Turkish made shotguns? - Page 5 - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Turkish made shotguns?

This is a discussion on Turkish made shotguns? within the Shotgun Talk forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; I love always Turkish shotgun...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Talk

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2019, 07:39 PM   #41

Member #16396
I love always Turkish shotgun
larrykbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-21-2019, 08:22 PM   #42

Member #6849
I heard all the reservations many had about the reliability/durability of Turkish made shotguns. There is some reason for that, I suppose. After reading quite a few reviews, and despite the bad press given Turkish made shotguns, I purchased a Weatherby SA-08 Deluxe 20 gauge, and it has been one very nice shotgun. Fit and finish was/is excellent, and it doesn't jam, breaking target after target on the skeet field. I carried it hunting pheasants last fall, and every bird that I pulled up on ended in my bag. I'm not sure about the others, but I'd buy another Weatherby SA-08.
Aldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:44 AM   #43
Super Moderator

Member #1368
The Weatherby semis are a great bargain and value for the money. They have a great reputation.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2019, 08:51 PM   #44
RKB

Member #2031
Not with me.
I've only one experience with one SA-08, and it shot 10" left and over 2ft under POA at 32 yds on a pattern board - five shots in a row, same POI. I've never seen a single barrel gun so far off on a pattern board.
Granted - anyone can have a lemon, but this can't even be used for lemonade.
RKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:48 PM   #45

Member #16080
Old vs New Shotguns

My first "new-in-the-box" shotgun was a 20ga Remington 1100 in 1972, a proven brand and model. It wasn't until early 2019 that I took a chance and bought another "new-in-the-box", this time a 16ga F.A.I.R. Italian-made side-by-side, but only after some on-line research. So far I am pleased with the exception that it can be quiet difficult to reassemble after separating the barrels from the receiver until you 'get-the-hang-of-it'. All of my other firearms were purchased as "used" - mainly because that was all I could afford.

The best advice one can give is to suggest that you read all the articles you can about the type of firearm you wish to purchase. Weed out those writers who have been "bought" by the gun manufacturer or magazine. Go for the real expert, sometimes a hard thing to do. Keep asking questions. But watch out for that self-proclaimed "gun expert", in-front of or behind the gun counter, or at the shooting range. Unfortunately they are the "jail house lawyers" among us honest shooters who are eager and sincere in our efforts to help new shooters.Stick with the older, PROVEN brands and models and you should not go wrong.
RKB likes this.

Last edited by whome; 08-24-2019 at 07:52 PM. Reason: important word left out that effected meaning of sentence
whome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:30 PM   #46

Member #15748
Originally Posted by mnarcher View Post
I have been looking at a lot of new shotguns. Used guns are slim pickings around here, so I am looking at brand new. I want a semi-auto brush beater. So far, most of them I am finding are made in Turkey.

How do you all feel about Turkish made firearms, shotguns, in particular?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think that most of the bad press on Turk shotguns comes from the clays community. Some of the criticism may be valid for a trap/skeet/5 stand shooter because they normally fire more rounds in a day that a hunter will fire in a year which requires higher quality than what a hunter actually needs. Trap shooters are constantly having their even high price guns repaired because of the number of rounds fired. As a contrast, I still have my mother's hunting shotgun from the 1930s that still works flawlessly.

The other issue, also mostly from clay shooters has to do with fit and finish and other cosmetic issues. There is a fairly large segment of clay shooters who pay for upgrades in wood and engraving and are very critical of guns that don't show off well.

If all I wanted was a shotgun for hunting, my main concern would be how well regulated the barrels were. I would not buy a shotgun without a 100% return policy that I had not taken to a pattern board first before paying for it. Lower price guns are more likely to have barrel regulation problems, but even higher priced guns can have the same problem - especially the newer and new ones.

All that said, if the gun fits and balances correctly for you, and the barrels are properly regulated, the Turk guns are fine for hunters.
dawgs2 likes this.

National Rifle Association
2nd Amendment Foundation
Illinois State Rifle Association
Guns Save Lives
SASS
Cowboy Mounted Shooting Association
retired LEOSA firearms instructor

Last edited by ChanceMcCall; 08-29-2019 at 04:32 PM. Reason: added material
ChanceMcCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:31 AM   #47

Member #16516
I have a Stevens 555 in .410 that I shoot at the skeet field a lot. It's not as nice as some of the other guns out there but it breaks clays and holds it's own if I do my part. I've shot it 50 rounds straight (doubles) and have gotten it super hot but it has never malfunctioned.

The fit and finish are good, actually really good, albeit not as shiny and polished as my Brownings or Winchester, nor is the wood anywhere near as nice. They style of the gun is basic compared to an entry level Citoti or Silver Pigeon. Of all the Turkish 410s I looked at and considered, I preferred the Stevens.

If you are on a budget, the Turkish guns are fine. If you want a Gucci gun, save your lunch money and buy one. The most important thing is that the gun fits you well. Regardless of what you decide or buy, spend money getting the gun fitted to you for best results.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
The Happy Kaboomer likes this.
octanejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote