shotgun cleaning snakes for 12 gauge shotguns - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

shotgun cleaning snakes for 12 gauge shotguns

This is a discussion on shotgun cleaning snakes for 12 gauge shotguns within the Shotgun Talk forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; I always clean my shotguns with cleaning patches and gun oil. Noticed one person at the range was using a snake to clean his shotgun. ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Talk

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2017, 04:20 PM   #1

Member #9162
shotgun cleaning snakes for 12 gauge shotguns

I always clean my shotguns with cleaning patches and gun oil. Noticed one person at the range was using a snake to clean his shotgun. Seems to me it would be good for first time use then additional cleanings would be completed with a "snake" that would not be clean.
Wanted others opinions about cleaning snakes.
ejensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-29-2017, 05:24 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Good for a quick cleaning; they can be cleaned with a jug of warm water.some Dawn and some shaking. If the barrel is chrome lined, it doesn't make it that much of a chore.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:40 PM   #3

Member #9162
OneOunceLoad
Thank you for the information
Chris
ejensen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2017, 05:24 PM   #4

Member #3224
Bore Snakes work great. Use them all the time. Check out the Tico Tool too.
smokintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:08 PM   #5
RKB

Member #2031
The Tico Tool really surprised me with how well it works, especially on a still-warm barrel. That, or a BoreSnake, I use for routine quick maintenance. Over the winter, all the smoothbores get a deep barrel cleaning with a good brush and an electric drill.
Mad Murdock likes this.
RKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:16 PM   #6

Member #1906
I like to run a Bore snake through a warm bore directly after shooting. This cleans out a lot of junk so it takes a lot less patches when you get home and can do a proper job of it.
Tie on a tail made from paracord onto your snake so if the pull through breaks off inside the barrel, at least you can back it out.
RKB and missedagain like this.
John Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:43 AM   #7
RKB

Member #2031
Originally Posted by John Joseph View Post
I like to run a Bore snake through a warm bore directly after shooting. This cleans out a lot of junk so it takes a lot less patches when you get home and can do a proper job of it.
Tie on a tail made from paracord onto your snake so if the pull through breaks off inside the barrel, at least you can back it out.
+1000. If you have ever seen one stuck in the bore with a broken cord, and what a job it can be to remove it, you will know why.
RKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:21 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Member #1368
The worst cases of stuck bore snakes are .22lr and .223 barrels - the smaller the diameter, the harder it seems to be.
Mad Murdock and Flash like this.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 02:18 PM   #9

Member #4993
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
The worst cases of stuck bore snakes are .22lr and .223 barrels - the smaller the diameter, the harder it seems to be.
That's the truth! 204 is rough too.

To know the future is to be trapped by it
oneounceload likes this.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:02 PM   #10

Member #9178
we clean our bore snakes by putting them in a zipper pillow case and washing them in the clothes washer (on gentle). They come out clean and smelling fresh. we hang them outside to dry and run and empty load thru the washer to get rid of any oil residue so it won't get on our clothes.
one eyed shooter is online now   Reply With Quote