shotgun cleaning snakes for 12 gauge shotguns - Page 2 - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

shotgun cleaning snakes for 12 gauge shotguns

This is a discussion on shotgun cleaning snakes for 12 gauge shotguns within the Shotgun Talk forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; To keep the nasties out of the washer, take an old gallon milk jug, hot water and DAWN - shake like crazy, rinse and repeat ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Talk

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2018, 06:02 AM   #11
Super Moderator

Member #1368
To keep the nasties out of the washer, take an old gallon milk jug, hot water and DAWN - shake like crazy, rinse and repeat as necessary and hang to dry.
RKB and one eyed shooter like this.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-31-2018, 09:42 AM   #12

Member #9178
Excellent idea..
I just dug a 1 1/2 gallon detergent bottle out of our recycle bin and it looks to be the ideal "snake" cleaner. My wife thanks you for your ingeniousness !
one eyed shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:22 PM   #13

Member #9178
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
To keep the nasties out of the washer, take an old gallon milk jug, hot water and DAWN - shake like crazy, rinse and repeat as necessary and hang to dry.
I cleaned our guns this AM and decided to try this method of cleaning my Viper Bore Snake.
I had to run the "snake" thru this process 3 times but it came out cleaner than my previous way of using the clothes washer.
I did let the snake soak in the solution for a couple of hours after the first treatment and I am sure that the Dawn worked its way through the oil and powder residue.

Thank you OneOunceLoad for this tip....
You are truly the Martha Stewart of the shotgunning world !!!
one eyed shooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2019, 03:32 PM   #14

Member #9178
An update on cleaning the bore snake... Add a bit of bleach to the HOT water and DAWN.... Then shake like crazy and rinse
Old 02-23-2019, 06:58 AM   #15

Member #5570
The worst cases of stuck bore snakes are .22lr and .223 barrels - the smaller the diameter, the harder it seems to be.
Absolutely. I go to AR15.com regularly just to read the threads about some poor guy with a boresnake stuck in his AR and what it takes to get it out of there.

Entertainment at its best.

I use Dewey rods on handguns and rifles, Antique wood rods on my shotguns for nostalgia's sake.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:42 PM   #16

Member #16034
Unbelievable! I told my wife about running the snakes through the washing machine and she said I would be doing it twice - the first and the last time! I've read in an English shotgun magazine that their shooters will use a snake "one size larger" should the shotgun be extra dirty and/or have a lot of curd [powder, plastic] built up in the barrels. But it is critical that the snake be heavily loaded with bore cleaner at the front and gun oil at the rear to facilitate pulling the snake through the barrel. Excessive passes are to be avoided. [I purchased an used 16ga shotgun with a filthy barrel and this process worked great with a 12ga snake.] Plus snakes are easier to put in my range bag then any of my cleaning rods.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:37 PM   #17

Member #460
Give me a rod & brush/mop any day. Easier to use and no messy cleanup.
The Happy Kaboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:37 PM   #18

Member #16080
Several years ago I read in a British shotgun magazine that their shooters would use a snake one size larger to clean a really dirty shotgun barrel: 12ga in the 16ga; 16ga in the 20ga; etc. However, one must ensure that the snake has a sufficient amount of bore cleaner on the front end and gun oil on the rear to ensure smooth pulling and less chance of the snake being lodged. Be prepared for a hard pull.
whome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:59 AM   #19

Member #1732
Use a muzzleloader stuck ball tool to remove a stuck bore snake.
CSM Certified Instructor
NSCA Certified Level II Instructor since 1998
Deep River Sporting Clays and Shooting School
SnapCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:25 AM   #20
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Or, you tie a piece of paracord to the back loop end so you can pull it back out easily.
Mad Murdock likes this.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote