1/8 oz Bluedot loads 12 ga - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

1/8 oz Bluedot loads 12 ga

This is a discussion on 1/8 oz Bluedot loads 12 ga within the Shotgun Reloading forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; Does anyone have a good 1/8 oz lead shot Bluedot 12 ga load?...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Reloading

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By oneounceload
  • 1 Post By ramblinrebel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2017, 09:12 AM   #1

Member #7737
1/8 oz Bluedot loads 12 ga

Does anyone have a good 1/8 oz lead shot Bluedot 12 ga load?
gunmansk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-29-2017, 09:13 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Howdsy from FL!

1/8??? Do you mean 1-1/8 or 7/8 by chance?
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:16 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Member #1368
BlueDot is designed for heavy hunting loads starting at 1-1/4 oz and going up from there
Flash and ramblinrebel like this.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:58 PM   #4

Member #3224
I have loaded Blue Dot in this load but you have to have a very firm crimp and you will get unburned powder it the barrel.
smokintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:43 PM   #5

Member #6849
I would not recommend the use of Blue Dot for target loads. It's a slow burning powder designed to achieve higher velocity for heavier loads used most often for hunting. You will drive others off the line due to the amount of powder burned just before leaving the barrel or after leaving the barrel. It's conducive to losing friends rather than making them if used for trap, skeet or sporting clays.
Aldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:02 AM   #6

Member #18534
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
BlueDot is designed for heavy hunting loads starting at 1-1/4 oz and going up from there
So is 800 X but perhaps there are reasons you might not have thought of for pursuing lighter loads for Blue Dot. Sometime slow burning shotgun powders can lend themselves to low pressure loads for older shotguns. For example the 800 X load which I came across for a 1 1/8 oz. load had a 5,800 PSI a pressure range that an older shotgun can better handle and function with. What I find discouraging is powder manufactures when they come up with loads for various powders they market have a tendency to promote their higher pressure loads, because they usually provided high velocities or sometime heavier slower magnum loads. They do the same for rifles and their slower burning medium powders They provide loads for shooting cast using their fast burning powder. They seem to overlook the fact that hard cast bullet can be pushed at velocities upwards of 2000 to 2200 fps at the lower end of the medium powder range.
lithargoel@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:46 PM   #7

Member #17442
Back in 2004 I shot skeet with a group of hunters. They was shooting their hunting loads. We were shooting at night and needless to say they were putting on a show. It looked like they were shooting flame throwers. Them guns were belching fire like you wouldn't believe. All that from Blue Dot.
oneounceload likes this.
ramblinrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 11:26 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
So is 800 X but perhaps there are reasons you might not have thought of for pursuing lighter loads for Blue Dot. Sometime slow burning shotgun powders can lend themselves to low pressure loads for older shotguns. For example the 800 X load which I came across for a 1 1/8 oz. load had a 5,800 PSI a pressure range that an older shotgun can better handle and function with. What I find discouraging is powder manufactures when they come up with loads for various powders they market have a tendency to promote their higher pressure loads, because they usually provided high velocities or sometime heavier slower magnum loads. They do the same for rifles and their slower burning medium powders They provide loads for shooting cast using their fast burning powder. They seem to overlook the fact that hard cast bullet can be pushed at velocities upwards of 2000 to 2200 fps at the lower end of the medium powder range.
You can find low pressure loads that are better suited; also RST sells Vintager loads designed for old guns.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:43 PM   #9

Member #18534
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
You can find low pressure loads that are better suited; also RST sells Vintager loads designed for old guns.
Thank you for the info oneounceload, I'm aware of other powders for low pressure loads, and I can load black powder. if it comes to that. My preference, however, is to load my own ammunition, rather than purchase manufactured stuff. For me it adds to the shooting experience, plus I've been doing it for years. - Gun Nut

Last edited by [email protected]; 11-21-2020 at 06:28 AM.
lithargoel@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

blue dot 12 ga 1 1/8 oz

Click on a term to search for related topics.