My basic three shotguns - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

My basic three shotguns

This is a discussion on My basic three shotguns within the Shotgun Talk forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; I have a matching set of 1960 Browning A-5's: I have the original receipts from 1960. I inherited them. My Remington Model 870 is shown ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Talk

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By oneounceload
  • 1 Post By red ryder
  • 1 Post By Vintage Racer
  • 1 Post By OU12/20

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2019, 05:44 PM   #1

Member #125
My basic three shotguns

I have a matching set of 1960 Browning A-5's:

I have the original receipts from 1960. I inherited them.

My Remington Model 870 is shown here.

These three shotguns are really good when shooting birds or just protecting my family.
Remove Ads
Old 05-23-2019, 07:52 PM   #2

Member #125
I think that I have the 12 gauge and 20 covered. I'd like a .410 shotgun to complete my collection
------
I saw a 20 gauge Mossberg 590 20 gauge on sale for $299. What is not to like about this?

Attached Thumbnails
My basic three shotguns-shockwave.jpg  

Last edited by Vintage Racer; 10-16-2020 at 04:08 PM.
Vintage Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:52 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Member #1368
The recoil is what's not to like about it..............
RKB likes this.
oneounceload is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2019, 07:38 AM   #4

Member #14089
Two additions to my 12 gauge Mossberg Shockwave have made recoil a non-issue.
1. a green dot laser and 2. a Hogue grip. The laser allows me to focus the shotgun away from my face and the Hogue grip further reduces the recoil to a non-factor. I highly recommend both of these modifications. Also keep in mind that the shotgun is IMO a home defense tool. I doubt you would even feel the recoil if you used it on an intruder in the middle of the night. I hope I never find out.

Last edited by red ryder; 10-15-2020 at 05:51 PM.
red ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 05:37 PM   #5

Member #4244
Originally Posted by red ryder View Post
Two additions to my 12 gauge Mossberg Shockwave have made recoil a non-issue.
1. a green dot laser and 2. a Hogue grip. The laser allows me to focus the shotgun away from my face and the Hogue grip further reduces the recoil to a non-factor. I highly recommend both of these modifications. Also keep in mind that the shotgun is IMO a home defense tool. I doubt you would even feel the recoil if you used it on an intruder in the middle of the night. I hope I never find out.

This is an old post, but I think Its worth noting in case anyone finds this post, that a Hogue grip likely changes the overall length of the Shockwave to make it not legal length for its federal classification of "Firearm", with is I believe 26" minimum overall length. The existence of the Shockwave in its factory form and barrel length (14") is dependent on the Raptor grip that came on it making it meet the legal length, changing the grip and thus the overall length may change the federal legal status of the gun and require registering as a short barrel shotgun.

Back on topic, I shot one, a 12 ga, about 10 rounds of birdshot, it was a non-event. Ages ago I had a single barrel shotgun cut to minimum length and stock mostly removed , holding it out so I could see the barrel and front sight, it wasnt difficult to hit cans thrown in the air, nor was recoil very bad, same for the Shockwave. Use the forward hand to push, rear grip to pull, the recoil moves your arms, no big deal if held away from the face. Clint Smith/Thunder Ranch does a decent short youtube video of using the shockwave properly. Its just not a big deal to shoot, though I probably wouldnt want to shoot one all day. For reference, I have a shoulder and back injury and cant shoot a regular shoulder fired shotgun without great pain, though the 410 insert tubes arent bad.

For reference, many others have noted that the shockwave seems to shoot high, which I also found. It hits about a foot above where I expected at around 10-15 yards. I think they are a useful tool, though a narrow niche tool. I think they would be dandy as a snake gun if one was inclined to carry or use a snake gun. In a house or vehicle or camper they are short enough to be easily packed along and maneuverable. The lack of stock actually makes it more useful to me than a stocked shotgun because of my shoulder injury.

Last edited by Malamute; 10-15-2020 at 05:40 PM.
Malamute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 05:48 PM   #6

Member #14089
Here's pictures of my Mossberg Shockwave with the Hogue grip, it is the same length as w/o the grip. Also picture of just the grip.

Malamute likes this.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:07 PM   #7

Member #4244
Ah, thank you for posting the pictures, the older one was gone. I searched hogue grip for Mossberg and it showed a common style pistol grip. I didnt realize it was the grip sleeve.
Malamute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:12 PM   #8

Member #125
I say the Remington 870 is a great gun.
oneounceload likes this.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:13 AM   #9

Member #1887
Don't have any picture's but do have 6 shotgun's, I think. 410, one 28 and a 16ga are AyA Matadors. Then a 28 and 20ga CZ and a 16ga Ithica mod 37! As a general rule I only shoot one at a time but when I go out hunting, no enough anymore, I always take two guns! That means 6 divided by 2 is three. I knew it was only three! Now the parcular part of this is, For huns on down I use either the 28's or the 410. Grouse the CZ 28 has a 26" barrel and I like it. Haaven't hunted pheasant in years but if I didI'd take along the 20ga and 16ga AyA. Gave up on water fowl many years ago but never know, might do it again someday so can't let go of the Mod 37.
Don Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:59 PM   #10

Member #17580
Emergency Close work a Baikal 12 sxs 20" #2's

and yes it will disable a refrigerator via through another wall .

Had a close friend whom had a problem ,lent it too him . Problem solved but Fridge suffered catastrophic damage
RKB likes this.
OU12/20 is offline   Reply With Quote