Still crushing hulls. - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Still crushing hulls.

This is a discussion on Still crushing hulls. within the Shotgun Reloading forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; Hey all I'm new to the forum and new to rolling my own shotshells. I've got a mec grabber, I've adjusted the cam all the ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Reloading

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2020, 06:12 PM   #1

Member #18476
Still crushing hulls.

Hey all I'm new to the forum and new to rolling my own shotshells. I've got a mec grabber, I've adjusted the cam all the way up, my shot is below the wad top and well below the crimp line but still crushing. Any ideas??
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-07-2020, 07:08 PM   #2

Member #18476
Let me elaborate a little more. 34.5 grains of blue dot. 1 1/8 oz shot and a winAa12F114
Old 11-07-2020, 07:08 PM   #3

Member #18476
Rem STS Hull

Old 11-07-2020, 08:51 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Member #1368
So, you have adjusted both the precrimp and final crimp stages? Not using any wad pressure are you?
From what you described, things should be good to go.
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 07:06 AM   #5

Member #12378
First thing I would do is to move station #6 way up, far enough that it is out of the picture so to speak. All it does is put a radius on the finished shell so it feeds better in semi's and auto's. But it is a know cause of crushed hulls.

Next I would adjust the pre-crimp so the hole left is about the size of a primer cup.
Now adjust the crimp, station #5 until its about the depth of the thickness of a dime.
Last go back to #6 and use just enough so the shells feed in your gun.

Steve
oneounceload, dawgs2 and Flash like this.
Old 11-08-2020, 07:14 PM   #6

Member #17580
34.5 gr. in a 1 1/8 ounce load ???. I'm suspicious IMMEDIATELY RECHECK YOUR DATA !.
As to the crimping do You have the correct crimp starter # 6 or #8 point ?.

To determine which crimp-starter to use in your press, simply count the folds in the top of the shells you are reloading. You can do the same with the crimp-starter itself if the six-pointer and the eight-pointer look alike on the outside, and they often do. It is important to use the proper crimp-starter, because folding a six-point hull with an eight-point crimp starter for example is going to make a mess of your hull.

Do not agonize over the six-point or eight-point crimp decision. Go with what works for you and your machine. Adjust the crimp starter until you can see that folds have been introduced to the hull. Closing your shell is often a multi-stage process and starting the crimp is only step number one. If you overdo it with this adjustment, the crimp may smash together in the center during the final stage.

In applying crimps, we often refer to a hull’s “memory.” This means that once plastic “takes a set” or is creased, it will usually return to this shape the next time you bend it. New, unfired hulls may have to have folds introduced to the plastic by slowly working the hull into the crimp starter station a couple of times before moving on to the final crimp station.

The final crimp station closes the hull, leaving what should be a flat, level surface across the top. You want the center hole to be as small as possible, without being crushed together completely, and to form a spiral swirl. In general, the folded crimp will provide you with a positive closure that is about 1/16- to 1/10-inch deep.
packrat likes this.
OU12/20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:09 PM   #7

Member #18314
Originally Posted by OU12/20 View Post
The final crimp station closes the hull, leaving what should be a flat, level surface across the top. You want the center hole to be as small as possible, without being crushed together completely, and to form a spiral swirl. In general, the folded crimp will provide you with a positive closure that is about 1/16- to 1/10-inch deep.
This would normally be considered to be to deep. 1/16" = .0625", 1/10" = .100"
A proper crimp should be .050 ~ .055" Going beyond this will increase both velocity and pressure. What you end up with may be safe, but then again, maybe not.

From the Hodgdon website

Last edited by ceh383; 11-10-2020 at 11:12 PM.
ceh383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 10:10 AM   #8

Member #15938
Which station in the Grabber is crushing the hull? It's usually possible to look at the hulls in each station and see at which point the wrinkle appears. You can then adjust the die at the station accordingly.

Good luck!

Pete
pbansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:11 PM   #9

Member #18534
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Hey all I'm new to the forum and new to rolling my own shotshells. I've got a mec grabber, I've adjusted the cam all the way up, my shot is below the wad top and well below the crimp line but still crushing. Any ideas??
What length hulls are you attempting to reload, 2 3/4" or 3"? My MECs are older versions, but your mec grabber appears to have the same stand/stack. If the crushing is happening in the final stage of closing the crimp and you are loading 3" hulls. It could be your stack is set for 2 3/4" hulls. There are adjustment bolt holes in the stack and a bolt which can be removed and reinsert in a different bolt hole to raise and lower the stack for loading different length hulls. If it is adjusted down for 2 3/4" and you are attempting to load 3" when you go to complete the crimp it will crush the hull. I'm not sure this will fix your problem, but it is something to check out.
- Gun Nut
lithargoel@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:58 PM   #10

Member #18476
Originally Posted by OU12/20 View Post
34.5 gr. in a 1 1/8 ounce load ???. I'm suspicious IMMEDIATELY RECHECK YOUR DATA !.
As to the crimping do You have the correct crimp starter # 6 or #8 point ?.

To determine which crimp-starter to use in your press, simply count the folds in the top of the shells you are reloading. You can do the same with the crimp-starter itself if the six-pointer and the eight-pointer look alike on the outside, and they often do. It is important to use the proper crimp-starter, because folding a six-point hull with an eight-point crimp starter for example is going to make a mess of your hull.

Do not agonize over the six-point or eight-point crimp decision. Go with what works for you and your machine. Adjust the crimp starter until you can see that folds have been introduced to the hull. Closing your shell is often a multi-stage process and starting the crimp is only step number one. If you overdo it with this adjustment, the crimp may smash together in the center during the final stage.

In applying crimps, we often refer to a hull’s “memory.” This means that once plastic “takes a set” or is creased, it will usually return to this shape the next time you bend it. New, unfired hulls may have to have folds introduced to the plastic by slowly working the hull into the crimp starter station a couple of times before moving on to the final crimp station.

Actually that load is listed for 1 1/4 ounce loads in the Lyman 5th addition... though I appreciate your concern,, all caps and everything