they wer incoming in your face where I went to SK/SK. Even the M class folks I shot with were changing and I know they RARELY do so
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:00 AM   #20

Member #16516
Congrats on your new to you Citori. Make sure the gun fits you well before worrying about chokes too much. My scores/hits improved once I had my gun fitted to me. Every shotgun I get goes in for fitting.

FWIW I run Carlson chokes in 2 of my shotguns. They work.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
octanejunkie is online now   Reply With Quote