Turkish made shotguns? - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Turkish made shotguns?

This is a discussion on Turkish made shotguns? within the Shotgun Talk forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; I have been looking at a lot of new shotguns. Used guns are slim pickings around here, so I am looking at brand new. I ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Talk

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2018, 07:37 PM   #1

Member #15292
Turkish made shotguns?

I have been looking at a lot of new shotguns. Used guns are slim pickings around here, so I am looking at brand new. I want a semi-auto brush beater. So far, most of them I am finding are made in Turkey.

How do you all feel about Turkish made firearms, shotguns, in particular?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mnarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-12-2018, 01:52 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #148
the world has changed. was a time when american guns and german or brit guns were best.
today, its a mass marketing theme. companies go anywhere they can get cheap labor.
take it from there.
turk guns.....didnt start out well. some say they are improving. but id prefer to own a gun with a reputation already.....and one with a good resale potential....already.
Skeet & Trap Range Owner
bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:09 PM   #3

Member #15292
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
the world has changed. was a time when american guns and german or brit guns were best.
today, its a mass marketing theme. companies go anywhere they can get cheap labor.
take it from there.
turk guns.....didnt start out well. some say they are improving. but id prefer to own a gun with a reputation already.....and one with a good resale potential....already.

Problem is, the American company has a failing reputation. The other does not make what I want. The rest not made in turkey are more than I want to spend on this project.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mnarcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2018, 04:12 PM   #4
RKB

Member #2031
Most Turkish guns are made to a price point. A US company will contact a Turkish maker, and contract for 20,000 semi-autos, o/u or sxs guns, that have to be sold at (for example) $500 US. The Turk has to make a profit, and the American has to import them and sell them at a profit for themselves. The guns are made so that they meet those sales specs. No way can they be high quality, hand-fitted, etc.
The higher the price goes, the better chance you have of getting a good gun.
One other consideration is warranty/parts availability. The Turk will not be liable for the warranty, the American importer will. If they go under, your warranty is not worth the paper it is printed on, and you have no recourse. Several companies have done this - Charles Daly comes to mind. They imported a lot of very low-grade Turk semi's, most of which broke. Few parts are available and Daly is out of business.
Turkey is quite capable of making world-class guns, also - but they won't sell at discount prices. The labor costs in Turkey are low, but highly skilled workers still demand a premium salary, most anywhere in the world.
With all that said, some of the better Turkish semi's are receiving very high marks on some independent reviews. Look for Randy Wakeman and Chuckhawks reviews. Randy rubs some people the wrong way but he calls them like he sees them, and he is not paid by gun companies to write reviews.
BadaBoom likes this.

Last edited by RKB; 10-12-2018 at 04:24 PM.
RKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:43 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Member #148
i said...usa USE TO be good guns.
winchesters arent even made in usa anymore.
Skeet & Trap Range Owner
bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:04 AM   #6

Member #9178
Originally Posted by RKB View Post
Most Turkish guns are made to a price point. A US company will contact a Turkish maker, and contract for 20,000 semi-autos, o/u or sxs guns, that have to be sold at (for example) $500 US. The Turk has to make a profit, and the American has to import them and sell them at a profit for themselves. The guns are made so that they meet those sales specs. No way can they be high quality, hand-fitted, etc.
The higher the price goes, the better chance you have of getting a good gun.
One other consideration is warranty/parts availability. The Turk will not be liable for the warranty, the American importer will. If they go under, your warranty is not worth the paper it is printed on, and you have no recourse. Several companies have done this - Charles Daly comes to mind. They imported a lot of very low-grade Turk semi's, most of which broke. Few parts are available and Daly is out of business.
Turkey is quite capable of making world-class guns, also - but they won't sell at discount prices. The labor costs in Turkey are low, but highly skilled workers still demand a premium salary, most anywhere in the world.
With all that said, some of the better Turkish semi's are receiving very high marks on some independent reviews. Look for Randy Wakeman and Chuckhawks reviews. Randy rubs some people the wrong way but he calls them like he sees them, and he is not paid by gun companies to write reviews.
RKB has explained the Turkish situation exceptionally well.
As for the slim pickin's on used guns in your area... You might want to search some of the more reputable on line dealers and work through a local dealer on the transfer. I have owned 2 Turkish o/u guns and they served me well. I was able to sell them for just about what I paid for them. There are very few guns that you can recoup the initial cost.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:11 AM   #7

Member #11481
I prefer to buy old C&Rs shotguns, like Ithaca 37, Winchester Model 12, 97, 50 etc. Models that are proven to work, are very tough and if taken with good care, will last for generations. Also, most cost less than new manufactured shotguns.
RKB likes this.
Hquiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:08 AM   #8

Member #6025
I picked up a TriStar 20 ga O/U in a swap a few months back. I've found it to be well made and attractive enough that I'll take it most anywhere. After about 15 rounds of skeet it's working as advertised. While that's not a high enough round count for a review, a new "cheaper" gun working correctly out of the box is still a welcome surprise. At this point, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:44 AM   #9

Member #3376
I have only one Turkish made shotgun. I won the gun , it's a Mossberg Silver reserve ll. I ran a box of shells when I got her on some trap. Gun worked great. I shoot a lot of trap , but I use a Remi 1100 comp that I love. Now I would like to start some sporting clays shooting again. I'm thinking of using the SR ll for that. Or I'm thinking of getting an auto for that, or just shoot the hell out the SR ll till it go's. Gun handles well. Should I trade it . Thank's
Old 10-14-2018, 01:11 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Member #1368
The Turks are where the Spanish were a few decades ago; that is, they can build anything from cheap crap to high end expensive guns (but still a lot less than than any other euro or USA maker)

I own the S&W Elite Gold SxS that was made by AKUS. It has a true trigger plate action (ala John Dickson or MacNaughton), engine turned internals, true bone and charcoal color case hardening. This company also made the true 7 pin sidelock that was sold by Kimber for a while. My S&W is now called the Dickinson and old by Cabela's.

Mine is fixed chokes of .009 and .016, a nice IC/M with double triggers, English grip, MANUAL safety (yippee!) and a splinter forearm - the classic SxS design. It will be getting a nice test near Thanksgiving at a Georgia quail plantation.
RKB likes this.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote