How to adjust powder and shot? - Page 2 - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

How to adjust powder and shot?

This is a discussion on How to adjust powder and shot? within the Shotgun Reloading forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; OR, you were smart years ago and bought the Universal charge bar - I have two of them on my MEC Jrs...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Reloading

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2020, 06:27 AM   #11
Super Moderator

Member #1368
OR, you were smart years ago and bought the Universal charge bar - I have two of them on my MEC Jrs
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-03-2020, 06:48 AM   #12

Member #5570
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
OR, you were smart years ago and bought the Universal charge bar - I have two of them on my MEC Jrs
I have two of them I bought a long, long time ago and they sit on my loading bench.

I hate those things. The best thing about them is that they came with zinc powder baffles which I use in a 600Jr. and a 9000G.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:50 PM   #13

Member #18418
Thanks, everyone, for the explanation.

I found this page and pdf on the MEC website:
https://www.mecoutdoors.com/progress...lead-shot-bars
https://www.mecoutdoors.com/content/...shingChart.pdf

However, one thing I still don't understand:

They have bushings and a table for different powders but they treat all lead by weight without regard for the variation in volume up the scale from buck shot to #9 skeet. I found variation in weight for the same volume just between 7 1/2 and 9 shot due to the fact that smaller shot will be more compact.

Is the variation in shot weight just not considered significant?
edipser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2020, 10:20 PM   #14

Member #12378
Originally Posted by edipser View Post
I found variation in weight for the same volume just between 7 1/2 and 9 shot due to the fact that smaller shot will be more compact.
Very true, but that difference is less then 10 pellets. The ones it bothers will buy a UCB or open up the shot side of a MEC bar.

Steve
edipser likes this.
Old 11-04-2020, 09:45 AM   #15

Member #5570
Originally Posted by SteveY View Post
Very true, but that difference is less then 10 pellets. The ones it bothers will buy a UCB or open up the shot side of a MEC bar.

Steve
I can't imagine someone actually caring about that small a difference, but I'm sure there are people that do.

They're probably the same ones who come home from shooting, go into the garage and not the house, strip completely and throw all their clothes into a washer, then take a shower all in the hopes of washing all the debris from shooting off their clothes and body before going in the house.
oneounceload likes this.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 12:25 PM   #16

Member #12378
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
I can't imagine someone actually caring about that small a difference, but I'm sure there are people that do.

They're probably the same ones who come home from shooting, go into the garage and not the house, strip completely and throw all their clothes into a washer, then take a shower all in the hopes of washing all the debris from shooting off their clothes and body before going in the house.
Well....every time I chip or break in half a target while using my 410 I smile and wonder "if".

Steve
Old 11-04-2020, 01:08 PM   #17

Member #18418
I measured and the 7.5 shot is 1.07oz and the 9 shot is 1.12oz. So you were right, not that much difference and well below the max load.

Thanks everyone for helping me get started with shotgun reloading.
edipser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 04:28 PM   #18
Super Moderator

Member #1368
A lot also depends on the antimony in the shot. Those bushings were developed to drop their stated weight using pure lead shot. When you add antimony, you get the same volume, but the weight is less.
As to buckshot, it will not drop down the tube; that is hand-stacked to get the proper fit.
Old 11-06-2020, 05:26 PM   #19

Member #17580
Well one thing any of us who've ever used MEC loaders can agree on ;

Powder bushings were gauged on Planet Uranus or is it Planet 9 now

I bought several sets of bushings and began bore polishing ,even cutting ID slightly and then polishing ,so as to achieve desired charge weight with a given powder . I also used a dremel engraver so as to mark them permanently .

I might add while polishing or even turning them ,is OK just make sure when marking for the charge and the powder : That the Powder manufacture ISN'T gonna DROP THAT POWDER . Win Superlite or WSL ring bells

I'm down to My last Two kegs , I love that stuff and WHY they substituted Super Target and Super Field for it I'll NEVER understand ?? . WST WSF is just SUPER DIRTY powder . Somewhat reminiscent of FLOOR SWEEPINGS
OU12/20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 05:45 PM   #20
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Another way to adjust bushings is to fill one a that is larger than you want with some material and then drill out to the size you need. You can also take some form of metal tape and line the inside to get the volume you want.