Low position or pre-mount - Page 2 - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Low position or pre-mount

This is a discussion on Low position or pre-mount within the Shotgun Talk forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; Originally Posted by The Happy Kaboomer I shoot all guns with both eyes open.........If you close one half your world goes dark. I shoot trap ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Talk

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2019, 04:09 PM   #11

Member #9178
Originally Posted by The Happy Kaboomer View Post
I shoot all guns with both eyes open.........If you close one half your world goes dark.
I shoot trap better with just one eye and Sporting Clay's with both eyes.
I can not explain it but that is the way it is.
My wife shoots the same way.
I spent 5 years in the US military and shot pistols and rifles with one eye.
My wife never shot any type of firearm until she was 65 years old.
I can not explain our methods but we do enjoy trap and sporting clay's.
Like golf and baseball there is not only one way to "hit the target"
Just sayin'
BTW I have terrible depth perception with 2 eyes... Maybe that has something to do with the way I shoot.
RKB likes this.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:29 PM   #12

Member #15712
Trap - I pre-mount

Sporting Clays - Low gun

Skeet - Low gun
SanRemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:48 AM   #13
Super Moderator

Member #1368
There's easy and there's what works for you personally. (and for FITASC and IS skeet, what's legal)
For skeet (since I only shoot it for bird practice), I shoot hunting-ready low gun
For Sporting I shoot what is called a soft mount or cheat mount where the gun is just slightly off the shoulder
For FITASC, it is mandatory low gun, 25cm down from your shoulder
IS Skeet is stock on your hip
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2019, 08:46 AM   #14

Member #15702
I don't know how you guys can do both mounts. Hard enough getting 1-right. In any position you have about 1-second to break point, regardless of the sport, correct?
Tucker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:26 AM   #15

Member #9178
Originally Posted by Tucker99 View Post
I don't know how you guys can do both mounts. Hard enough getting 1-right. In any position you have about 1-second to break point, regardless of the sport, correct?
I understand what you are saying but in some games it is the rules and you just learn to adapt. I once asked the same question of an instructor I was shooting with and she explained it like this... "most targets are flying between 35-45 mph. The shot coming out of the gun is traveling at about 1200 fps. There is no way that target can out distance the string of shot"
Old 01-18-2019, 10:59 AM   #16
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Not always; many sporting and FITASC targets can have several seconds before they are either in view or in range.
If your gun truly fits, then using a low mount is no big deal. If you have to scrunch your head down or do some form of gymnastics to get the right sight picture, get your stock fitted to you.
I actually do better using a low gun FITASC mount on everything except close fast rabbits as I am more relaxed and get a better visual on the target.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:59 PM   #17

Member #15640
I am all low gun except going pre-mount DTL trap. Grew up in Germany and shot low gun mount trap and skeet for all my life. Clays didn't exist back then! Check out "Jagdliches Schießen" on you tube. Hunters Combination 15 trap 15 skeet and 4 rifle targets.
RKB likes this.
Alex D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:40 AM   #18

Member #5570
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
Not always; many sporting and FITASC targets can have several seconds before they are either in view or in range.
If your gun truly fits, then using a low mount is no big deal. If you have to scrunch your head down or do some form of gymnastics to get the right sight picture, get your stock fitted to you.
I actually do better using a low gun FITASC mount on everything except close fast rabbits as I am more relaxed and get a better visual on the target.
My feelings exactly. They have diagrams at the SC field showing where the birds are coming from, but they're not very well done and can be off as much as 50 degrees so you need to be able to see the targets early and that means low gun.

I obviously don't do show birds as I don't want to throw away $4.80/round looking at them and besides, it's more like hunting that way.
oneounceload likes this.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:09 AM   #19

Member #15702
To you low holders. When shooting doubles to you break the mount for the second shot, find the target and re-mount? Or, do you hold the mount, find the second target, and swing to the target?
Tucker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:29 AM   #20

Member #9178
To you low holders. When shooting doubles to you break the mount for the second shot, find the target and re-mount? Or, do you hold the mount, find the second target, and swing to the target?
I dont shoot doubles that often but when I do I won't break the mount. I always try to shoot the target that most resembles a "straight-away" first and then let the recoil take me to the second target.
The straight away target will appear different from station to station.