Low position or pre-mount - Page 3 - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Low position or pre-mount

This is a discussion on Low position or pre-mount within the Shotgun Talk forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; With shotguns - both eyes OPEN, always. Trap - pre-mount. Skeet - I'm better when I don't pre-mount - have no idea as to why. ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Talk

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2019, 04:51 PM   #21

Member #16080
With shotguns - both eyes OPEN, always. Trap - pre-mount. Skeet - I'm better when I don't pre-mount - have no idea as to why. Country Doubles - 1/2 pre-mount. Sporting Clays - depends on how I'm shooting that day.
whome is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-14-2019, 05:03 PM   #22
Super Moderator

Member #148
1 procedure for all 3 sports?
you want to do low gun for trap?
really?
Flash likes this.
Skeet & Trap Range Owner
bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:39 PM   #23

Member #7361
Since I have been shooting more 5 stand and sporting clays my skeet game has gone away holding premounted. I can actually shoot skeet right now holding low gun like the international guys better since I shoot low gun for 5stand and SC I see the birds better holding low gun. I can tell you hold point is very import for low gun.you need to find it for you
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2019, 08:22 AM   #24

Member #15702
When I premount I have a hard time picking up the target. After I find the hold point my old eyes just don't bend around like I would like. I'm hoping glasses are going to help.
Tucker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:15 PM   #25
Super Moderator

Member #148
mount your gun, lift your head but keep the butt on your shoulder.
Mad Murdock likes this.
Skeet & Trap Range Owner
bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:00 PM   #26
RKB

Member #2031
^^^ That is how I usually do sporting, but on a familiar course I'll often start from high-ready. Skeet - always low gun. Trying to shoot a pre-mounted sxs at skeet is begging for a low bird to hide under your barrels.
Trap, pre-mount, but I seldom do trap anymore.

Last edited by RKB; 04-16-2019 at 05:03 PM.
RKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:14 PM   #27

Member #4993
Depends on the course for me. If its challenging, I premount but raise my head. If it's a course or station I do okay at, I do a low ready. If it's a station I usually nail, low gun and I'll even dis and re-mount between shots on the pair. I only shoot 5 stand or sporting clays so I cant speak to trap or skeet.

"the loudest sound in the world is a click when you expect a bang, or a bang when you expect a click"
one eyed shooter likes this.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:21 PM   #28

Member #16088
Smile Mounts

Well I am sure this will bring a good laugh from the experts here, but in shooting informal clays, which is pretty much what I do I hold the gun as I would walking through the woods or afield. When the clay leaves the trap I mount the gun while pushing the safety off. This form has worked a bunch of years for me, as I would never walk through the woods or feild with my safety off and gun mounted. Any and all shooting I do is with hunting in mind-- just the way I am.
The Happy Kaboomer likes this.
TUSKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:32 AM   #29
Super Moderator

Member #1368
And if that works for you, then stick with it. Personally, while afield, my safety is off - either the gun is broken open while the dogs work, or it is closed and I am ready for the flush.

For clay targets, no safety needed - either you are in the stand ready to shoot, gun pointed safely, or the gun is in the rack unloaded.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:39 AM   #30

Member #15702
Since I started this thread, the biggest change I've made is getting glasses. I couldn't pick up the target in time. With glasses I still have my best luck at low hold. I find acquiring the target and determining the lead is the hard part. Mounting the gun and inserting it at the break point is mechanical and can be practiced in my basement. That's just me though. I'm amazed at the many different methods shooters use. I don't think it matters, the score card doesn't care how it's done.
Tucker99 is offline   Reply With Quote