Looking for a new shotgun - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Looking for a new shotgun

This is a discussion on Looking for a new shotgun within the Shotgun Talk forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; Let’s here your picks. If you had $5000ish to spend on a new trap / sporting clays gun what would you buy?...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Talk

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2019, 08:22 AM   #1

Member #16246
Looking for a new shotgun

Let’s here your picks. If you had $5000ish to spend on a new trap / sporting clays gun what would you buy?
Inlinepwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-17-2019, 07:11 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Welcome!

What's the main use - trap or sporting? Two different games that typically utilize two different styles of guns.
So, that being said, with $5K, I'd get two - one for trap and one for sporting. That would put me in the Browning/Beretta arenas to stay within budget.
Otherwise, $5K gets in you into CG territory, used Blazer and Zoli territory, and older (much) used Perazzi territory.

What guns have you shot? Try to borrow as many brands from friends at your local clubs and see what fits you and what you shoot the best.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:48 AM   #3

Member #16246
I mostly shoot trap but also shoot sporting clays and a little skeet so looking for an all around over under. I have two berettas a silver pigeon and 692 black edition I absolutely love both guns but The 692 is plagued with the breaking of the top tang screw (3 times in a year and a half) as well as the carbon fiber rib being replaced twice. I was thinking about upgrading the 692 but not sure what direction to go.i would like to get another 692 black but don’t trust that it will stay together.
Inlinepwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2019, 05:36 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Member #1368
If the Berettas fit you better than a Browning, stay with them. Unfortunately, to go higher end, that means a used DT-10 or DT-11 and they will most likely be north of $5K.

Of course you could take your Beretta SP and gussy it up with a custom fitted stock.......
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:24 PM   #5
RKB

Member #2031
Originally Posted by Inlinepwr View Post
I mostly shoot trap but also shoot sporting clays and a little skeet so looking for an all around over under. I have two berettas a silver pigeon and 692 black edition I absolutely love both guns but The 692 is plagued with the breaking of the top tang screw (3 times in a year and a half) as well as the carbon fiber rib being replaced twice. I was thinking about upgrading the 692 but not sure what direction to go.i would like to get another 692 black but don’t trust that it will stay together.
No one gun will excel at all clay target games for any individual. Pick your favorite game and tailor your gun to that - then if you want to shoot the other games with it, be willing to accept that it will not do quite as well at them.
It's all good, just shoot and have fun!
RKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:21 PM   #6

Member #8874
Berettas for some reason just don't fit me as well as Brownings. I shoot a 725 trap for trap and sporting clays. I also have a sporting clays gun, but the trap gun does better for all my shooting . YMMV. Too bad you don't like the 692. I believe they came out with an unsingle with adjustable comb and adjustable rib. I think they are about $4375. They also Make an Onyx combo I've seen as low as $4350 . I find that Onyx to be very good looking. I have shouldered one and with the O/U it has very nice balance. I never held the unsingle. The unsingle is very nice if Trap is your primary game. I think that is a lot of gun for the money.

Jeff
BadaBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 04:29 PM   #7

Member #14089
I just purchased a Browning Citori 725 Trap Max that was just below $5K. I drove from Cheyenne, WY to Omaha, NE (1000 miles round trip) to visit Guns Unlimited to see and then purchase the shotgun. The price was just short of $5K. Was it worth it? Time will tell. https://www.browning.com/products/fi...-trap-max.html
The features: Adjustable rib allows for point of impact adjustment - 50/50 — 90/10, Graco Adjustable Monte Carlo Comb makes it easy to dial in bead alignment, Adjustable GraCoil® Recoil Reduction System increases comfort and offers length of pull adjustment, Graco butt pad plate adjusts for angle and location, Gloss finish, Grade V/VI walnut, semi-beavertail forearm with finger grooves and stock with close radius grip and palm swell, Adjustable rib allows for point of impact adjustment: 50/50 — 90/10, Graco Adjustable Monte Carlo Comb makes it easy to dial in bead alignment, Adjustable GraCoil® Recoil Reduction System increases comfort and offers length of pull adjustment, Graco butt pad plate adjusts for angle and location
Gloss finish, Grade V/VI walnut, semi-beavertail forearm with finger grooves and stock with close radius grip and palm swell Pachmayr® Decelerator® XLT recoil pad, HiViz® Pro Comp sight and ivory mid-bead and Five extended Midas Grade choke tubes included (F, LF, IM, IM, M).
I shoot only trap, so I have no need for a skeet or sporting clays shotgun.
Why did I drive to Omaha you ask? Well I was told by the other trap shooters at the trap range that Guns Unlimited is the best place to buy a shotgun between the Mississippi River and the Rocky Mountains. I was impressed with the number of guns (shotguns, rifles & pistols new and used) available for purchase. Yes, I could have called and had a gun shipped, but I wanted to see the facility and determine which shotgun I wanted to buy.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:30 PM   #8

Member #8874
Congratulations! I have the 725 Trap hi rib model. I wish it had an adjustable rib with montecarlo style stock. It wasn’t available when I bought mine. Nice !

Jeff
BadaBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:11 AM   #9

Member #16306
Hi, I have just joined the shotgun forum. My handle is Rasher. I use a Beretta So6 32" with a set of 4 barrels. I mainly shot Fitasc and sporting clays.

Kind regards

Rasher

From the United Kingdom.
oneounceload and RKB like this.

Last edited by Rasher; 07-08-2019 at 09:15 AM.
Rasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:33 PM   #10
RKB

Member #2031
Welcome aboard, Rasher!
RKB is offline   Reply With Quote