Cleaning from factory advice - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Cleaning from factory advice

This is a discussion on Cleaning from factory advice within the Shotgun Talk forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; Hello folks, New member here. I recently bought a Mossberg 590a1 tactical and I was wondering what I should use to clean it from the ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Talk

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2019, 02:54 PM   #1

Member #16188
Cleaning from factory advice

Hello folks,

New member here. I recently bought a Mossberg 590a1 tactical and I was wondering what I should use to clean it from the factory.

I have, at my disposal, Hoppe's #9, Rem Oil, Rem Action Cleaner and CLP.

Will any of these work well? Do I need to put Hoppe's on after the cleaning?

I have watched videos to know what parts to oil after I make my choice... I think.

P.S.- I did a search for 'cleaning', 'factory', 'oil', etc. and it didn't yield any useful results so now I made this
frogger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-27-2019, 05:32 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #1368
CLP will work for cleaning - remember the inside of the mag tube as well; then follow the instruction manual for lubrication type and locations.
Mad Murdock likes this.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:14 AM   #3

Member #16188
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
CLP will work for cleaning - remember the inside of the mag tube as well; then follow the instruction manual for lubrication type and locations.
Thank you!

I've heard CLP is popular because it coats with oil at the same time it cleans? Do you have any experience with this or is it just my misunderstanding its purpose?
frogger77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2019, 09:05 AM   #4
RKB

Member #2031
CLP - Cleaner, Lubricant, Protectant. It does a good job at all three.
RKB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:11 AM   #5

Member #5570
All of your chemicals will work fine for your intended purpose, which is cleaning and lubing your shotgun.

I've used all of them off and on for years, some for over 60 years with no problems.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:09 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Originally Posted by RKB View Post
CLP - Cleaner, Lubricant, Protectant. It does a good job at all three.
Personally I think it does an ~ok~ job at all three. There are better cleaners, better lubricants and better protectants - but they are all individual products that can get expensive or are homemade, like Ed's Red, Mobil 1 and Boeshield
RKB likes this.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:56 AM   #7

Member #5570
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
Personally I think it does an ~ok~ job at all three. There are better cleaners, better lubricants and better protectants - but they are all individual products that can get expensive or are homemade, like Ed's Red, Mobil 1 and Boeshield
That's been my experience also. Having said that, I do use it from time to time but mostly on guns that I shoot every week or so.
RKB likes this.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:08 PM   #8
RKB

Member #2031
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
That's been my experience also. Having said that, I do use it from time to time but mostly on guns that I shoot every week or so.
Yeah, I should requalify my statement. I don't use it for long-term storage, just day-to-day use.
RKB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 05:18 AM   #9

Member #4993
As a buddy who worked at wd-40 corporate explained to me: imagine a scale with one side black (penetrating/cleaning oils) and one side white (lubricating grease) and a gray gradient between. More it cleans and penetrates, the less it lubes and faster it evaporates. You have to find the right shade of gray for your application.

"the loudest sound in the world is a click when you expect a bang, or a bang when you expect a click"
oneounceload likes this.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:06 AM   #10

Member #9953
Originally Posted by Mad Murdock View Post
As a buddy who worked at wd-40 corporate explained to me: imagine a scale with one side black (penetrating/cleaning oils) and one side white (lubricating grease) and a gray gradient between. More it cleans and penetrates, the less it lubes and faster it evaporates. You have to find the right shade of gray for your application.

"the loudest sound in the world is a click when you expect a bang, or a bang when you expect a click"
And never use WD-40 to clean or lubricate a firearm.
Hard H2O is offline   Reply With Quote