How to adjust powder and shot? - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

How to adjust powder and shot?

This is a discussion on How to adjust powder and shot? within the Shotgun Reloading forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; I just bought a used MEC 650 from a friend. I’ve reloaded rifle and pistol for decades but not shotgun. How do I adjust the ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Reloading

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2020, 07:30 PM   #1

Member #18418
How to adjust powder and shot?

I just bought a used MEC 650 from a friend. I’ve reloaded rifle and pistol for decades but not shotgun. How do I adjust the powder and shot that is dispensed? On my Dillon there is a screw that adjusts the volume of the bar space but I see nothing like that on the MEC.

Last edited by edipser; 11-01-2020 at 11:39 AM.
edipser is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-01-2020, 07:15 PM   #2

Member #7073
powder and shot are adjusted with bushings that are in the bar, A different bushing is used let say from 1 oz. to 1 1/8 oz. of shot you would use a bigger bushing.
You look up on the bushing chart what # of bushing for a particular powder and charge weight of powder, shot bushings are marked as per how much shot the bushing will throw.
edipser likes this.
packrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:26 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Member #1368
The bar is generally fixed for one weight of shot_ex: 1oz, 1-1/8, 1-1/4, 7/8 or whatever. The powder for the bar is changed using bushings. That said, the bushing chart is NEVER right when it comes to what it says the charge weight will be and what it actually drops, so a scale is crucial. My current load called for a #26 bushing but the weight I wanted wasn't achieved until I went to a #30.

What load are you trying to achieve?
edipser likes this.
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2020, 07:59 AM   #4

Member #12378
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
The bar is generally fixed for one weight of shot_ex: 1oz, 1-1/8, 1-1/4, 7/8 or whatever. The powder for the bar is changed using bushings. That said, the bushing chart is NEVER right when it comes to what it says the charge weight will be and what it actually drops, so a scale is crucial. My current load called for a #26 bushing but the weight I wanted wasn't achieved until I went to a #30.

What load are you trying to achieve?

This, all the way. There have never been MEC shot bushings.

Steve
oneounceload likes this.
Old 11-02-2020, 11:02 AM   #5

Member #5570
Originally Posted by SteveY View Post
This, all the way. There have never been MEC shot bushings.

Steve
True, but I do have a 170s era Mec bar for a 600 Jr. that was drilled out for Texan shot bushings. I got a bunch of the shot bushings at a flea market for $1.00 each. Works great.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 11:53 AM   #6

Member #7073
Quote "There have never been MEC shot bushings"

Yes your right, but other shot shell loaders have shot bushings {Texan, Ponsness-Warren and older press like Bair, Pacific, the Hornady 366 no longer made and others}
Sorry after I tried to explain how it was done I remembered MEC uses a fixed bar.
I hope the poster asking about adjust the powder and shot is not confused by my answer..
Attached Thumbnails
How to adjust powder and shot?-img_2038.jpg  
edipser likes this.

Last edited by packrat; 11-02-2020 at 12:15 PM. Reason: photo
packrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 01:09 PM   #7

Member #12378
Yes all very true, there are machines that only use bushings and some MEC's that can use a bushing but its not a MEC bushing. Why MEC has not marketed a system that uses bushings on both sides is beyond me.

Steve
Old 11-02-2020, 01:13 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Originally Posted by packrat View Post
Quote "There have never been MEC shot bushings"

Yes your right, but other shot shell loaders have shot bushings {Texan, Ponsness-Warren and older press like Bair, Pacific, the Hornady 366 no longer made and others}
Sorry after I tried to explain how it was done I remembered MEC uses a fixed bar.
I hope the poster asking about adjust the powder and shot is not confused by my answer..
The modern RCBS Grand uses bushings for both (and PW ones work just fine)
Old 11-02-2020, 01:15 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Originally Posted by SteveY View Post
Yes all very true, there are machines that only use bushings and some MEC's that can use a bushing but its not a MEC bushing. Why MEC has not marketed a system that uses bushings on both sides is beyond me.

Steve
So they can dell more charge bars.....seriously, they should have done that a long time ago because the charge bars will drop differing weights depending on the amount of antimony in the shot
Old 11-02-2020, 04:08 PM   #10

Member #12378
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
So they can dell more charge bars.....seriously, they should have done that a long time ago because the charge bars will drop differing weights depending on the amount of antimony in the shot
All you need is a MEC 1 1/4 oz. bar with a dog bone and a lathe. Using your lathe remove the flange from the MEC bushing and then reduce the bushing OD to fit snuggly in the 1 1/4 oz. hole. Slick.

Steve